1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 16 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]391903[/snapback]</div>
    I believe CDC mode. Off/Off on the far right switches. This was the default setting. I get all of the text too.

Interesting. Tonight after reading Mr. Zorg's reply I went and ran the DICE through it's paces. Didn't freeze once. Must have been a new-install-issue. I'm very happy that it's not doing it now (did twice right after install). I'll hope for that to continue.

2. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Feb 16 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]391930[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I'll try SAT mode, and see how it goes then.

3. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

Well I installed the DICE unit today. The results were a bit interesting.

First off, the modes. In SAT modes I could not get any song titles to display. Also there were some control issues; the forward and backward buttons didn't make the songs change, and in fact did nothing from what I could tell. MP3 displayed the song titles, but I had the same kind of control problems. Only the CDC mode seemed to both display the text, and control the device like it is supposed to. I settled with CDC mode, and DICE mode. In this case, all 4 switches set to off.

I should note that at least one person has had problems after first installing their DICE unit that seemed to go away after the first day, so I'm not sure that any of the other modes (MP3 and SAT) woundn't have eventually worked.

The unit works well, but is a little buggy. Since I'm using an 80Gb Video iPod (with firmware versions 1.1.2, not the 1.1.1 recommended) this may add a few glitches. Also, all of my songs (all 5571 of them) are all in one playlist, so switching between playlists is out.

To switch between albums I ran into an interesting bug. If I use the iPod to play a song by artist (say AC/DC Back in Black, I can then use the album function to go to any other AC/DC album, but not any other album that isn't by AC/DC. If I use the iPod and navigate by album, and then choose "All" (at the top of the alphebetical album list on the iPod) I can then use the car (via disc 3) to switch between all of my albums. But only by choosing "All" albums on the iPod.

As has been reported here before, Shuffle play has to be started on the iPod to get it to work in the car. Once it was started, though, it seemed to work fine.

Changing songs on the iPod while connected was a bit slow as any changes had to also update the Dice unit. And text updates are several seconds after the song starts.

Overall, I'm pleased with the audio quality, and that I can now take all of my music anywhere we travel.

For placement, my 2006 is only a package 1, which means I only have the stock stereo. There was plenty of room behind/under the stereo to mount the DICE unit. I wrapped mine in some 1/2" thick foam I had sitting around, and tucked it down underneigth the stereo, and next to, but not touching, the huge white wires box. (didn't want the thing vibrating, and rattleing around in there) The wires went on top. I ran the connecting cable under the white wires box, and in though the bottom hole (slightly enlarged with an exacto knife) of the glove compartment.

Except for mucking around with the different modes, the whole installation was pretty straight forward. I took my time because I wanted a spotless job.

Of note, I now cannot connect my iPod to my Mac without crashing iTunes. I don't know if it's because of the DICE unit or not. I'll have to poke around the Apple site, and see if I have a common problem.

Many thanks to those brave souls who have posted before.

4. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 17 2007, 11:22 PM) [snapback]392277[/snapback]</div>
    I think 1.1.1 is simply the minimum recommended, so yours should be fine.

5. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm having a new issue. If I switch to Disk 2, which should then allow you to search Albums or Playlists, it plays the same album for both the 1st and 2nd click. Higher than that (3 and up), all is fine.

Everything in the IPod/ITunes itself is fine. Suggestions?

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 18 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]392496[/snapback]</div>
    It's the same with mine too. I've just learned to live with it (had it since May '05).

7. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for that aaf709. At least I know it's not me. Heh

Did you ever speak to DICE about it?

8. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

Isn't disk 2 for switching between playlists, and disk 3 for switching between albums? Since I only have albums, not multiple playlists, disk 2 does nothing for me.

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 18 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]392517[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, I don't have as much on my iPod as others so moving around isn't as big a problem.

10. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 18 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]392518[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. I should have just said Playlists.
    I've not used 3 yet, really.

11. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Feb 18 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]392540[/snapback]</div>
    I called today and asked. The person I spoke to could not help on the phone (didn't understand?), and said I should open a ticket at Dice. I did.

I'll keep everyone informed.

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Feb 20 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]393336[/snapback]</div>
    OK. See, it's different depending on what happens during the day. Generally I use the iPod for the drive home and have it with me during the day. If I never use the iPod during the day, when I plug it in and power up, it'll play the first song on the first playlist. Using D2 and the steering wheel button, I move it up to the next playlist, but may take 3 or 4 presses. If I use it during the day, it'll play the first song on the last playlist I was on. Using D2 and the steering wheel button as before, the first press moves it to the first playlist and the second press moves it to next.

13. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Feb 20 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]393360[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, that's it. The first "playlist" is whatever the iPod was already on, the "second" on up are your real playlists. If the iPod wasn't "on" anything to start with, first and second are the same...

14. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Feb 20 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]393402[/snapback]</div>
    I wish that were the case with me. I can switch all over...run through all the playlists, and it will still repeat my 1st one, for 1 and 2.

At any rate. It would be better if the default behavior was more......accurate.

Now.....I might just be crazy. I've been accused of worse.

15. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some interesting information...or not...

I just received my third DICE unit...and let me tell you, am I glad!

The first two units failed due to either just sitting in "INIT" or not displaying anything...

Let me also say that I have upgraded the JBLs with the GTO series speakers...made a bit of a difference...but the DICE would seem to exagerated the bass to the point of distortion...I even started to modify an equalizer unit, so I could place it in line, before the amplifier...

Well, not now!...the new DICE unit allows full bass with no more distortion, and the presence is where I want it!...I thought that I was hearing things, so I swapped the old unit back in...the difference is real...

And, it looks as if it scans for the title more times than before (meaning it flickers about 4 times now)...has not missed a title...

Of course, you mileage will vary, but DAMN!...I'm a happy boy! :lol:

16. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

Well mine has started acting buggy. Yeaterdy I took the car out, and could not get it to forwrd to the next song, or reverse to the previous. Nor could I go to the previous album or back. I changed tracks from the iPod itself, but the text display wouldn't update.

And I mounted the fricken thing back undar the radio.

So this morning I'll pull it out, and mount it in the glove box. That way I can disconnect it to see it that resets it. Hopefully I'll have a similar experience as Pinan.

Maybe it's connector has worked a little loose on the back of the radio, as it has never snapped in place.

17. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 21 2007, 06:56 AM) [snapback]393892[/snapback]</div>
    1. Make sure that Disk 5 is set to 2. I changed mine to 1 without meaning to once. No go.

2. Yup. It's too bad they couldn't make that more secure.

18. jesart

jesart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 21 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]393892[/snapback]</div>

I haven't had a chance to install my DICE unit yet. I was missing the IPOD interface cable initially, so hopefully sometime this weekend I will do the install. From reading the previous posts, I'm having second thoughts about this DICE unit. :( So many issues.

19. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jesart @ Feb 21 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]393954[/snapback]</div>
    If you already have spent the money, and have gone through the hassle of getting the proper cable, then you really should go the extra step of installing the thing. It's pretty easy, and painless.

Not everyone has a negative experience with these. It helps to remember that almost all internet postings are negative, not because the world is negative, but because people generally don't go through the hassle of posting unless they have a problem. There could be 100 positive instalations for every single negative one, and we'd have no way to know.

I'd install the thing, and see what you get.

20. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 21 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]393965[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed.