1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Feb 21 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]394046[/snapback]</div>

can I get some information; What's the firmware on your device? Also, what does your screen say in the upper left hand corner? CD Changer1? Or something else like that? When did you buy it, and was it through Priuschat?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Mar 25 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]412004[/snapback]</div>

Tolladay, did you take these pics? You have the old screen/computer in your 06? That certainly sheds some light on your stuff. We've been pouring over your situation all morning. Yours will work in CDC mode. Other people with an 06/updated screen and computer should use MP3 mode or SAT mode. CDC will not work for them, no text will be displayed.

BTW, I installed a kit and it's working fine in both SAT and MP3 mode. The iPod kit and the HD kit checked out. Continuing the research.... This may not be solved til I get a few known-bad units from a few of you as this may just be an isolated problem with a few units in a batch. William, I'm cooking up your RMA now.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdgkeg @ Mar 29 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]414546[/snapback]</div>

Yea, your order won't go through I don't think. I'd just PM Danny, but it's gonna be a little while before he gets back to you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike.s @ Apr 1 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]416210[/snapback]</div>

I looked it up, and the Neo is actually our kit, rebranded. We're their OEM.

4. mike.s

mike.s New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 2 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]416733[/snapback]</div>
    I've still not heard any more on my 3 weeks+ open case.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike.s @ Apr 2 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]416762[/snapback]</div>

I may have missed it, I'm digging through alot of people's info right now trying to catch up and resolve. Did you send me your info?

n/m I found it. I'll try and sort it out in the morning. I'm still hashing away at this other Prius I have right now.

6. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 2 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]416656[/snapback]</div>
    1) A0000A
    2) I think you saw the screen shot. It only says "CD Changer".
    3) The purchase was early this year. (unless you ment the Prius which we got March 15th, 2006)
    4) Yes, I got it thru PriusChat.

I had a unfunny thing happen today. I came home from work, and my wife said something was wrong with the Prius; she couldn't get the screen to work. The Ipod was with me.

Somehow the DICE unit crashed the screen. I tested first to make sure she was right, (she was) then unpluged the DICE unit from the cord that goes to the radio. I then started up the car again, and everything worked perfectly. Then I shut down the car, plugged in the DICE unit, and powered it up again. All in working order.

I don't know If I could reproduce that again, but it was real. The screen was down, and all the buttons around it (Climate, Audio, Display, Info) did not work, or even make a noise.

Wierd.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Apr 2 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]416902[/snapback]</div>
    Your display is just fine since you have the older computer. Thanks for getting back to me.

The car's computer got overloaded. It can happen by itself, but the odds are better that it's going to happen when you have something plugged into the MFD. The odds seem pretty equal that it's gonna happen no matter what's plugged in. I think, it's only happened to me once and once when someone else had my car. When it happened to me, it was before there was a DICE kit and I had just a Sirius tuner in it. The 2nd time, I'm pretty sure I would have had both the Sirius and DICE installed.

I don't know if it happens with an 06+ unit as often as the older one did. The brain in an 06+ is twice as fast as the generation before.

8. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(augustson @ Apr 1 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]415970[/snapback]</div>
    Same here...

9. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 2 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]416907[/snapback]</div>
    Cool.

What would be the solution to fix it if I didn't have the DICE unit to unlpug?

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Apr 3 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]416914[/snapback]</div>

It should just fix itself when you leave the car off for 30 seconds after you open and close, then lock the doors. That's how long it takes for the car to stop listening for any other commands or activity. I'm not sure how the smart key plays into it exactly. For the car to stop listening, it may disregard the fact the key is nearby after a while or it may not. I think it will.

Or you can do it the easy way and pull the Radio fuse. :D

11. Traffic

Traffic New Member

Quote..........................From Vagabond

So tomorrow or tuesday, I'm taking a kit right off the shelf and installing it into this car. Considering that there hasn't been a problem in the past 8 or so months until very recently, I'm curious to see what the results are going to be. Also considering that we have an 06 Headunit sitting on a desk that hasn't had any problems.

.............................................................................

So what are the results of your install ??????????????????????????

12. tolladay

tolladay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 2 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]416918[/snapback]</div>
    Curious, as the car was locked when I got home, and had been so for at least an hour, and yet still the computer was dead. No smart key either.

Maybe this has something to do with having one of the earlier 06's. Please don't take offense, as this is not intended that way, but somehow I think another solution will be required; at least when there's a DICE unit involved.

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Traffic @ Apr 3 2007, 06:30 AM) [snapback]416966[/snapback]</div>

I posted the results in another post - But it went fine. Both in MP mode and SAT mode it worked good. We saw the error where you would see the 6 discs but no text above it until you pressed the CD/AUX button again, but there are no plans to work on that since it's mainly the Prius doing it and it's simple to get around.

We're refering mostly to the video that was posted but since this installed worked fine on the first try, we're thinking that it was a bad batch that was sent out. Reports have been very few as so far & only for the Prius, so it wasn't a big batch. Once I get a few known bad units from people I'll verify this and start some Quality Control. While I have this Prius, I'm checking each unit that goes out to make sure they work.

Finally, once the PR people rip the pictures off of the install, I'll be posting those up too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tolladay @ Apr 3 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]417028[/snapback]</div>

None taken. That is what SHOULD happen, but it doesn't always fix itself as the radio was designed. But yea, just pull the radio fuse for a minute while the car is off.

14. Conine

Conine New Member

ok got my replacement unit today and just installed it, all works well!! thank you guys very much for the help. btw my switches are 1 up 2 down 3 up 4 up. now is there a thread or post saying how my ipod should be set up, because when i click the folder or file it shows the title of the song for folder and the song for file in all 6 spots on all "pages". thats the only problem so far, figured it might be the way my playlists are set up ]

thanks again!

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Conine @ Apr 5 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]418504[/snapback]</div>

That's the way it's supposed to be. So far we don't support a way to push out playlists to that screen.

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 5 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]418558[/snapback]</div>

Truth be told, I don't know if we're going to. It's value is diminished alot since once the car is moving, you can't get to that screen anyway.

17. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Conine @ Apr 5 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]418504[/snapback]</div>
    What Vagabond didn't say, and the instructions aren't super clear on, is how navigation really works. Because it emulates the CD changer (or SAT, whatever), you use the DISC 1 - 6 selection to navigate around. When on DISC 1, the next/prev controls go to the next/prev SONG, when in DISC 2 mode, the next/prev controls go to the next/prev PLAYLIST. DISCs 3 & 4 are for ALBUM and CHAPTER (I think, I never use them). To change discs, you can just touch the 1 - 6 buttons on the MFD, or press and hold the next/prev button on the steering wheel for about 2 seconds until you hear it beep. When navigating playlists, the very first playlist (the one you always come in on when you move to DISC 2) is "whatever is playing now", the next playlist is the first one in the iPod menu, and so-on. Think of it this way, if you want the third playlist, click next three times. Because there is no way to preserve state when you switch discs, you will always start at the top "whatever is playing now" and navigate down through your playlists. That is to say, if you switch to DISC 2, click next, next, next to get to playlist 3, then switch back to DISC 1 for song control -- and now you decide you want playlist 4 instead, you'll go back to DISC 2, and click next, next, next, next again (not just once). It takes a little getting used to.

The one thing that is a little weird, maybe Vagabond can push them to change this, is the way they show the album/song info on the display. In DISC 1, it displays as you might expect, but DISC 2 will show "PLAYLIST" in the album field to let you know you're in playlist navigation mode. BUT, it still shows the song name in the song field. This makes little sense in playlist mode, I'd much rather see the playlist name there. Maybe there's some technical reason why they can't do that, but I doubt it... Anyway, you either have to A ) memorize the playlist order on your iPod, or B ) be able to recognize your playlists by the first song, or C ) do what I did, as described in this post.

Best of luck, enjoy your new unit!

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Apr 6 2007, 12:55 AM) [snapback]418677[/snapback]</div>

Sure, I can bug em' on that, and see if the iPod will push out it's Playlist title.

19. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Mar 5 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]400629[/snapback]</div>
    Post #330.

I see now that others are having this problem (as well as other freezing problems I have posted about), without reading every post since. At least I'm not alone.

Thanks. That would be great. I have requested that to them as well, a while back. Fixing that would only make sense. The Album title (button #3) as well would be great.

20. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinan @ Apr 7 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]419487[/snapback]</div>
    It happens. Things I've noticed about it are that it doesn't matter what's added on, just the fact you added something (another CD changer, a DICE, an XM tuner, etc) can cause that. I haven't seen a 06+ radio do it yet either.