1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Silverline Install- illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ualdriver, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ihspy

ihspy FBL

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! The instructions were great, however, I'm wondering is it going to void your warranty (7 years 100K miles) if you install an after market DICE into your car? I called Toyota and they say it might, and they said they can not do it at Toyota like that. Thanks!!

2. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would it? What, other than the radio, is affected by the plugging a compatible device into a port provided by Toyota for that purpose?

Car manufacturers always try to use the "it voids the warranty" line to get out of paying for defects. In the U.S., they now have to PROVE that something not installed by them or their dealers DIRECTLY caused the malfunction.

So, installing this unit cannot be used to get out of a warranty repair for anything not directly related to it.

3. oliver_meyn

oliver_meyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just another big thank you to the original guide author, and to the guy who made the video of the installation - both were extremely helpful, and my install went great (2009 base model Canadian Prius).

My tips for future attempts - get the long handled screwdriver the pdf guide recommends, and follow the video method for removing the vent cover - worked easily for me and minimizes risk of scratching with a prying tool.

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just did my own DICE install using this documentation. Great work! I'm just starting to play with it but so far it seems pretty good.

5. mrinstall

mrinstall New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks ual for this guide. It came in very handy.

1 person likes this.
  6. johntylko

johntylko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for this guide! I found a similar one on this forum earlier in the week and I used it to install a Grom Audio AUX-in on 2004 Prius non-nav last night.

One odd thing: I can't figure out why, but that screw for the white box/large bundle of wires underneath the air duct would never come out. I could loosen it but I was never able to take it out entirely..anyone else run into this?

I ended up just using a mirror and squeezing around it

7. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to this guide I did not have to take the stereo out yet again (I had to repeatedly disassemble the dash for my factory nav retrofit, but that's another story). Cars here are right-hand-drive so I had to do a "mirror image" of the install, and the connector is in the same spot on the radio (closer to the right) so I had to reach in deeper.

I have hidden the DICE unit behind the passenger vent (closest to the door) and letting the ipod connector come out on the lower glove box. I'm planning to re-route this later on to come out inside the center console and maybe have an "original looking" aux connector.

8. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As no-one answered my other thread, I'll try posting my question here: I have a 2005 prius with NAV, JBL and 6 CD changer (at the top of the stereo, not a separate box beneath it) / cassette deck. If I use the DICE iPod adapter, do I loose my 6 CD changer?

9. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to various install docs and feedback, you should not lose your 6 CD changer. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, and I have the same CD/NAV/JBL setup as you do.

10. blacksquid

blacksquid New Member

Read through the entire thread but didn't see any info on G3 iPod, the FW version. Does anyone know if this configuration will work:

2005 Prius with base stereo/CD (no changer, satellite radio, or navigation unit)
    G3 20GB iPod

11. J4mes

J4mes New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I'm in the same boat as blacksquid over here. I have a 06 package 3 prius, so I don't have a 6cd changer or any of that jazz. I've been struggling to find a good setup to use my iPhone efficiently. Will the DICE unit work if you dont have the 6 CD dealio? Also, my prius doesn't have integrated bluetooth, so if I had an incoming call would the call go through the speakers? Thanks! First post! :)

12. Borgar1

Borgar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, ualdriver! :rockon:

I used your illustrated guide to install a Grom AUX interface adapter into my new (used) '05 base model Prius. I got the car in January, and have been loving it, except for the lack of cassette player (I had a cassette adapter for my MP3 player in my old car). Tried the simple plug-in FM adapters: one blew up after a few weeks, the other was so staticky as to be unlistenable.

This install took me about 2-2.5 hrs total (including running back and forth to look up different threads on PriusChat -- I didn't find this one until I already had the glove box and panel off!). I am the anti-handyman -- I only know enough about tools to be dangerous. This guide really walked me through it, and I'm proud of my new auxiliary cord, so I'm finally back in MP3 business!
    Cheers,
    Andrew

1 person likes this.
  13. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to Dice, it doesn't matter if you have the CD changer or not. If you do, the Dice shows up as CDC2 (the changer is CDC1). If you don't, the Dice shows up as CDC1.

I would imagine the phone calls would be handled on the DICE as they are on the Iphone (if your iphone mutes music when you get a call then it should on the dice also). There may be some issues with the later versions of Iphone. Call dice electronics and confirm (don't waste your time with their website or e-mail tech support). And make sure to get the Dice 5v which charges the newer Ipods and iphones.

14. greg256

greg256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I'd share my experiences installing a DICE Silverline Pro in my 2007 Prius which, having been bought in New Zealand, is right-hand drive. We bought the car a month or two ago and love everything about it, except the base model stereo (Toyota model 53815 - see first photo) which is CD/radio only. We ran into a dead end looking for a Toyota solution (grrrrr!!!), so after reading these forums we settled on the DICE. Nobody sells them in New Zealand, so we ordered it online from Enfig.

Ualdriver's instructions were great, except that we had a lot of trouble trying to move the distribution block with all the wires into the space left by the glove compartment (second photo). In the end, we sort of half moved it, and I was able to fit my arm through the glove compartment space and behind the distribution block to get my hand behind the radio. Again, because this is a right-hand drive car, I had to use my left hand to reach all the way to the far end of the radio unit to place the cable into the socket (see the blue arrow in the third photo). After almost an hour of trying to manoeuvre the cable into place I gave up and left it to my partner to have a go - her hands are smaller and more skilful than mine and she got it in after about 5 minutes! It's working perfectly so far, and was well worth the NZ$273 (US$195) it cost us. Cheers :)

Attached Files:

15. alan_l

alan_l New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great information all round.

I have a 2009 Prius II T3 in the UK, right hand drive, with the base model CD Radio - no CD/Aux and cannot play MP3, it does however support CD-Text.
    Can someone please confirm with the DICE Silverline IPod Connector that the Ipod's folders: Albums list/Artist List/etc.. will be displayed in and navigated/controlled by the Multi-Info Display.
    I have received conflicting information from various DICE agents in the UK, some say yes while other says no.
    Thanks for advice.
    Alan.

16. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    With mine, you can control the DICE unit and the iPod through the touchscreen. It will show the same folders as the iPod. However, the interface is a little intermittent at tims and it takes a little to get used to. I often have to press the audio button, for example, to get the display to show correctly because for some reason the screen goes blank with just the numbers showing. It's been a while since I installed the unit so maybe it is better now.

1 person likes this.
  17. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So is everything viewed on the MFD as it is on the ipod? Will I have full access to my artists or albums while driving? Or do I have to break everything out into play lists?

18. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you're asking me, the screen does not look like the iPod screen. Using the settings I put in the manual above, when I hit the audio button on the MFD after cycling through the modes on the steering wheel to bring the DICE iPod mode up, there is a row of numbered circles (one through six I think). If you hit the 2 circle, you can cycle through your playlists with the ^ buttons on the steering wheel. When I find the playlist I want, I then hit the 1 circle on the MFD, then use the ^ button on the wheel to cycle through the songs on that playlist.

The unit is quirky in that sometimes you'll hit the audio button with the iPod selected as the device via the mode button on the steering wheel and sometimes it won't recognize the iPod is there and you have to cycle through all the modes again. Sometimes it won't "wake up" the iPod and you physically have to touch a selection on the iPod to wake it up yourself and then cycle through the modes on the steering wheel to get the DICE unit to recognize that it is there now. Sometimes when you hit the audio button to get the numbered circles there is no text associated when you hit the 1 circle or 2 circle on the MFD and then you have to cycle the audio button so that that you can see your playlists and their contents. It's quirky, but it does work if you play with it.

19. alan_l

alan_l New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May be a silly question ... is it safe to install without disconnecting the battery?

Thanks in advance.

20. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I didn't disconnect the battery and had no problems.