1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. y2kroxy

y2kroxy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(y2kroxy @ Oct 19 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]335212[/snapback]</div>
    -----------------------------
    Got the DICE to work. Had to initialize radio by removing and reinstalling fuse. Then the DICE info displayed song, artist, album.

Rudy O.

2. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, someone give me a clue...there are no instructions for removing the dash to install the DICE...how on a 2006??
    Thanks!

3. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Oct 28 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]339886[/snapback]</div>
    Also, does anyone out there have the cellular ready setup?...it says in the instructions to see the supplement...what supplement?

Any help most appreciated!

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Oct 28 2006, 03:16 AM) [snapback]339886[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the instructions on the installation of the VAIS AIC-100i. This is what I used to install the DICE on my 2005, but it should be similar on the 2006.

5. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 28 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]339951[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2006, Package 8, with factory XM installed.

I need some help here. I followed the VAIS instructions and removed the lower glove box and air vent distributer panel. The white wire junction box is out of the way.

I reached behind the radio and the Tune knob and the socket there already has a plug in it. (Perhaps the XM?) I removed a 20 pin female connector from the radio. Its size doesn't match anything DICE sent me. I replaced it. Next to that on the radio's center rear is another cable. There is a third cable plugged in on the left side of the radio. I didn't remove either of these.

The DICE box contains 3 cables but only identifies 2 of them, only cable 1) clearly:

1) This one is for the iPod connection to the DICE box.

2) This one has a 12 pin female connection, also to plug into the DICE box. At its other end is a pigtailed set of connectors: One is a 12 pin female plug. The other is a 12 pin male plug with only two pins connected. They are of the same size.

3) This one has a 12 pin male plug on one end, same size as cable 2). At the other end is pigtailed set of connectors: One is 1 ten pin male connector, smaller than the connectors on cable 2). The other is a ten pin female connector of the same size.

What's the code for hooking these cables to the radio and getting both my XM and DICE-iPod to work?

Thanks for any help you send my way.

6. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(y2kroxy @ Oct 27 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]339575[/snapback]</div>
    I'm having the same issue. What fuse and where is it located ?

Thanks,

Ken

7. tustin

tustin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 28 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]340051[/snapback]</div>
    I'm don't have an XM radio, but I did install the DICE unit today and it works. I have a 2006 with CD changer and NAV (pkg 8).

The small 12 pin female connects to the radio in the middle socket. I don't have an XM radio so it
    may get disconnected from the radio and reconnected to the small 12 pin male connector provided assuming that the XM radio currently connects to the middle socket on the radio.

Ignore the large connector with only 2 wires on it. Connect the other 2 large connectors together from cables 2 and 3 (using your scheme above).

So in my installation, the large connector with only 2 wires is unconnected, as is the small 12 pin male connector.

I did not have to remove a fuse, but I did disconnect the battery (both + and - side) in the right rear corner of the car. The positive side is easy (no tools required). The negative side takes a socket or wrench). It may not be necessary to disconnect the negative side, but that's what the instructions say to do.

Also, the DIP switch #2 for the car config switch should be on (down) as has been mentioned in earlier posts. It may be necessary to set the DIP switches correctly before applying power.

I also found that it works with my iPod nano that has V1.3 firmware in it, so it is not scrictly necessary to use
    V1.1.1 firmware in the Nano. They probably mean that you need at least the specified version of iPod firmware and that they have not tested it with more recent versions.

Disclaimer: Since I don't have an XM radio, I can't guarantee this will work for you. Following my advice could damage your radio, car, etc., etc.

I hope this helps.

8. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tustin @ Oct 28 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]340081[/snapback]</div>
    I'll give it all a try but probably not until tomorrow now. Was your right socket empty? If so I guess that means the first two sockets were empty until you plugged the DICE into the center one. Anybody try this who has an XM installed? I think the spare pigtail socket may be for the XM to join the daisy chain.

Thanks a lot. (You can e-mail me your phone number in case I need to sue.) ;)

9. tustin

tustin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 28 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]340085[/snapback]</div>
    Only the middle socket on the radio was empty. That phone number is 555-.....

Good luck!

10. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tustin @ Oct 28 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]340091[/snapback]</div>
    Good to know. The thing stuck in my middle socket must be the XM which, I think, plugs into the empty pigtail.

I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

Thanks a million.

11. masto

masto New Member

I got mine and installed it today (in a 2006). I didn't see the posts on this forum with the "other" instructions, so I Googled around and ended up using https://www.metrotpn.com/documents/PDF%20Fi...sXMradio3.2.pdf

which involves a lot more disassembly, but perhaps clearer access to the back of the radio once you get the entire dashboard removed.

It was fixing to rain, so I tried to take some shortcuts and just pulled a few fuses instead of disconnecting the battery, and at first I had the same problem with no track titles appearing, but by the time I read a few more posts and went back out to reset it, it had already fixed itself, so it seems like there's some kind of reinitialization that happens on its own.

Anyway, it's cool to finally have this thing, and for the few minutes I've played with it, it seems to be working great.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(masto @ Oct 28 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]340149[/snapback]</div>
    Too bad you didn't see my post giving a link to http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&...ost&id=5354 as you only have to remove the lower glove box and the A/C vent cover to the right of the MFD.

It must be a 2006 thing (mine is a 2005)....I merely made sure that the radio was turned off and everything worked the first time.

13. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 28 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]339951[/snapback]</div>
    10Q!

14. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 28 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]340156[/snapback]</div>
    Well, some comments on the install and a question or two...

Yes, removing the glovebox and unscrewing the wirebox is the easiest way to go...I found that I had to press REALLY hard to get the connector to click into place...

Still very confused about the switch settings...I do not want the ipod to have control and I want the songs displayed on the Prius screen...both switches up (off)?

Where are the fuses?...the manual does not give a good explaination of the location...I cannot get the song titles displayed on the Prius screen...

ADDITION...

While driving into work, I found that the iPod does not turn off or pause, when something like the radio is selected...is this normal behaviour?

Thanks!

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Oct 30 2006, 03:51 AM) [snapback]340548[/snapback]</div>
    Try setting the switches to: up down up up, going from left to right - this worked perfectly for me - initialization seems quick, the iPod controls work, even though i don't use them much.

The fuses are in a box under the hood. Start by popping the hood, then look along the driver side - there should be a plastic cover over the box that you can remove. Then the jumper terminals are on the left and the fuses on the right.

As for the iPod not turning off... i can't say - i haven't switched it off the iPod since i got it installed :lol: I do know that the iPod turns off when the car turns off, so every time i go out there it's in the same spot in the song as the previous time i left it.

16. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 30 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]340579[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info...will go out at lunch and see if I can get the sucker going...

Best!

17. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 30 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]340579[/snapback]</div>
    I took a look at the fuse box, but I couldn't tell which fuse was for the radio. I looked on the back of the plastic cover but I must be dense as I couldn't tell which fuse I needed to pull.

Ken

18. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Oct 30 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]340602[/snapback]</div>
    In the main engine compartment fuse block, it's the fourth one up from the bottom, I think it's marked "dome".

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm about to put in another order for DICE units to be able to fill the orders that have come in during the past few days, and we've been offered a special price on the cradles now.

For probably around $49 shipped you can now output Video from your iPod and mount your iPod using a ProClip vehicle mount.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_connections.htm

Post here in this thread ASAP if you're interested.

20. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik Tkal @ Oct 30 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]340784[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks !! Didn't think to try the "dome" fuse for the radio.

Ken