1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I screw up horribly? - installed my own 240v outlet

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Refurbmike, Apr 2, 2021.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Deleted by author

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is a pretty nasty code violation :eek: But, it's your choice to do it that way, than ask for others opinions about how Horribly bad an idea it was to do it that way.
    Why not just remodel to code in the first place?
    I've seen some nasty code violations in my days, after a "Professional Remodel Job", that somehow get by the inspector(s) that are supposed to catch at least some of them.
    I've been pecking away at the glaring violations that got by the last inspector, that I'm sure will be flagged by the next inspection. Good on me, right? :rolleyes:

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! Good on ya! When we sold a house about 14 years ago the buyer's inspector caught something pretty huge that my inspector missed when I bought and that, thankfully never bit me. The outside outlet that I always used for the hedge clippers had the hot and neutral wires reversed. AND the ground wire was not connected. Sure glad the clippers had a plastic case. :eek:

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you required to have the house inspected, say every so many years? The only time I had an inspection done on house was when the house is sold or purchased.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius Prime and almost all RAV4 Primes will only use 16 Amps sustained, (you would have paid thousands extra to get 32 Amps on a RAV4 Prime, I suspect you would have noticed) so all you need is 20 Amps of 240 Volts, like a 6-20R.

The (overkill) 14-50R is the most common RV hook up, so if you have a 14-50p cord, you are set for road trips. The 14-50R supplies both 120 and 240 volts, which we don't need, at 50 Amps. (40 Amps sustained) If you are the nervous sort, you can install a 20 Amp breaker in your home, but use 50 Amp wiring and outlet.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
    You can ask to see every 14-50R available in North America to charge on. You can't easily find other 240 volt outlets that I know of, so with other outlets, they are only practical at home.

So all you need is 6-20R, but a 14-50R is an asset on the road. If you already have any 240v outlet, use it.

[​IMG]
    6-20R
    [​IMG]
    14-50R

#25 JimboPalmer, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    pghyndman and jerrymildred like this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You made me go check the outdoor box that was added as part of the minisplit heat pump installation. That wasn't added until after I'd done my own general household inspection with the handy little plug-in tester.

Two green lights, no red light. All good, at least to the limitations of that device.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    In my city, I think any time a permit gets pulled it opens up the door for the city inspector to check other things as well. When we had our water heater replaced a few years ago (it’s in the garage) the repair guy said I’d want to make sure I had a carbon monoxide detector on both floors just in case the inspector decided to take a look inside the house.
    For home purchase inspections, my city doesn’t provide this service. It’s the buyer’s responsibility to decide if the inspection is necessary and to find a qualified individual to perform the inspection.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Man, I love that little southwire 3-light gizmo. I was working one of the Notre Dame games last year and used one to determine that our entire trailer was up on a hot/ground swap.

There are a lot of items you can purchase which require you to adopt some strict operating policies for health and safety reasons. Sometimes, strict adhesion to those policies costs you flexibility, such as portability or secondary usage.

fuzzy1 and jerrymildred like this.