1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I just fry my aftermarket head unit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Wesblog, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Wesblog

Wesblog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I purchased a Kirinavi android head unit and installed it in my 2010 Prius using the factory speaker plugsw/ wiring harness (no separate amp).
    Everything worked for several months, but I was receiving terrible FM radio reception. I opened up my dash and found an antenna booster wire which I attached to the blue 12v Antenna Power wire on the kirinavi.

My solution worked great. I got much better radio reception. However, on my first drive I went over a few bumps and all sound went out. I opened the dash again and the blue Ant Power wire had come loose. Now, no matter what I try I cannot get any sound from the head unit. There is a slight pop from the speakers when I start the car and then nothing.

My only guess is that the loose 12v Antenna Power wire touched something in the Kirinavi that stopped the head unit's amp from working correctly. Do you have any recommendations for testing before I break down and purchase a different head unit? It seems the factory speaker out (I don't have an amp) no longer provide sound. And I tried hooking a pair of headphones up to the RCA pre-amp outputs, but I couldnt hear anything there either.

The fuse on the Kirinavi is fine. And the head unit turns on and functions correctly - just no sound.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you solder the leads together?

In the future, replace the antenna with a longer one. I replaced the stock with a 21”, shark finners turned a blind eye to it.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the deck is fried.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if the lack of constant power supply will reset anything.

If the power antenna supply touched a ground and shorted, and damaged the unit without blowing the fuse... well I'd be pretty darn suspicious of their electrical engineering, and fairly unlikely to get anything else from the same maker.

TheeWood and Montgomery like this.