1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dichotomy: Lots of Fracking Jobs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hill, Nov 27, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Looking for work? You're in luck. Two of the poorer states in the nation are reversing their 'oportunity' status, and now have lots of job. Lots of folks are flocking to the jobs too. One of our Montana neighbor's is moving from the west side of the state to join the flock.

[​IMG]

But as history shows, there's a price to be paid for instant opportunity. Enter, 'Man-Camps' ... if you should be so lucky. From the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us/north-dakota-oil-boom-creates-camps-of-men.html

I wonder what other 'bonanza' offsets there are - if you don't count the unregulated Fracking poisons (ok it's regulated, in that you can't regulate it ... shaking head). Is the bakken gas/oil going to last 10 years or 100 years? Is this just a temporary heroin addict's fix? Can we go back to McMansions, Toy haulin' RV's and 4,000 mile supply chains? I duno ... I can't imagine being so broke as to live in a car with -5 degree winter weather, 100's of miles from family, just to keep the carbon addiction alive.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as being broke, be glad you can't imagine it. Some folks just have to do whatever they have to do to survive.

Good news is, the Prius is perfect for it. Just leave the car powered on, set the HVAC to toasty, and catch some shuteye while the HSD does its magic.

Somehow I suspect these aren't Prius drivin' folk, however.

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The boom in the Bakken is huge. We travel the northern tier several times a year, and we never plan on getting a motel room between Havre and Minot, or between Billings and Bismark. There often times just aren't any, at any time of the year!

The boom times come at a very high price for the locals however. Pressure on infrastructure is considerable. When the bust comes,, they will be left holding the bill!

Icarus

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Given the tension between jobs/family/security and possible long term
    environmental damage, it seems to me the title of the thread could
    (should?) read:

Dichotomy: Lots of Fricking Fracking Jobs.