1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JacquesR @ Oct 5 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]328506[/snapback]</div>
    I'm fairly sure it's AM/FM/CD only. I'm surprised the French version of toyota.ca isn't in sync with the English version.

I believe only the JBL Audio has MP3 capability as well as an AUX input jack.

2. JacquesR

JacquesR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 5 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]328557[/snapback]</div>
    thanks/merci to all who answered. a little more info:

The disks I tried work in my home theater, home cd/mp3 players and in my ex-honda changer. all songs are 128 bitrate, both reputable and elcheapo brands.
    When I put them in the reader, nothing happens, no error, just stays blank. (like Homer Simpson's look).
    If I push next track, the time counter goes very fast from 0 to some random number (in about 2~3 sec), and back to nothing.

on prius-online.com someone said that "there is no mp3 compatibility on Canadian base 06 prius". despite what the toyota brochure and the sales people at the dealer place said (and print).

I am still waiting from a word from toyota.ca
    :mellow:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 5 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]328599[/snapback]</div>
    Merci

Unfortunately I am starting to believe that this is the real answer. Indeed the french version said mp3, (but not anymore for the 07 :angry: ).
    I am just expecting now some word from toyota

3. BobZ

BobZ New Member

I have a 2006 with JBL (No NAV) and factory XM has anyone done a DICE on this yet? I'm assuming the DICE plugs into the same spot as the XM does. Is there a Y adapter...???? :unsure: :unsure:

4. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There was with the 2005 version of the DICE

5. Tlyke1983

Tlyke1983 Red Sonja

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anybody have a picture of what the DICE looks like once it's been installed?

Thanks

Tamara

6. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. echase

echase New Member

So, the DICE unit emulates a CD changer, even for those of us who did not have one installed in our car. It uses the different "CDs" to trigger different playback modes.

How do those of us without a factory changer go about changing these virtual CDs to trigger these playback modes?

8. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You use the MFD screen buttons or the steering wheel MODE < and > buttons. The DICE plugs into a port on the back of the radio, so it thinks it is a CD changer installed.

9. echase

echase New Member

I understand that MODE will change it to "CD2" where this unit works, and that the buttons on the steering wheel will change from song to song, but there is no button to change from "disc" to "disc".

I didn't see any such button on the MFD in the screen shots you linked to eaither. Am I missing something?

10. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A long press on < or > changes between D1, D2, D3 etc.

You can also change the Disks from the MFD by turning off the TITLE. Then the CD selection shows up.

11. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok Prius experts- a LITTLE help!!! PLEEEAASE! I am not very tech saavy, but one reason I wanted the new Prius was the AUX jack for an iPOD - which I never knew how to hookup, and didn't have my hot liitle hands on an iPod, but now my iPod Nano is on it's way, and I don't know how to hook it up... is this DICE thing only for those that DO NOT have the AUX jack in their Prius?? Or do I need it too? What IS needed to plug this little thang in? THANKS

12. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you plan on plugging the nano in while playing, you will probably need a ground loop isolator to remove the hum.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7uR0IYAYsaB/c...d+loop+isolator

Then you just need a 3.5mm male to male stereo cable to plug in the headset plug to the ground loop isolator, which plugs into the aux jack.

You will only be able to control the nano by using its controls. To get integration thru the MFD and steering wheel you would need a DICE or VAIS unit.

13. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Oct 8 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]329916[/snapback]</div>
    No, they serve very different purposes. The built in AUX jack just functions like a sort of reverse headphone jack. You can connect the headphone jack from the iPod in to the AUX jack and the sound will come out of your stereo. That's it. You still control the iPod from the iPod, and see what's playing on the iPod. All you need is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable available at just about any electronics store (or Radio Shack) for a few bucks. There are a variety of more expensive car accessories available with varying levels of functionality, but at a minimum that's all you need.

The DICE unit allows a much tighter integration with the car stereo, allowing you to see what's playing on the stereo's main screen, as well as allowing you to use the radio controls (including those on the steering wheel) to control the iPod.

Hope this helps clarify for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 8 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]329925[/snapback]</div>
    It's been my experience that I only get any noticeable hum when using a cheap DC charger while the iPod is plugged in. A more expensive one (like the Belkin one I just got) doesn't have this problem. Or, you can operate the iPod on it's own without a charger.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Oct 8 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]329916[/snapback]</div>
    If you have the AUX input, then you can connect the iPod to that, either by the headset output (using a cord with 1/8" plugs, available at your local Radio Shack) or a special connector to the docking port (which will either charge the iPod or not depending on the one you get) that has an 1/8" connector at one end for your AUX input.

But either method will only send the audio signal. The only external control you'd have over the iPod is volume. The DICE will allow you to control movement between playlists and songs within a playlist via the MFD and the controls on the steering wheel. In addition, it will display the Title, Artist and Album on the MFD. If you don't want that sort of control then you don't need the DICE.

15. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 8 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]329835[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for posting that. I knew it worked with the CDs, but didn't even think that it would work with the DICE.

16. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, thank you for the feedback... And this Dice, I can just plug into the AUX port? Or do I have to mess with the Prius insides?

17. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Oct 9 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]330046[/snapback]</div>
    If you're talking about where to connect the DICE, it connects to the back of the radio. You can access that by removing the lower glove box and the A/C vent cover to the right of the MFD.

18. Silverlode

Silverlode New Member

Any ideas if the DICE unit works in a 2007 Prius? I'm assuming it's the same as the 2006, and am about to order one.

19. 2gaydads

2gaydads New Member

This integration looks fantastic. One question: is the iPod out of sight somewhere (glove box?) or is it dangling on the end of a wire in plain view? Maybe I'm being fussy, but I do like my iPod out of sight when plugged into the jack (mine's a 2006). With the integration kit, does a wire come out of the glove box and that's why they also sell a cradle? Thanks for all the info on this!

20. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2gaydads @ Oct 9 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]330238[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on where you leave it dangling :) I've read where others have routed the cable to different place for different reasons. For me I'd just route the cable to the top glove box and be done with it, but that is just me :)

Ken