1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did the Boston authorities overreact?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Feb 1, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. Here's my question (and I skimmed through much of this thread, so I apologize if this point has already been raised):

I can understand the cops deciding to check out one of these things. But why in the name of the FSM, after they took one down and saw what it was, did they continue to go berserk and spend three quarters of a million bucks searching out and removing all the others?????

That sounds like utter bureaucratic idiocy.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 2 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]384400[/snapback]</div>
    They were in constant contact with the Terror Response Center in DC. They were coordinating with them at all times.

The fear was that the first few were 'decoys' meant to lull everyone.

That's a standard tactic that is included in the standard response protocols. What would everyone be saying if it had been a planned attack, with a couple of "Duds" intenionally planted up front, then followed with the real thing, and everyone ignored the real thing.

Boston alone didn't make the decision to continue to treat the threat with all due caution until the situation was clear. It was a joint effort involving all the Law Enforcement agencies involved.

As someone else pointed out, the Advertisers knew this was going on, and ordered everyone to keep quiet as it played out rather than letting anyone in on the situation. There is actually an email chain showing that they ordered the two guys who were arrested to 'lay low' and not give any information to Boston or Homeland Security.

Some folks here seem to think that it should have been immediately apparent what was going on when the first device is found. That's just not the case. Nobody knew what the situation was, and until they did they took every precaution.

Personally, I prefer that approach to the alternative.

Personally, I also think the advertisers are far more responsible for the length of the disruptions than the Public Servants who were going to look at Unknown Devices, unsure if they would be going home to their families that night.

Once it became clear that this was an issue, the Advertisers decision (conspiracy?) to keep quiet and 'let it play out' to maximize publicity is not only stupid, but criminal.

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    When societies go mad...

Didn't take much to destroy America after all.

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To be honest,
    if some of the devices had been "decoys" and others real,
    and say the devices bew up and killed a bunch of people,
    I would not blame the government for not doing more or something different
    i would blame those who planted the devices (or those who I thought planted the devices)
    and woud go to their country/state/village/cave and kill them, all of them.

People put to much faith in government to solve all their problems,
    jobs
    food
    education
    safety
    The FIRST person responsible for these things are YOU (and implicitly me)

Those who really on Government are no better off than slaves!

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Feb 2 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]384497[/snapback]</div>
    You're right, a lot of people do put too much faith in government. They also put a lot of their own money in to the operation of government and expect government to do more. The problem is that they don't know when to start taking the responsibility for their own lives and their own actions. If I put a device up in a public place that is artistic in nature and intent and someone lets their imagination or fear run wild and assume that it's a bomb and gets law enforcement and government all worked up and spends a lot of money to "deal" with the perceived terrorist act then it wouldn't be my fault that that other person jumped to conclusions and confused their opinion with fact. Ergo, it's that other person's fault, in large part, for starting the whole thing. If you were the government you might get all in a lather and blame me but my intent wasn't terrorism and terrorism wasn't on my mind. Terrorism, though, WAS on the mind of the person who started the incident by calling the authorities and it was on the minds of the authorities who didn't stop to think before reacting.

As far as the notion is that if the guys who put up the devices had gotten some permit then nothing would have happened in the first place is not that cut and dried. People often don't read signs and they don't bother to check to see if a permit was issued. Why do you think they put "Don't drink this, it's poison and will kill you" type warnings on turpentine and household cleaners? It's because at least one moron drank it and either he or his heirs sued the manufacturer. It's the manufacturer's fault that the moron drank something that they made for any purpose other than human consumption? No, of course not. Even if the manufacturer puts the warning on the can, some other moron will drink it because people don't read flipping warnings. Do morons like that bother to say 'boy was I stupid, it's no one's fault but mine'? No, a lot of us automatically look outside of ourselves for someone to blame; automatically assume that 'oh no, it wasn't me'.

Say what you like about Michael Moore, I believe that his Columbine movie's central premise was dead on: that the number one reason, if not the only reason, that the United States has so many homicides, not to mention a lot of other problems, is that we're so afraid of everything and everybody. That fear is our predominant emotion. That is why it's so easy to get us to stampede and act like "dumb, dangerous, panicky animals" (from Men in Black) by simply saying 'Terrorist!' or 'BOMB!'. It's the number one reason why it's so easy for government and big business to lead us around by the ring through our noses because we've given up the right to think for ourselves and given in to reacting in fear every time a leaf blows across the street and scares us to death. It's why we pull out our guns and start shooting. If all that we do is react in fear and reserve thinking for later, we're little better than the animals that we eat.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Feb 2 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]384438[/snapback]</div>
    In that case, I'd favor civil charges against everyone involved, for concealing information that would have saved the city a considerable amount of money.

7. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD New Member

The press conference was great. They were basically expressing how rediculous the whole thing was to them, including the media hype. I love how fast the media turns on people when they realize that instead of them getting that big, juicy, gossip, story, they're getting squat. I loved it.

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 2 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]384571[/snapback]</div>
    The point of getting a permit isn't so that people will read the permit and know that whatever is hanging there is okay. The point is, one probably shouldn't be putting up anything unless on a public structure there is a legitimate need to do so.

9. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Feb 2 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]384447[/snapback]</div>
    'Mission Accomplished' by Osama bin Laden for around USD$500,000.

I'd say he got his money's worth.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Feb 3 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]384825[/snapback]</div>
    Who decides what is legitimate or not? Try to define that in a way that would stand up in court when you haul off some kids to jail for putting up a marketing campaign. Advertising is a legitimate need and that's what they were doing. So what you're saying is that if you deem it to be not legitimate that the authorities can do whatever they want to do and stick someone else with the blame? No, the issue is that just like a lot of other people do, when the authorities realized that they'd made a serious blunder they tried to cover it up by saying 'this is what we meant to do, yep, they're guilty of perpetrating a hoax...uh, they're terrorists uh it's not that we did anything wrong, those two kids are guilty of terrorism. Nope, we didn't overreact this was appropriate response to uh, a hoax, uh, a terrorist act of putting up electric signs of cartoon characters that we weren't cool enough to know about so that's terrorism.' Another example of the "authorities" overreacting, behaving badly and blaming someone too small to fight back.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think having a permit to hang something is a GOOD idea.

If you need to ask why, look at your email inbox. Do you have a spam filter? Sign permits are the city's spam filter.

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 3 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]384907[/snapback]</div>
    And that's really the only thing that they could really be penalized for eventually, not filing for a permit. But my initial intent with that is that would a permit really have made a difference with the authorities? Would they have bothered to check before flipping out? Do we know for a fact that they didn't have a permit?

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    haha that is hilarious