1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did i break my gas tank float????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by just_older99, Jun 29, 2011.

1. just_older99

just_older99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if this happened to anyone before and am i looking at to replace my gas tank.
    For the past 4 months in my 2007 prius filling up gas has been the same, i usually wait until the last pip stats to blink and i fill up. Its always the same, it takes roughly 34L of gas give ot take which means that roughly 11L remain in the tank. i usually go until i get 2 or 3 clicks in the pump and stop.Well i was travelling to a tennis tournament of mine and had to fill up, the last pip just started to blink so i pulled off the highway and filled up at a local station. It click at roughly 34L like always and i was going for a click or 2 more, but for some reason this time when i began fuelling again i didnt pull the trigger all the way, gas was going in and i was talking with someone else pumping gas. It felt like 2 mins of pumping when i looked up and saw the gas was at 39L. I pulled out the nozzel and gas started to pour out. It finally stopped flowing out and was full right to the top, i put the cap back on clean the car the best i could and went to play tennis. I have now travelled 303KMS and i have all my bars on my fuel gauge. I roughly loose a bar around 150-180KMS depending on who drives the prius. So my question is either im about to break my MPG record by a landslide or did i screw up the float and need a new tank?? Any advice or suggestions is appretiated.

2. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if the Canadian Prius cars have a bladder to reduce CO2 emissions, which would make your tank volume fluctuate depending mostly on temperature. People here claim that is a sensitive system and that repeated overfills will lead to tank bladder replacement. There's a sensor that might get damaged, but it would give you an error code.

If that system does not exist then I don't think there would be anything to damage.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can't break the float from overfilling. You can screw up the emission controls, but if you do that it will throw a code.

Relax, drive your car, and let it burn off the excess fuel.

Tom

4. just_older99

just_older99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well finally after 310 kms the i lost my first bar of gas. Thanks for your reply and i will do just that and drive like normal..

5. danboy

danboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius