1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Feb 9 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]387578[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure, but I believe the 99 song limit is for the VAIS unit only, not for the DICE unit.

A glance though recent posts seems to indicate that you can use the touchscreen controls as well as the iPod controls.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Feb 9 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]387578[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about the number of playlists, but I can have over 99 songs on a playlist without problems. The controls stay active when in motion. As for controls with a DICE, it uses the CD disc buttons for initial control (D1 to D6). If the D1 button is pushed, you can move up and down within a Playlist using the buttons on the steering wheel. This way you can change the song if you don't want to listen to it. If D2 is pushed, using the buttons on the steering wheel changes Playlists. In your example, you'd press D2 and use the buttons on the steering wheel to move up or down one playlist at a time until you reach the playlist you want. D3 changes Albums and D4 changes Chapters. Since there's an AUX input, D5 toggles between the iPod and the AUX input. D6 displays information about the DICE.

If the Title button is pushed you will see TITLE, ALBUM and ARTIST, but only if you're in D1. In D2-D4 the only thing you'll see is the title.

A couple more things about controls. Like with a CDs a short push on the steering wheel controls will kick you to the next song (or playlist or album or chapter) while a long push moves you to the next button. For example, I want to be on the 3rd playlist. I first have it on D2 and move until I'm there, then I press the down button (on the steering wheel) for a long push. That'll put me in D1 and I move up to the desired song. Also, the buttons on the MFD gives you fast forward and reverse (as long as they're held down).

You still have control via the iPod to quickly move around (or activate Shuffle).

3. eric.krause

eric.krause New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dzoutzidis @ Feb 9 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]387578[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it's doable. First, you have to understand how the dice tricks the cd player. If you are on "disk 1" (quotes because you are using the ipod, and not a cd) pressing up and down changes tracks. If you change to "disk 2" it lets you change playlists.
    So you would change to disk 2, find the playlist you wanted. Then change back to disk 1 and find the song.

4. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone know when the units will be available? I ordered mine on Jan. 26th. Haven't heard anything yet.

5. jesart

jesart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 9 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]387761[/snapback]</div>

Same here, I can't wait to get a hold of it. I've been using the AUX in my Prius and I don't like it very much. It's okay. I have to keep changing the volume control on my IPOD and/or steering wheel. Sometimes the sound base is load and I need to keep adjusting the volume on my IPOD so it won't blow up the speakers or damage the AMP.

Does anyone out there have the DICE installed on a 2007? Any issues?

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey everybody! Just wanted to update the thread and let everyone know that all outstanding orders have been shipped today via USPS Priority Mail. Most of you should receive them within 2-3 days.

As always, technical issues should be directed toward DICE, NOT the PriusChat Shop, although we are always willing to help get you in touch with the proper folks over at DICE.

7. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the update Danny. I'm looking forward to installing mine.

8. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Feb 5 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]385918[/snapback]</div>
    I just wanted to follow up now that it's been over a week. The new unit has continued to work perfectly in my 2006, with the exception of the little quirk mentioned above. I'm a happy camper now.

9. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

I got my DICE unit in the mail today, but it'll have to wait until the weekend for the install. Looking forward to hearing all of my tunes in the car.

10. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yup. Received mine today and installed it (2005). Works just fine. Though I wish it would show the artists name, or album name, when using button one or two. Perhaps in the next f/w update....

At any rate. It will be great having a juke box in my car now. :)

11. jesart

jesart Junior Member

:(

I got my DICE yesterday but somewhat disappointed because I was missing the IPOD interface cable. :angry: I received the DICE box and two wiring harness. I called DICE and spoke with a lady name Jessie. The first lady I spoke with had no clue on what I was talking about. She did mention it was her first day on the job. To make things short, DICE shipped my IPOD cable via UPS right away. Jessie was super professional and also apologized for the missing part. I emailed Danny about this issue. If you’re missing anything contact [email protected]. She'll take care of you.

I guess my install is postponed until I get this cable. Hopefully next week! :lol:

12. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jesart @ Feb 16 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]391429[/snapback]</div>
    That's a bummer. Yeah. Jessie seems pretty cool.

*Note that my harness would not "snap" (lock) into the radio. It simply is sticking there, though I tried pushing rather hard. A tech guy at DICE said that should be fine as long as it's tight.

2nd gripe so far: If I skip tracks to quickly (normal speed on any other player) the unit freezes and I have to unplug the cable from the DICE to the radio to correct it. If I wait till all text is showing before skipping to next track, all is fine. A bit slow that way though.

For the price, I hope they correct these issues over time. It sure is great having the "juke box" in the car though.

13. jesart

jesart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 16 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]391464[/snapback]</div>

Hi Pinan,

I go through Murrieta on a daily basis! Nice to see a fellow Inland Empire priuschatter! :) Where did you put your DICE unit? That's going to be a pain if the IPOD freezes up. Did you have to take everything apart to reset the DICE unit? I would hate to remove the dash everytime it freezes up. :eek: Can you email me and let me know how you installed the unit. I was looking at the VAIS instructions. Is that what you used? Thx

14. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Jesart :)

I simply put the DICE unit in the lower glove box, running the cable through the lower left hole. Unplugging then reconnecting the DICE clears the freeze. No problem, just a shame.

Yes, the VAIS instructions were what I looked at. Really easy, though removing the big white wire block was a pain. The bottom clip broke on mine. I used double sticky tape to hold it after. The screw on the top is easy to remove. ......You'll see when you get there. :)

15. jesart

jesart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 16 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]391560[/snapback]</div>

Thanks! I'll let you know how my installation goes.

16. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just ordered mine today. Looks like I just missed the last batch of deliveries. I hope I don't have to wait too long... I am anxious to get it installed and start enjoying it. :)

17. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 16 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]391464[/snapback]</div>
    Strange, I have no such problem in my 2006. Rapidly skipping songs was the first thing I tried to see if I could "confuse" it. Go to disc 6 and verify what your firmware revision says... The new one I got was A0000A, the old one I got was A00008. Also, I'd check and see if your iPod has the most current firmware. Seems odd, since you indicated yours is a 2005, but AFAIK the problems were only on the 2006.

18. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info Mr. Zorg. :)

I know that my IPod's f/w is fine (Nano 2GB, 1.3 f/w). I'll check into the DICE itself. Yeah....it's a bummer.

~~~~~~~~~
    Edit:

Just checked. I too have the A0000A f/w.

19. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 16 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]391845[/snapback]</div>
    What mode did you use? I noticed Mr. Zorg used the MP3 mode. I'm curious if you used SAT or CDC modes? More importantly, does anyone know if there is one we're supposed to use?

My father-in-law just got out of the hospital, so we may go visit him. If not, then I'm installing tomorrow.

20. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 16 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]391903[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I used the MP3 mode. Using the CDC mode doesn't show file text info, so that's no fun. Didn't try SAT mode though.