1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I get scammed? Help with new purchase...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by War_Destroyer, Oct 11, 2021.

1. War_Destroyer

War_Destroyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi guys, I just bought my first Prius today. I've been driving a V8 Mercedes-Benz, but $5 a gallon for premium, is hard to justify, especially when my Merc loves to chug it lol

I really thought I did a good job checking the car out before buying, but I noticed this weird little detail in the cluster where someone used electrical tape to hide whatever is to the left side of the speedometer. Also, I'm not seeing anything on the left side of the cluster light up like the left turn signal...

I bought this 2002 aqua colored Prius for $4400. The claimed 61,000 miles, the headlights being clear, the paint being perfect with no fading or flaking, the perfect non torn leather interior, it all made me believe it. There are no leaks, tires are new, even has a fifth stock alloy wheel for the spare.

I used my simple Bluetooth OBD2 scanner, and nothing came up, and there was no indication of someone having recently erased anything as the emissions test was shown as complete. I also ran the VIN and the plates, and everything is current and clean.

The guy even gave the this invoice and paperwork from February of this year, where they replaced the hybrid battery, and is supposedly still under warranty. Though I'm not sure if the trouble codes diagnosed were remedied by just replacing the hybrid battery, or if there's something left undone.

I'm hoping someone here could guide me through this. I'm not sure if what was done to the cluster came before with some other previous owner, or if the guy who sold me the car and paid $1200 the replacement hybrid battery was involved... Thank you, and I appreciate your help!!

20211010_214746.jpg 20211010_214814.jpg 20211010_214850.jpg 20211010_220900.jpg

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure that there really is anything interesting under that piece that looks like tape ... it's been a while since I had my Gen 1.

But it is very easy in Gen 1 to take the cluster out and look. In later generations you generally have to remove the whole upper instrument panel to get to it, but in Gen 1 you'll notice there's a separate plastic cover just over the cluster itself, you just yoink upward and it pops right out.

Maybe there's a loose or disconnected connector serving the indicator lights on the left.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did gen 1 have tpms? some people put tape over the light rather than replacing the tpms when the battery dies.
    o/p, i'm not really sure what problems you're having. does the car run okay?

is that a toyota dealer invoice for the battery? nevermind, i see greentec auto. is it new cells, or just a refurbished battery with mostly old cells?

4. War_Destroyer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Okay, so good news guys, after reading through the forum, I created a Toyota owners account and added the 2002 Prius with the VIN. It has service records going all the way back to the beginning, with the odometer readings slowly building up to last year November with 51K miles, when they changed the auxiliary battery. That matches the physical service record I have from February where they then changed the hybrid battery at 52K miles, so it makes sense that it is now at 61K miles a year later. Nice.

The sketchy news is that the electrical tape in the cluster is hiding the "master warning light." I'm not at all familiar with Prius, but it sounds important lol I've only driven the car back from buying it yesterday, 25 miles on the freeway. It drove very well. Service record shows he initially declined the hybrid batter replacement when they replaced the auxiliary battery, so maybe he tired of seeing the warning light in those 3-4 months before giving up and bought the hybrid battery? It drove well again when I took it to the car wash and filled up the gas tank.
    1456829.1109.jpg

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you taken the electrical tape off? Is the MWL on?

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a Gen 1 and it is such good physical condition, you got lucky! As for the mechanics for a Gen 1, keep lurking and asking questions in here. I don't have a clue about a Gen 1, but there is a separate tread for Gen 1.

War_Destroyer likes this.
  7. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah probably got sick of seeing the light, which may have flashed too?

But after researching and finding a place cheaper than the dealer, had HV batt replaced and
    just never took off the tape.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    if it's a greentec pack like bisc mentioned I'd call them and find out what you've got, (probably a reconditioned pack) if and for how long they will cover it for you, unless that stuff is all on the invoice. Maybe even if all that stuff is on the invoice.

Is the MWL on the gen 1 the infamous prius triangle
    I only drove a gen 1 when it first arrived in town for a weekend in the fall. so I've never seen the dash light.
    It makes sense that the previous owner might not want to be reminded about needing a new pack every time the car was used. Which at 61k was probably not too often. ;)

Nice avatar in your profile.

#8 vvillovv, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  9. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    The tape covers the death counter that counts down and the car explodes when it hits zero.
    This was only on the early gen1's, they replaced it with a triangle of death that just shows right before its about to blow up.

Did you really have to ask and not just remove the tape to see whats under it? I have been tempted to put a smiley face
    on my check engine light, because I don't have a cat it is always on. But it flashes if something new occurs, so better to leave it on.
    You must DEFINITELY want to know if the death triangle has turned on. Ignoring it could leave your car with very expensive repairs
    and towing charges if ignored.

vvillovv likes this.
  10. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen1s had a leather option?

11. War_Destroyer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I haven't, I'm doing it tomorrow, among other things, like replacing the cabin air filter, engine air filter, the coin tray that previous owner used as an ashtray. When I put it in the on position you can see the glow of the MWL peeking from the side, but when you actually start the car it disappears. I drove it 60 miles yesterday without issue.
    I really hope so, I was mostly concerned with the cluster having been swapped out and the odometer reading not being the original. It having 61K miles was a huge reason for buying it.
    It does say remanufactured and does have a 12 month warranty, but it started February, so I only have four months left.
    I was panicking, I had just come home after buying the car outside an AutoZone at sun down lol I thought the dude scammed me and messed with the odometer. As I said earlier, the triangle only lights up briefly in the ON position, but goes away once you start the car.
    It's the third reason I bought the car, after having the paint in such great condition, and the miles being so low at 61K.

Here are some pictures of the interior, also does anyone know what those hook things behind the rear headrests are called? There's three, but the one in the middle is missing the plastic cover. I tried googling different names, but got nothing. Hoping someone has a name or part number!
    20211014_154010.jpg 20211014_154015.jpg 20211013_140017.jpg

vvillovv likes this.
  12. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would call that piece a LATCH system top tether anchor cover or something like that. That leather looks real comfy!

13. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  14. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    vvillovv likes this.
  15. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Cream Puff ?

16. War_Destroyer

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks guys, I found them, but they're pricey on eBay. Already spent $24 on a replacement coin tray lol
    Wow, thank you, I'll get on it ASAP.
    Someone already sent me a picture saying it looks like these candy almonds... lol blue-jordan-almonds-1-pound-bag-3__33638.1595520820.jpg

WHCSC, vvillovv and ammdb like this.
  17. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Never seen a gen1 prius with leather seats..