1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Silverline Install- illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ualdriver, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did the install on our 2004 Prius today (no navigation or CD changer).

I haven't read all 6 pages, but for what it's worth, I didn't need to use anything to pry the vent cover assembly off the dash. I just used my finger tips and pulled straight backwards. I don't have long fingernails either (and avoided any risk of scratching anything). The other thing that I tried was pushing from behind the panel down towards it's bottom. There's an open hole in the substructure of the dash, and you can reach in behind the trim and feel for the hole and push the bottom of the trim off as well. Either way, the trim is just held in with the common toyota snaps and doesn't take much effort to yank off. It seemed to help me best to pull it straight rearwards (meaning don't pull up or down while trying to pull it out). Overall, honestly it was not a big deal at all. It probably took me 10 minutes to install (I work on cars a lot). I stuffed the Dice black box UNDER the lower glove box. More specifically, there is a black "toe kick" trim piece (also held in by similar snaps) right above a passenger's toe tips. This panel is removed by pulling down and rearwards (meaning towards the rear of the car). On the very far passenger side underneath the large white HVAC housing is a small space just big enough to stuff the DICE. I pulled all the DICE cabling along other existing wiring that ran along top the HVAC housing, then straight down to the "hole." I preferred this location as opposed to behind the radio becuase I don't have to remove the glove box, vent trim, or move the wiring junction box in order to get back to the DICE (such as if I want to change dip switches). All I have to do is pull the corner of the toe kick panel down and there it is. Note that this toe kick panel is NOT the "side" kick panel to the right of a passenger's feet. It will make more sense if you look underneath your glovebox and see another (flimsy) piece of black plastic trim.

Oh, also, my DICE (with Silverline) only came with ONE cable. I do not have the two-piece cable as the original poster showed. I thought I was missing a piece, but as it turns out, I was not. One end of my cable has a black plug that goes into the DICE, and the other end has the "small" version of the female plug that goes into the back of the radio. There is another plug next to the "small" plug that I'm not sure what it's for, though I thought the owner's manual for the DICE suggested steering wheel controls for some models. I didn't have to connect this other plug to anything (and my steering wheel controls work fine). Basically, my cable looks like the original poster's 2 cables fully assembled as one big cable minus the plug with what appear to be purple wires dangling from the middle of the entire harness assembly (I don't think the plug is labeled in the OP's photo either).

2. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't worry about the second plug (it's for a SAT connection), just make sure it doesn't rattle behind the dash.

3. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's safe. I've only been using the DICE for about an hour. I only tried MD mode and SAT mod briefly. I had been trying to get it into MP3 mode per OP's recommendations, but I think my Prius is too old and does not have MP3 built in.

4. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Just in case you have to unplug the interface before you change the dip switches
    if not the interface don't understands and stays in the same mode

In your vehicle it need to be use on mp3 mode or cd changer mode ( no text )
    the interface supports text from the sat or mp3 mode only
    text is display in 2003 an up vehicles equipped with a cd text, mp3 text or sat factory radio

5. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Make sure you turn on the "hold" button on the ipod before you plug it in - the functionality in DICE "smart" mode improves when you do this.

6. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Really? I wonder if that is why my DICE unit is so temperamental? I have an iPod with a color screen that is about 2 years old. How do I turn on the hold button, and what is the DICE "smart" mode?

7. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    the small button on the ipod to lock the click wheell that will make the interface to work on smart mode

Smart Mode expands the flexibility of how you brows music by utilizing the hold button on your iPod. With a simple flip of the switch you can enable different browsing and text display features.

8. alan_l

alan_l New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ualdrive et al - thanks for excellent instructions, my Dice is now installed on my RHD UK Prius. Took 3-4 minutes to take glove box + vent + wiring loom, spent 30 minutes trying to connect Dice wire to back of radio, give up, ask daughter to fit - 3 minutes later - done. My advice is ask your daughter,or borrow neighnour's, for help - they have thinner arms!

9. alan_l

alan_l New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After trying out a few dipswitch settings on the DICE, so far I've found that the best setting on my basic CD/Radio (no Satnav nor MP3) is with all switches set to OFF and ipod classic 'locked'; even so, I find that the navigation is a little on the erratic side. Albums (Disc4) does not always allow for cycling thru albums especially after pressing Disc3 (Artist). Also, it seems that my ipod does switch off after turning off radio and/or ignition off.
    Anyone with advice on setting up DICE for better ipod control, particulary switching off of the ipod?
    Also, can the box below the radio be easily take out without removing the dash?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Apart from the 2 minor niggles, I am pretty happy with DICE unit.

10. Borgar1

Borgar1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been loving the Grom AUX adapter I installed using this guide. One minor annoyance I've found is that every so often, when I turn on the car, the adapter is not recognized by the stereo system. normally, the adapter is activated when I press the cd button for the cd changer. When this happens, it just says "no CD". I have to turn off the car power and restart, then the stereo recognizes the adapter again. is there anyway to reset the adapter without turning the cars power on and off again?

11. priushue

priushue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Greg256,

Thanks for the info. Like you, I have a right hand drive with the 53815 head unit. Knowing you installed it and it works fine makes me feel better.

Quick question, mate. Where did you put the DICE unit? Was the cord long enough to shove it into the glovebox? I actually got a GROM but I reckon they'd be the same in terms of cable length etc.

Hue

12. greg256

greg256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Hue,

Because we like to use the glovebox for keeping stuff in, we put the DICE unit in the space immediately behind it. The cable to the iPod then leads into the glovebox itself, which is a handy spot for it.

Good luck!

Greg.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    has anyone led the ipod cord out the left side of the screen through the air vent?

14. priushue

priushue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Greg! That's sort of what I want to do but didn't think the cable would be long enough. I'll give it a try. You taped/velcro'ed it behind the glovebox?

Thanks again, Greg.

15. priushue

priushue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As an add-on to what Greg256 posted on page 6 and ualdriver's really helful instructions, I thought I'd do a quick update on my GROM USB install to help out any right hand drive owners / RHD Prius out there. Mine is a 2008 with a 53815 head unit. Otherwise, if you don't own a RHD Prius I reckon ualdriver's guide is fantastic as is.

ualdriver and Greg's experiences proved invaluable in my install, thanks gents. Here's my 2 cents added:

1. It took me ages to figure out why the head unit was not recognising/giving power to my GROM USB. Turns out the cable going to the back of the head unit came loose. It actually comes loose real easily, so be very careful when reassembling the white wire block etc. Probably this is due to RHD Prius' glovebox being a good 6-8 inches further from the connector at the back of the head unit.

I had to disassemble/reassemble 3-4 times because no matter how gentle I was, it kept coming loose (one time, it came loose even after a careful assembly followed by a slightly less gentle positioning of the adapter). What worked is threading the car-specific wire carefully behind the center of the white block (then gently hand tightening the white block and testing the grom again so in case it did come loose, it's easier to undo).

2. I had a hard time finding a place to put the adapter. Greg said he put it behind the glovebox but there didn't seem to be room for it on mine. (Regional differences in right-hand drive models?) I ended up putting it ABOVE the glovebox (there's a little "ledge" there between the bottom glove and the top glove inside the dashboard). Feel around with your fingers, you'll feel the ledge has ridges spaced about an inch apart. The adapter is out of sight there but you need something thick-ish to stick it down, such as wads of blue tack (the ridges make using tape/velcro tricky because you can't get a flat surface to stick to).

3. BUT be careful because the iPod cable is prone to come loose! Which means you'll have to take the adapter out again and plug in the iPod cable which means more chances of the cable going to the head unit coming loose (see point 1). FRUSTRATING!!!

4. On mine, pressing DISC toggles between CD and GROM mode. Changing GROM USB to IPOD requires the normal procedure (AM >1 sec > DISC etc).

Hope this helps anyone needing extra insight on installing for RHD Prius.

16. brother i

brother i New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reviving the thread from the dead as my first post :)

First off - thanks for all the great info!

I took a slightly different course, starting with the same instructions here.

When I got to the point of loosening the "bundle of wires" behind the vent next to the glovebox - I was stuck. The screw is tightened too hard... so i figured I'd get to it from another place, if it's not much more trouble :)

Here are the instructions I followed - 2005 Prius aftermarket stereo install pdf. | PriusChat

They're much less detailed, but after taking one vent fascia off and knowing what the tabs look like and feel like to pull off it was actually not that complicated at all. Made it easy :)