1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I kill my main battery ??? !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusguam, May 23, 2009.

1. priusguam

priusguam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For anyone following up on this post. 4 months later the car is running great. SOC rarely leaves the full-blue level and I only saw red once when I was hyper-miling a bit. I now know that when I was seeing frequent red on the old battery, that was a bad sign. Now, the battery has much more capacity and doens't discharge or charge excessively. In fact, I can go down long steep downhills and it wont go past 1 green usually, and it only rarely forces the car to start up (past 80% soc- two greens). I hyper-miled my first tank and got 75mpg and 745 miles range. I think this stresses the battery, though, and now I only glide mildly without discharging the battery. Pretty much I just try to get the engine off when I can, and I average about 50 MPG with A/C and 54 MPG without A/C. This is with big Thule racks on top which work great (they do add wind noise which takes getting used to). Of course I never go highway speeds here, so the wind resistance is only marginal. I just got some weather tech deflectors and am stoked that I can leave the windows cracked as it is very hot here in Guam.