1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did my father pay too much for a certified prius?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by PepoGimez, Jun 22, 2017.

1. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I tried. Maybe in 6-10 years they'll make a better decision :p

That was it! It doesn't cover the small battery. I'm definitely going to check that out. I totally agree with that. Unless it's "fully covered", then it most likely isn't. We have full cover with our car insurance anyways too.

I'll look up what gap insurance is, I've never heard of that. But we do have our car fully covered, and our insurance has been pretty great with us before. I'm just not sure they would cover the whole loan, maybe just the price of the car.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I'm not mistaken, if the car is totalled today, the insurance company pays for the car's value, which is probably $15000. The rest of the loan will be yours to pay back.

Am I correct? Minus the interest from 71 months

3. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's what I assume. We haven't bought a car from a dealership for at least 10 years. So that's probably what would happen. We'd end up owing about 4-6k more to the dealership.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your parents will have to come up with the difference to pay whoever wrote the loan almost immediately. Naturally, that church going salesman will be heartbroken to see such good folk caught in such an unpleasant situation, you know having no car and no cash. So, to help them out he'll talk to his manager about taking the balance owed and roll it into the loan (for another 72 months to lower the monthly payment) for the replacement car.

Keeping people under water (or upside down) in a loan guarantees a repeat customer and one who probably has a higher than average profit margin.

Full coverage on the automobile insurance policy will pay for any damage to the car, the property of others, and personal injury (less the deductible).

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You don't say what state you are in, but I have to disagree with the majority of the posts. At $17,000 you are at about the average price of a Prius in that year in California. You say your parents had a BK, they should feel blessed that they could get a loan and at 5% it's a gift from the bank. Yes the interest adds up over 72 months, but the bank is taking a risk too. Could they have gotten a better deal on the price, maybe, could they have gotten better then 5% interest. I don't think so. So it's kinda a wash for them. We all need reliable transportation, they bought a Toyota, great decision, a Prius, even better. Have them be
    greatful for a pretty good deal and enjoy the car.

6. Lwirmo

Lwirmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just purchase a car and paid in full. I had thought I made a wise choice until I checked with the local CU and they offered 1.49% rate for 3 years. Jumped right on and pulled most of the money out. Not sure if it was because i bought a new car and my score is over 760.

penfed also offers the same rate. Their used car loan is 3.49% for 5 years.

#26 Lwirmo, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  7. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even with those rates, you're better off paying in full than taking out a loan in the vast majority of situations. Very few banks will pay those rates of interest for an account containing enough money to buy a car, and the stock market always has the risk that you'll lose money instead of gain.

8. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did they look into leasing ?? Vs what their monthly cost will be ?

9. Lwirmo

Lwirmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Meant to suggest OP's dad to shop around for rates. True that all investments bear risks. But if you just want to beat the 1.49% rate, GSBank offers 2 year CD with 1.54%. It will not be worth the effort for most ppl if it is the only option. but nonetheless it is free money.

10. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well look at this way. Does your parent's Prius is doing it's job as a transportation as expected? Does newer Prius bring smile on you and your parents face? So it's well worth the money your parents paid. Prius will keep going like rabbit with little maintenance.

11. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unfortunately lease was not an option, and things kind of turned for the worst. The state is AZ. We went to a few other dealerships and they even offered an identical 2015 for 14,000 flat at 9% (which is what our credit union offered), and it included gap insurance and all other other bits and bobs.

We talked to our insurance and our bank and they both said that they could not offer gap insurance as the car is more than 2 years old, and that we would probably get maximum 17,000 if the car was totaled (we have full coverage). So either we get gap insurance or we may end up owing 7,000 and have no car on top of it (even if it isn't our fault).

We tried going back to the dealer to see if there's anyway to get gap insurance from them , or to return the vehicle, but the salesman that "helped" my family said there's nothing they can do. They can return $300 to us in a check if that makes us feel better, but there's nothing that can be done anymore as the deal has already gone through with their bank.

Now my parents are feeling even worse than before. Which is really a bummer. They've never had good luck with big dealerships and buying a car on credit. Hopefully third times the charm. They are probably going to try and find a lawyer and see if there's anyway to return the vehicle. I'm not sure if anything can be done, but I think at the very least they've learned their lesson.

P.S. The warranty on the car is from date of manufacture, so even though they kept telling us the car has 100k drive train and the extended warranty is 6 years, it actually isn't. The car would have 55k drive train (or 3 years), and the extended warranty would only last for 3 years, even though my parents would automatically owe 2,000 to the bank for it. :/

P.S.S. On a slightly positive note, the car seems almost brand new. It drives very nicely, and look good. Still has that new car smell. But my parent's don't even want to look at it, much less touch it. If they would've been able to buy it with straight cash, I feel like this car may have been an acceptable, even if they overpaid. Who knows how long it'll stay in this condition though.

My 04 with 200k miles, with about 1,000 to tune it up, would probably drive somewhat close to this new one.

I really really appreciate all the helpful information you guys have been giving. It's been very helpful to get a clearer picture of what is going on in this situation. If my parent's end up having to bite the bullet and just deal with this mistake. Then hopefully it will serve as the last time they go through this. I know I've learned a lot about what not to do, from experience, and what I should do instead, from your advice.

Thank you again! :)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the warranty was from date of first registration.

13. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That makes more sense. Sorry, it's been a few days since we went to the dealership. However, I don't remember any mention of the word registration.

However, I do know they kept saying the car comes with 100k drive train or 7 years (I think 7), the day my parents bought it. I kept asking the dealer if that means the warranty lasts until the car has 145k miles, or 7 years from today. And he kept saying "Yes, there's nothing to worry about. It's well covered."

I left before my father was offered the extended warranty, so I can't really say more than I've been told on that part.

#33 PepoGimez, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  14. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suspect a lawyer will pretty much say they are SOL. Verbal representations are worth the paper they are printed on. What counts is what is included in the signed contract.

Cancel the extended warranty. The refund will be sent to whoever wrote the loan as they paid for it. If you can get $300 out of the dealer take it.

The warranty clock doesn't reset whenever the car is sold. The clock starts running on the day it was originally sold.

Pepo, I don't understand your numbers. My understanding from the first post was that the purchase price was $17800. In post 31 you believe the insurance company values the car at $17000 (or so). If the car is declared a total loss they will pay something around $17000 so your parents aren't looking at a significant loss. The loan does not continue for the balance of the term.

The car can always be returned to the dealer but the dealer isn't going to pay retail value for it. As already stated, they bought a good car at a reasonable price with a below market rate loan. Enjoy the car and learn from the experience.

15. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's probably the case. But they want to try anything they can. This is way to much money to just "accept" their situation without trying every option. But yeah, my father made the mistake of going to the dealership, desperate for a car, all while being distracted with other life matters. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, regardless of the outcome.

Lol, well now we know. :p

The price on the tag said $17,800. After talking to the salesman, they started tacking on prices for the new tires, the alarm system, the tinted windows, the edge protectors, etc. and the car ended up around $19,000-$20,000. That doesn't include taxes, registration, plate, title, etc. Our insurance said if there happened to be a crash, they would cover the price of the car, and only the car for it's market value, which happened to be somewhere around $14,000-16,000. So they said the max we would probably get offered (as a rough estimate), if the car was totaled, would be $17,000, less as time goes on (from our insurance as we have full coverage). Meaning that the rest of the loan is still up to my parents. Which is still a few thousand, but that price that's left over is still subject to the interest. And my parent's rarely have that much money to pay off all at once.

My parents will still owe around $4000-5000 for the rest of the stuff that shot up the price of the car + title, registration, etc. and that will still increase due to interest. On top of which they will be left without a car. (This is all in the case of an unlucky situation that the car does get totaled since they are not able to get the gap insurance anymore).

Again, I can't really say too much specifics as I wasn't there when my father was talking to the financial representative (finalizing paperwork and doing all the signing), so my prices may be slightly off. But that's pretty much the gist. I hope that made a little more sense.

P.S. The other dealer I mentioned that offered a 2015 for $14,000 flat, included title, registration, tinted windows, new tires, alarm, and all the other bits and bobs that this current dealership didn't tell us they'd charge for until after my father had already given them his credit info.

16. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The loan terminates when the car is totaled and the remaining balance becomes due. One can see the remaining balance on the loan through creditkarma.com (and perhaps through the other free credit reporting sites). If they are still upside down in the loan at that time they will have to look for a personal loan or use the equity in their house.

"My parents will still owe around $4000-5000 for the rest of the stuff that shot up the price of the car + title, registration, etc. and that will still increase due to interest." What they still owe for "all that stuff" will decrease as they make the monthly payments. Their monthly interest expense will decrease over time. In the early months of the loan almost the entire payment is interest. At he end, the monthly interest expense will a tiny portion of the payment. The total amount of interest paid will increase every month.

Please keep us posted.

SFO likes this.