1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I paint this exterior molding right?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Soquel B Verver, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Soquel B Verver

Soquel B Verver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The rear quarter panel moldings are peeling its factory clear coat on my 2016 Prius. I've repainted one so far- not quite done.
    It was black, and I'm painting it black.

I washed it, sanded it well with 400 grit. Then, I rubbed it down with alcohol and made sure it evaporated. After that, I used Dupli-color Plastic Adhesion Promoter (for enamel paint on plastic automotive parts interior and exterior). Following can instructions, I applied 3 light coats, 3 minutes apart. Then, within 10 minutes of last adhesion promoter coat, as can said, I applied 3 light coats of Rustoleum Acrylic Enamel -Automotive Grade- Gloss Black (can specifically states it bonds to plastic).
    The entire thing is not a uniform shine, so in 48 hours (can says within 1 hour OR after 48 hours), I was going to add second application of the gloss black. An hour after that, I was going to apply 2-3 coats of Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel and then consider it done.

My questions are, am I missing anything in there? I saw a video where guy says to add sealer/primer after adhesion-promoter coat but prior to black coat?

Do I need to add anything, or need to sand, between the two black applications? (I planned on a light sand before the second black application, as a couple fuzzies got in there).

Also, is Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel a good clear coat? Is there a better one or one geared toward auto plastic?

Thank you in advance.

2. Mrpromano01

Mrpromano01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello Soquel B Verver.
    I would like to see how your work turned out. Can you post some photos showing how the plastic part looks like?
    Where did you watch this video showing how to paint these plastic parts?
    Thanks

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    a couple of hints from the ole school. Primer is almost always a good bet.
    Try to keep your paint types as close to one another as possible. Enamel and Acrylic Enamel are different .
    Not sure what your plastic bonder chemistry is, but that may be why some videos you've seen recommend using primer on top of the bond coat(s).
    Spraying is a funny thing in a lot of ways. Spray nozzle too close or too far from the object or the spray fan from the nozzle is to wide or too narrow or there is too much moisture in the surrounding air or painting one type of paint chemistry over a different type of paint chemistry and things just happen unexpectedly. That is why every experienced spray painter knows or learns the true value of sanding, respraying, rinse and repeat as necessary.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you're lacking shine from a gloss finish, you might have been too dry- move closer, work slower.

the sanding was wet sanding, right? makes a huge difference in smoothness...