1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I wait too long at the dealer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vic Doucette, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Vic Doucette

Vic Doucette Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last week I decided to take my Prius in for a 15,000 mile service. I made an appointment for 10 am Saturday and told them I wanted them to:
    1. Rotate the tires, 40 front/38 rear.
    2. Change oil/filter.
    3. Change all 3 wiper blades.
    I got to the dealership at about 9:45 and turned the car over to the service advisor. I didn't get back in the driver's seat until 11:45.
    I thought that was an excessive amount of time for this kind of work, especially since I had made an appointment several days before.

Thoughts?

2. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thoughts?

1 It was Saturday,they may have had many others wanting Saturday service as well. My guess is being that is was Saturday they might not been up to full staff. This happens in many shops.

2 Did they promise you a given amount of time to perform the work in the first place?

3 Do you want the job done right or a quicky sloppy job as you drove through?

4 I worked in a transmission shop for 16 years, and not everything on everyday goes just as planned.

5 If they did a good job, with no issues. Be happy with that.

I am not trying to be hard on you. But there is one big fact that many have forgotten these days. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES IN LIFE. Well maybe two.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not suprised at 2 hours and wouldn't be too upset. If you want super fast service take it to Jiffy Lube. My service dept. has a 30min oil change guarantee...but the second you add anything the guarantee is void and you become the victim of whatever abuses they wish to put upon you. If they did a good job and otherwise followed your instructions it's probably not bad for a Saturday.

4. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I just took my car in this Saturday for the 5000 mile checkup. They told me the car would be ready in two hours. They shuttled me back to my house and picked me up at my house when my car was done. No complaints here.

5. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ....#2 - did not specify 3.5 Q maximum !:welcome:

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    When I took my 2008 in for the 5K work they told me 1 1/2 hours. It took 3 hours. I was only upset at the poor estimate not the time it took. If they had told me 3 hours it would have been fine and I would have used my time better. I could see the car up on a rack with nobody working on it for over an hour. I would think that a Toyota dealer would have a pretty good handle on how long it would take. They also didn't deliver the car to the spot where they told me to wait. After waiting 10 minutes I walked around and found it parked with no keys. I then had to go into the service counter where someone located the keys.

This was my first experience with this Toyota dealer and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. However I've had Honda's for over 10 years and I never had a similar experience. The one Honda dealer always went out of their way to give me the best service. After a few years they started giving me a regular 10% discount for service too. I expect the same from Toyota and will wait to see how it goes.

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Everything you mentioned is a simple DIY kind of job. You could have easily done all those jobs in way under two hours, and saved a ton of money. I haven't been back to the dealer since I wrote the check, except to buy a couple of filters and a Prius die cast. I found online sources for filters, and now have NO reason to waste my time sitting around a dealer. The Prius is one of the easiest cars I've owned when it comes to routine service, plus, the exercise is good for you.

8. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think two hours was reasonable for a dealer. Probably would have been about 40 seconds for a NASCAR pit crew.

9. Vic Doucette

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    subarutoo, I have dexterity issues because of cerebral palsy. It's a simple DIY job for most, I'll admit, but beyond my capabilities. That goes double when its 40-ish, windy and raining, as it was Saturday.

My brother, a service advisor at a Cadillac dealership -- and a Prius owner to boot -- said he thought 90 minutes would have been about right.

10. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dude, it was Saturday. They got you in and out FAST!!!

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I apologize. I didn't know your physical situation, and was speaking (maybe too) broadly. I'm 58 years old, and thankful to still be able to do this type of thing myself. I hate setting foot inside dealerships for any reason. If the time is an issue for you, many independent garages can perform the services maybe at less cost, and time.

12. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dude be happy that u only had to wait that long....i made an appointment for a Saturday to replace 2 window motors in my truck under warranty. Brought it in at 7 AM on Saturday, my service guy told me he would have it back to me by noon tops....well, 3PM rolls around and still no call so i head down there....truck hasnt even gone back yet, its still sittin on their waiting lot...so i go raise some hell and by 6 when the service department closed i got my truck back....

god i hate this dealer....anyone in the San Diego that wants to know which dealer this is and documented experience, shoot me a PM

ok i'm done venting and hijacking this thread

13. Vic Doucette

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Subarutoo, no offense taken.