1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I just mess up my cv joints?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by maximusdec, Feb 13, 2017.

1. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I changed my brake pads this morning and after putting my tires back on forgot to tighten the nuts on one side. Drove on highway for a couple miles and remembered I didn't tighten. Panicked got off the road and ya, 2 nuts were pretty loose. The rest were snug but not tight. Tigtened it and everything was fine when I drove it this morning. Now the axel is clicking on that side. Car has almost 200k miles. Do they fail at these kind of miles or did I just add more repair cost?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wont bother the cv joints but it's your brakes are probably clicking.

maximusdec likes this.
  3. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm...clicking only happens when turning tight turns left or right at slow speeds. No clicking when wheels are straight. If it was brake pads I would imagine it clicking all the time.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or bearings?

maximusdec likes this.
  5. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't bearings make a howl sound when bad?

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    do not know, that's all I got. :oops:

maximusdec likes this.
  7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Driving with wheel nuts lose won’t affect the CV-joint or wheel bearing. So either there’s something weird wrong with your brakes, you did damage something while doing the work, or the noise was there before the brake job and you just didn’t pay attention to it.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I missed how many miles the car has so yeah it may need cvs. At that mileage there way past end of life.
    Check the boots look for cracks look for signs of cv joint grease being slung onto chassis and then grab them and pull on them real hard and see how loose they are.
    Also look for trans fluid leaking or weeping out of inner cv joint seal where it enters the diff. That's sign of wore inner joint.
    At that mileage it will be a lot of whack a mole parts replacement.

maximusdec likes this.
  9. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Figured it out. It was just a still loose wheel. I guess when i tightened it on the side of the road, the wheel was already slightly out of whack so it wasn't sitting flush with the rotor. Raised it up this morning and torqued it to spec while in the air, inspected the brakes and cv joints, all were good. Drove it around and no more sound. Sorry to waste your time for a stupid mistake. And I am relieved I don't have to fork out good chunk of money for an axle. Thank you to all those that chimed in.

ILuvMyPriusToo and valde3 like this.
  10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was going suggest tightening the wheel nuts.

It's actually good that you asked the question and posted the end result.

You are not the first (or last) person to do this. We are all human, and it's good to remind people that sometimes the solution is quite easy.

David Woodlee likes this.
  11. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome!

For those interested, I used Autozone Duralast Gold brake pads to change out the old OEMs. They are half the price of OEM pads and they are fantastic so far. No squeaks even with the old worn out rotors which have indentations carved out from the old pads. And these have life time warranty so when worn out, I can take it back to Autozone and get a new one for free.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I once sent my son on his way with lug nuts just snugged, as best we could with the car in the air. It was better than finger-tight, but nowhere near torque spec. Phoned him later in the day when it dawned on me. He just got out the emergency wrench and did the best he could, no harm. Whew!

thatoneraccoon likes this.
  13. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The first set lasted 200k miles... so it's highly unlikely you'll ever have the opportunity to take advantage of that warrantee. But still seems like a wise purchase. (y)

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, the old "loose lug nut ploy!" I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it. When I lived on the island of Roatán, I came home one day to find our radio station manager's Nissan Patrol sitting on the side of the road by our driveway with both left brake rotors on the ground. One wheel was next to the vehicle. The other one was being hauled out of the ocean by a friendly neighbor. Ever try jacking up an SUV that has no wheels on one side? :eek: He had just gotten new tires. So when I use the expression, "the wheels came off," I know what I'm talking about. From then on, I always double check my own work when I have a wheel off and if someone else does it, I triple check it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Original owner had them replaced at 80K at the dealer. So they last about 80-100K. Mine were way over due as I decided to take apart and check because there was metal to metal grinding when braking. The left side was completely worn out. I was worried about squeaking on these autozone pads or clanking around. But they turned out great.

I should probably replace the rotors too as they were also changed at 80k miles.

#15 maximusdec, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  16. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh man, you mentioned Nissan Patrol. I was just looking at ebay to purchase one a couple of days ago. Love those trucks. Hard to find for a good price in the U.S. though. Most I saw had right hand drive. Not sure how problematic that would be driving in the U.S.

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that could be interesting. My wife's cousin lives in England and has a left hand drive SUV (Explorer, I think), and hubby has a right hand drive. They say their windshield wipers get almost as much use as their turn signals. ;)

The Patrol was a diesel and was a pretty good truck, but it had a nasty habit of warping the head and blowing the gasket. Said manager had a tiny leak in the turbocharger and wasn't very good at monitoring his coolant level. My little 4-door '98 Frontier diesel wasn't as powerful (no turbo), but was rock solid dependable. After 221,000 kilometers it still didn't burn or leak any oil. Friend who worked on them said that was the best engine Nissan ever made. Only thing I ever did was replace the alternator and have it in the body shop about once a year for rust abatement. (One of the joys of island life.) And change the oil now and then.

But we digress ... again. :)

maximusdec likes this.