1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did mormons really believe that...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One note about baptism for the dead: The mormons have it in their heads that they need to "save" everyone who's ever died by performing post-mortem baptisms, but to accomplish this feat, they need to know who "everyone" is.

So the side-effect of their crazy idea is that they have constructed an enormous and invaluable genealogical library. Personally, I'm willing to let them believe that they're saving the souls of the dead in exchange for this invaluable public resource.

If they went around to people's graves and sprinkled holy water on them or something more visible and potentially insulting I might dislike it, but as it is, they perform their rituals in temples, far from any public audience.

At this point I should probably admit that I have, in fact, been baptized for the dead, in the Salt Lake City temple. This was around the time that I was making my exodus from the mormon faith, and I did find the whole thing a little creepy. Not the least of the creepy aspects was that we accessed the temple by entering another building and then going through an underground tunnel into the temple (if you've ever been there you'll notice that you never see the doors open, and never see anyone enter or leave).

2. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Feb 19 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]393035[/snapback]</div>
    Not all Christians believe in the Trinity. Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe that Jesus is part of a "Godhead", and we believe that the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost) is God's active force, or power, not a separate intelligent being. The New Catholic Encyclopedia itself admits: “The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.â€â€”(1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.
    We believe that Jesus Christ is a created being, "the firstborn of creation" by God, "the beginning of the creation by God", the "only-begotten son" of God, so therefore he cannot be coequal or coeternal with God, as the Trinity Doctrine states. (Colossians 1:15,16, Revelation 3:14, John 1:14 NWT) So, we ARE monotheists. ;)

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Feb 25 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]396189[/snapback]</div>
    Feh, you can never have too much data.

Though I bet I gave you a disturbing mental image, didn't I? Trust me on this, there is nothing creepier than a guy in mormon underwear staring at you after you're stripped in a locker room.

I completely agree your points about baptisms for the dead.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Feb 26 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]396656[/snapback]</div>
    Jehovah's Witnesses are monotheists, and the LDS are polytheists. They say (now) that they aren't because they worship one God, which begs the question. They are polytheists because they believe there ARE other gods; i.e., when asked, they will say they believe in the "Divinity of Christ" which is trinitarian-speak for believing in the trinity, but what they mean is that Jesus is another divine person besides "God the Father". Another God.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Feb 27 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]397508[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Jay--I agree with you about "data." It's the INFORMATION upon which I was commenting...the disturbing mental image that stops me every time! B)

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 1 2007, 07:14 AM) [snapback]398345[/snapback]</div>
    Hehehe me in a locker room, or the mormon guy in his Special Underwear staring at me?

Seriously, I thought I had a "malfunction" down there. Even looked to make sure ... creepy.

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Mar 1 2007, 05:42 PM) [snapback]398802[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. B)