1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did my father pay too much for a certified prius?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by PepoGimez, Jun 22, 2017.

1. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My father was recommended a Toyota salesmen that goes to a church my family frequently visits. He said he would help us since he appreciates the work my father does for our churches. He seemed genuine, but only the numbers really count in the end.

He got us a certified 2013 Prius 3 with 44,000 miles. He quoted my dad $17,800 with 5% APR over 72 months.

The total after taxes with interest after the 6 years he would be paying $24,400. So about $310 a month.

My father was only able to put $1,500 down and we traded in our old rickety minivan (Is now a saftey hazard, thus why we were looking for a new car) for another $1000 credit.

He never expected to buy a car from a dealership as we are not the most well off family, but if they work hard, they could probably manage the payments. But it seems they are having trouble sleeping tonight thinking of how much money they have to pay now.

Was this a good price? Or should he return it? (He bought it today, so he has a few days to return it).

Extra details that may be important:

About 8 years ago my parents filed for bankruptcy, and the dealer made a point that 5% APR is very good considering that detail. He said APR would normally be 11%.

The Prius was the newest looking out of all the used in the lot (no scratches and the interior looks brand new).

It has tinted windows and new tires. (They said they wouldn't charge us for these, but Idk).

Thank you very much in advance for any and all advice here! I really want to make sure they aren't paying more than it's worth, especially since they are having a hard time swallowing this purchase.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's hard to say, without shopping around and seeing what else is available. the best thing to do would be to rerun it and start over.
    if in the end, they can't find a better deal, make the purchase. but honestly, i don't believe people in difficult financial situations should be buying hybrids. there is a price and repair premium, not made up by gas savings. a corolla etc. is usually a better decision. all the best to them!(y)

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Edmunds, a pristine 2013 Prius 3 is worth roughly $15,600 from a dealer. Add another $1000-$1500 for Certified and that's $16,600-$17,100. So I'd say the car your dad bought was overpriced. And while I don't share Bisco's reservations about buying hybrids on a budget, I do think that cars are depreciating assets. So it's not a good idea to finance one in general. But if you believe you need to do so, only finance when you KNOW you will be able to make the payments. Since your parents are unsure they will be able to make the payments, I think they should return the car and look for something much less expensive.

Also, if your parents filed for bankruptcy 8 years ago, that should no longer be affecting their credit reports. Negative credit information is taken off credit reports after 7 years. If your parents need an auto loan, the best place to get one would be a local credit union. There is a good chance they would have an interest rate closer to 3%.

#3 Moving Right Along, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Deogratias likes this.
  4. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my humble opinion, that salesman took your parents for a "ride." Just because people go to church, does not mean they are honest for have your best interest in mind.

I agree with the above, the bankruptcy should not have affected their purchase. Advise your parents to not even mention it.

I believe the used Prius was overpriced. You could've gotten a brand-new Corolla L for that money. Or a very good used Corolla for about $13,000-$14,000.

If it was my folks, I would suggest they return the Prius. Also look at the Scion iA. A nice little sedan that gets very good gas mileage.

Deogratias likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's almost $5,000 more than I paid in December for a 2013 Plug in Prius with 52,000 miles. Granted, mine came with some cosmetic blemishes, but nowhere near $5,000 worth. I could probably fix the worst of them for under $1k.

I agree with earlier posts, too, that they are paying too much interest and that it's generally a bad idea to finance a car unless you are desperate.

PA Prius likes this.
  6. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They can afford it, if they work a little harder. But they are just worried they got an overpriced car, and maybe they should've gotten a used model like my 04 Gen 2.

My parents got a $29 extra warranty with the car ($2000 over the 6 years), that has bumper to bumper repairs covered. So that's on top of it all. I realize that prius have premiums for repairs. I've been doing all the repairs myself on my 04 for that very reason. But that's expected I guess. With the way my family drives, we save a few grand a year on gas with each prius we own. We drive about 30k miles a year per car.

I was looking around and it seems there are better priced cars, but we were also told that list prices in other dealers don't mention a few grand in hidden prices.

bisco likes this.
  7. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, that's where they got the loan from. They were pre-approved for 10% APR from our local credit union, which is why they assumed they were getting a good deal at 5% APR after some "calls" the dealer made. Their credit is now slowly coming back up, but it's still not ideal I guess.

Yeah, apparently they quoted us $17,800 for the certified car, but I had to leave early and couldn't see the financial portion, and in the end my dad came home saying the final total after taxes and interest would be $24k over the next 6 years (about $310 a month).

He also decided to add their bumper to bumper protection for $29 which, I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not. But it keeps him at ease for the time being.

They are pretty sure they can make the payments, they are just not sure it's justified on this purchase. As in, maybe they could have gotten a better deal elsewhere just paying the higher interest, but a more appropriate price on the car itself.

8. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I should also mention, the reason my parents are looking for a car is that we had two cars, and three drivers that always need to go to different places. We had my own 04 prius that I bought about 3 years ago. And our 2002 KIA minivan which is no longer good. The minivan is pretty much done so we really need at least one more car, and my parents don't have much more than 3-4k to buy one if they didn't want to finance. So they were hoping that through financing they could get a slightly better car and just pay it slowly rather than throwing everything all at once for a worse car.

They think they can make the payments, but they want to know they aren't overpaying for the car.

I paid 5.5k cash for mine 3 years ago through CL (not a great deal, but not terrible at the time).

9. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, it's a shame. This guy apparently "helped" many of my father's coworkers, and many many other people from our church in the area. And if he "helped" them the same way he "helped" us, then he's making a good living off people who hoped they could trust him.

Granted, this guy was highly recommended by so many people, that my father felt he could place his trust in him. But sales are sales, that's the business.

Yeah, we talked about it afterwards and we came to the conclusion that he shouldn't of had mentioned his bankruptcy, that we had the minivan to trade in, or that we had 1.5k as a down payment. :/

They are pretty dead set on a prius as we have had an excellent experience with my own (04 Gen 2). But if they are going that route, I just don't want them to get scammed.

I'll talk to them about returning it. Today has been rough for everyone with all of this going through our minds.

10. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They are pretty desperate at the moment haha. But I'm not sure if desperate enough to overpay for a car. I personally would like for them to get no less than a Gen 3 with around 50k miles (if they are buying from a dealer), but they don't need all the shiny bobs of the level 3 model. We never use my own cars GPS, we just use our phones for that.

Is the price you paid including interest, or did you pay it in full? If we had paid the car in full + tax, but without interest, it would have landed around $20,500 I think.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not taken out a car loan since about 1996. Paid off the last one in early '99. I paid $12,995 but that was before tax and registration fees. Grand total was closer to $14, I think. It almost drained our savings, but I expect to drive it a long time.

12. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With $3000-$4000, they could get a higher mileage Camry or Corolla that, if it's been well cared for, could still last them a while. And if they save up their extra money, they'll be able to get a better car when it dies and they won't have to overpay for it. Financing is only a good deal for the bank and the dealer. Between the initial price and the finance charges, your parents are currently set to pay almost $10,000 more for the Prius than it's worth. And that's massively overpaying.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The costs to owning a car is not just the car payment. There's insurance, maintenance, gas, repairs, etc.

Your parents would be upside down on this loan for 72 months. That's 6 years!! The car is already 4 years old, add 6 more years and by the time 10 year comes, you'll still be upside down on the loan. So basically you're paying $310 to rent this car cause you'll never be able to sell it for the cost of the loan.....ever. By the time you owe $5000, the car will only be worth $4000.....

#1 - yes you're over paying
    #2 - you keep mentioning they probably can't afford it
    #3 - bankruptcy is not an event you want to repeat

#4 - return the car if you still can and get something less expensive.

Mavi likes this.
  14. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Completely Agree with JC on this. Overpriced and they should possibly look into financing a lower mileage 2008-2009 prius for 7-8k or even better a camry so you won't need to deal with battery failure ever.

15. wyolancer

wyolancer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I got the same car with solar roof and optioned up with no blemishes and certified with 26000miles for $18000 13 months ago. Nice churchy buddy.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. WilliamP

WilliamP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A friend just got a pristine 2013 prius four with 60k miles with the solar roof for $13k from a toyota dealer, but that is a pretty good deal.

17. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I really appreciate everyone's advice!

I completely agree with what you all are saying. I talked to them and explained what I've learned and found some other options online for them to look at. But I guess,in the end, they decided they want to keep it. :unsure:

I can't really say that I completely understand their financial situation, as they are my parents, and they would rather not share most of those details with me. But after talking to our accountant, they decided that it was their best option to just pay this car off over time. Almost like a rental (with the extra warranty it should stay pristine for at least the 6 years they are paying it off).

I guess the only upside I can see is that after battling with very worn down van for the last 5 years, they can finally get some relief from repairs for the foreseeable future. The "friendly" salesman offered us his employee discount for anything we needed from the dealership/mechanics, so I'm going to make sure and take FULL advantage of that. From tires, to every quart of oil.

Personally, I don't think it was the right move to keep it. As many of you mentioned, a cheaper car now, and some saving later, they could've saved much more money on a better vehicle. But, there's nothing I can do about it. So I'll try to enjoy and help them take care of the car as best I can.

However, I'll definitely keep all your great advice into consideration when I decide to upgrade my own Prius for something newer. It's just beginning to show some age at 13 years old and 200k miles (which is impressive considering how most cars decay).

Thank you again everyone! :)

wyolancer likes this.
  18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The reason car dealers are closed on Sundays is because they have to be in church all day to repent. Every dealer tacks on BS fees. In NJ at least the dealers are now disclosing them up front.

Before buying stuff from the dealer check prices for the same stuff elsewhere, An employee discount of 20% off a $10 item isn't a bargain if it can be bought elsewhere for $7. For example, right now Walmart has the 5 quart jug of Castrol 0W20 on line for $17.88. The 1 quart bottle is $5.88.

Call the Parts Dept. at the dealer & ask for their prices. Are they still cheaper after applying the employee discount?

Free credit reports are easy to get at creditkarma.com or discover.com and one doesn't know what's on the credit report until one looks.

Read the warranty. Unlimited mileage for 6 years? I doubt it. At 30000 miles/year my guess is that the warranty will expire in year 2 although they will still be paying for it through year 6. Cancel the warranty if possible and use the $29/month to build up an emergency fund. There are at least 3 banks that pay at least 1% on deposit accounts.

I wish them many years of happiness with the car.

19. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Haha, if only :p

Yeah, I totally understand. I wish I would've said something when we were there. My parents went to the dealer just to look, and ended up buying the first car they were shown. I didn't even have time to check elsewhere.

I had checked elsewhere for prices on Prius V, as that was the car they were interested at first. But then they showed us a V in "meh" condition and they preferred the nicer looking yet older Prius we were shown at first. I really should've said something at the time, but they were really desperate for a car, and when they told them "Of course we can finance a car for you. So long at it's certified." Then they felt they had no other choice.

We usually like to buy most parts/fluids from Toyota (unless they are overpriced like the Odometer screen I had to replace on my car). I bought oil the same day for my own prius and 4 quarts cost me $12. So it's not too bad.

I assume they did. I didn't ask much, as I generally don't about that stuff. But apparently their credit is still pretty bad since they had an issue where my mother forgot to make a $10 recently and it once again tanked their credit after building it back up after so many years.

I should definitely do that. They said it's bumper to bumper protection until the car is paid off. They said it includes any repairs and maintenance except tires, oil change, and something else that's done often (can't remember). But I'll look into it, because after 6 years the warranty ends up totaling $2,000.

Thank you very much :)

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In my experience trying to help family members turns out to be a thankless job and a no win scenario. There is only so much one can do and at least you tried.

The warranty won't cover batteries. There has to be a page listing what the extended warranty covers and an even longer list of what isn't covered. Chances are whatever is going to fail will be on the "what isn't covered" list.

Do your parents have gap insurance on the car? It could have been a condition of the loan. If not, get a quote from their insurance carrier. If the car is totaled the gap insurance will pay off the loan.