1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did 40D Recall and Now The Gas Gauge is Malfunctioning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lectricar, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

:cry:

Well finally had the 40D performed on my vehicle. Took only 1.5 hours and they ordered a replacement for the window control plastic panel (the finish rubbed off) and corrected the buzzing in the loose center speaker grill.

Filled the tank yesterday and, low and behold, the mileage calculator did not reset (on the LCD) and the gas gauge is still three short of full.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!....Well, it's not really serious and certainly not as bad as what happened to that Prius owned by that poor woman from Sunneyvale - no oil, yet, it is annoying.

Any thoughts :crazyeyes:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)Seriously doubt it has anything to do with the SSC 40D
    2)Any chance you hit the Power button too many times or touched it again or turned the car off before the guage had completely reached the full mark? Any of those things could have caused this unusual behavior.
    3)Is is possible you didn't completely fill the tank--that it prematurely shut off? A simple calculation of your mileage based on amount of fuel compared to the MFD display mpg should tell you if that's the case.
    4)I wouldn't panic, next tank be very careful to start the car and pull away without touching anything or shutting down until you see the fuel bars reach all the way to the full mark.
    5)If it does happen again definately take it in, I suppose it's possible they did something to disconnect or interupt one of the wires or something responsible for those features to work properly.

3. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Thanks for your response. It seemed to have resolved itself. Some 30 miles after the fill up, the three blocks just appeared.

I calcuated a new low, 42.1 mpg at the time of the fill up so I am certain that the tank was filled.

I'll keep my eye on it.

Thanks again.