1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JacquesR

JacquesR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    A few questions please

1-Is Ottawa, Ontario, Canada close enough to soCal :p

2-their web site states that some text radios may not display the MP3 info. Any idea if the JBL installed in the basic prius works well?

3- No DICE dealers in Canada, :angry: ,does anybody know an installer in the STLouis area or Newark (NJ) area

thanks

2. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When connecting the iPod to DICE, it initializes. My guess is that it reads the playlist information at that time. It is not a continuous update. I don't believe it updates the number of times listened.

3. chroma

chroma New Member

could you please post some photos of how the integration looks? the DICE website only shows display on simple toyota radio controls, and not any of the integration with the touchscreen... i want to make sure its well enough done before I order one. thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Sep 20 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]322550[/snapback]</div>

4. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

That is awesome news. Question: how well does this work without the CD changer? How do you select playlists etc. without having the disc 1 disc 2 disc 3 deal?
    Thank you

5. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't need a cd changer, it just uses the CD2 screen that exists in the Prius MFD software.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JacquesR @ Oct 3 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]327565[/snapback]</div>
    It's reported to work well with the Prius. Also, you really don't need an installer to put it in... it's a fairly simple matter of pulling off a few pieces of the dash (which is really easy to do) and plug in the connector to the back and you're set! If you're extremely squeemish about stuff like that, any audio installer should be able to install it for you.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, everyone! Sorry for the delay in getting this information posted to the thread, but things have been a wee bit busy since the server went crazy last week. I spoke with Dension yesterday and verified that they are ready to produce a mass quantity of the new DICE units, and they are ready to go. Beta testing has gone well, and while the product may not be 100% perfect (there are always quirks that you'll find in any product), Dension has offered to be responsible for returns/exchanges in case an update has to be made to the software in the DICE.

So, without further ado, go ahead and start ordering your DICE iPod Integration Unit through the PriusChat Shop:

http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/66

For those of you with brand-spankin' new 2007s, I'm about 90% sure that they will work with your system since there were no changes made to the MFD/audio system that I know of between the 2006 and 2007.

Please remember to click the "Return to Merchant" button in PayPal so that it takes you back to the PriusChat Shop and your order is properly logged. This is still considered a Group Buy, so please also keep in mind that your order will ship once we receive a large order of units in from the manufacturer.

Shipping is free via USPS Priority Mail. International buyers (including our Canadian friends) should contact me before ordering.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JacquesR @ Oct 3 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]327565[/snapback]</div>
    Jacques, bonjour and bienvenue à PriusChat.

Our Prius displays RDS and CD-TEXT. If you see the TITLE button on the CD screen, then your Prius is able to read CD-TEXT. I have the JBL Audio and it reads CD-TEXT.

You can install it yourself. I installed mine and it's actually quite simple. Just remove the lower glovebox and the vent between the glovebox and the radio and you should have access to the back of the stereo system.

9. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Finally! lol, just kidding Danny. You've done a great job getting the site back up, and we all know how much work it's been. having just come from another thread, all i want to say is "Lead me, oh cult leader, to the superior ipodiness of the Prius". :lol:

All signed up and eager to install!

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chroma @ Oct 3 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]327572[/snapback]</div>
    Assuming you have the CD changer, it'll look the same, just with "CD2" in the upper left corner. The disc buttons act as the controls for the iPod. D1 will allow you to change within a playlist (by pressing the buttons on the steering wheel), D2 changes playlists and so on.

This is how it works on the 2004-2005 and it'll probably be the same.

11. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

Can any of the 06 beta testers chime in and give some feedback. I'd like to know what issues if any are to be expected. Any new or enhanced functionality ?

Thanks,

Ken

12. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 3 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]327665[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, I understand that it will work without a changer. I was wondering how you select play lists, genres, artists etc. if you don't have any option for CD1 CD2 CD3 CD4 CD 5 CD6.

Any info along those lines? And does anyone have any pics of what it looks like on the MFD

Thank you

13. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Oct 4 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]328009[/snapback]</div>
    Woot! Just ordered mine... How exciting!

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jmadison @ Oct 4 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]328313[/snapback]</div>
    As far as i know, you'll have all the same options available as those with the CD changer... As far as the MFD programming goes, it doesn't care if a CD changer is attached or not, instead thats simply an option when installing the radio, which is a seperate component. All the programming for a CD changer is there in the MFD (otherwise how could you add one on later? Manufacturers have pretty much had to support addons for years now), it's just not used because you don't have the CD changer

15. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 5 2006, 06:01 AM) [snapback]328375[/snapback]</div>

I get it now. Thanks. MFD has the software for a CD changer all ready there. Plug in Ipod and it reads it like a changer.

Joel

16. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the bottom of your post it says,

"Donate to PriusChat and get all kinds of free stuff."

I donated to PriusChat and I didn't get anything.

17. JacquesR

JacquesR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 4 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]328046[/snapback]</div>
    thanks

when I was buying my prius, the quebec specs on the web AND on the brochure at dealers did specify
    AM/FM/CD/MP3 as Standard. That was confirmed ny the sales people.

When I could not use it, I went back with a few mp3 CDs and 2 guys tried them on 2 other priuses to figure out why it did not work. There is supposedly a mp3 guru in the service dept but he wasn't there that day.

I sent an email to toyota.ca, they gracefully answered that my problem is strange, told me to try another bitrate, etc while they look for what can be the problem. So I take it that toyota.quebec thinks and states officially that mp3s on CD should work.

still waiting.

does anybody has a clue, (before I buy the DICE and an IPod =$350 CDN)

18. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JacquesR @ Oct 5 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]328506[/snapback]</div>
    Depending on what you mean by did not work, it could be any number of things. Did it even recognize the disc? If not, I would check to make sure the disc is "close" or "finalized" (depending on how your software labels it). I would also check if you're using a el-cheap-o generic brand CD-R or a good brand-name (Maxell, TDK, Memorex, Sony) -- it does make a difference! If neither of those are your problem, I would try a simple basic disc with no folders and just a handful of songs and see what that does. Some players have limitations on the number of songs and/or folders, and sometimes even length of the song title, they can handle. If none of those prove to be the issue, it could well be the bitrate. Try one of the more common bitrates such as 128Kbps or 190Kbps. My deck says it has MP3 support too, though to be honest I've never tried it because I've got my iPod. :)

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Oct 5 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]328512[/snapback]</div>
    Also check the type of the CD-R media you're using... They come in varying "shades", ranging from silver to blue to purple, etc for the recording surface. Different readers have been known to "like" different colors differently.