1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did the Ugly Duckling grow into a beautiful swan?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Oct 2, 2010.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Gen III is the Gen II minus the oddness and awkwardness. Definitely more mainstreamed. IMO, any oddness/awkwardness distracts from the beauty of it. I can name a few models of Ferrari, Corvette, Porsche, etc. with an awkward angle to it and it definitely didn't help.

I'm one of those new breed of Prius owners who would not consider a Gen II before the 17"-wheel Gen III. Today I would not mind getting a Gen II but only if I upgrade to bigger rims. Don't like the Gen III with 15" wheels either. Too awkward looking.

2. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a gen 3. To be honest I prefer the gen 2 styling better. It was more balanced than the current model. The gen 3 has more of an aggressive style but I really do not like it overall.

1 person likes this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I prefer Gen3 exterior and Gen2 interior.

2 people like this.
  4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But in the 2nd Gen Prius they missed the best proportion of front and rear seatroom / legroom ....

>> When you have a 6'2" guy like me, 35" inseams sitting in backseat of Gen2 Prius, and there is still 4" room in front of my knees with front seat slid full back, there is a fundamental problem. Really, what kind of people were they planning to put in the backseat anyway, NBA centers? The Gen2 roof peak and B (door) pillars are too far forward. But, this problem has been corrected in the 3rd Gen Prius.

The other minor styling stuff doesn't mean all that much. The chassis proportions do mean a lot.

5. dafinn

dafinn Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am in love with my Gen II Prius and the Gen III but not so much for what it looks like but what it does for me. I must admit the styling was not the car's main draw for me but I have always admired the versatility in all hatchback designs. Now I am waiting to see if Toyota comes out with a Prius Coupe hatchback as good looking as the concept car shown in other threads. If it also will be a PHV, then I know what my second car will be without any further thoughts (presently a Beetle TDI).

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's more like 3 1/2" measured in front of my knees, but still, it should be less than 2". IOW, everything, the B pillars, roof peak, steering wheel, front seat travel, touchscreen all ought to have been moved back about 1.5 to 2 inches.

Just goes to show it takes generations for a new car concept to reach a refined state and during the process, may the buyer beware.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your right, that means people buy other cars simply because there is nothing else to choose from since they are almost now all "ugly?"

I personally think the look has grown onto many, second.... so many other cars have the look now, your no longer a freak if you drive one, and third many people are pure social creatures and wrap their identity and social security therein.... if others are doing it, it must be ok..... few have the courage to be different, while others delight in breaking the norm to stand out.

Regardless of the personality and psyche involved, its now the norm.

If any manufacturer is going to beat it, they will have to do something thats just as bold towards efficiency and looks.... that means taking a chance... few companies have the guts to do that.

They will make prototypes but won't sell them.

How many cool prototypes have you longed to buy but were never released?

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your opinion is interesting and an example of the diversity of background and marketing challenges.

I personally have two Gen II's and one Gen III.... I prefer the Gen III and it feels like a more serious car to drive in many ways.

But again, thats just my opinion... both are sexy.
    I agree, the shoes could use some work... hard to find great wheels that don't take a serious MPG hit.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The suggestion of turning my avatar into a swan would be a serious Oxymoron!
    Seems the older I get the opposite happens....

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Its hard to assess opinions unless its either someone who has not owned either, or someone who has owned both.

I'm venturing to say.... if you actually own a Gen III and have driven it any amount time, your vote will be for the Gen III.
    But thats simply because thats what happened to me... I could be wrong.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Every time going out of a driveway, but not hitting the front tires squarely, I can feel the flex in the GenII chassis.

Funny how Macmaster says the GenII Prius says 'mod me'. 'Cause for many, it needs modding.

I could really do without the burping/farting sound of that coolant pump too.

12. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The angled beltline of the G3 is its most attractive feature. The sharp creases further makes the car look more chiseled and wedge-like. It has a purposeful stance, looking like it's ready to move forward. The 17's puts the necessary final touch. I only wish it was 3" wider, because the rear view does look a bit skinny.

The Gen 2 simply looks dorky. I have never like narrow headlights on any car (see Nissan/Infiniti). The side panels of the Gen 2 are rounded and bulges in the middle, making the car look fat.

13. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Wow! I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I think that the angled beltline is the least attractive aspect of the Gen 3. Not only does it damage the sight lines but to my eye, it makes the car look like it's designed by a fashion designer rather than someone who was thinking about function.

I also really wonder about the elaborate headlight profile.

I bought the Gen 3 for its multitude of other merits and despite the angled belt line and the headlights not because of them.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The front hood of the older Gen II's now look more cute to me.... kinda like "but not as much" the old luv bugs "VW beetle".
    Now that I've gotten used the the sharp lines of the Gen III.

But each car does grow on you... I remember when the Gen III's first came out I wasn't crazy about the sharp lines.... now its a more serious, mature, business look to me.

The suspension is no comparison!!!
    I was in my wifes car the other day and I drove it.
    I kept complaining to her about not keeping the air in her tires adequately filled because the car was very spongy.. especially at high speeds if you gently jerk the wheel back and forth or go around a winding overpass that connects one freeway to the next.

We got to the gas station and I checked her tires... they were fine!...
    I just wasn't used to the mushy suspension.

I don't want to slam the Gen II too bad but progress is progress.
    In strong cross winds we get here in Texas you can start to feel like a grasshopper on a windshield as the wind tosses and pulls at your hold on the road!

I was a very strong advocate for Brian's Stabilization plate for the Gen II and I still have them on to this day..

While it does a lot to help, one plate bridging the gap between a horseshoe that goes around the drive train does not compare to major stabilization bars that go from edge to edge like the Gen III has.

Anyone who can't feel the difference when the drive the two is numb.

But the original point of this thread was to point out that the prius now blends into the traffic on the freeway and no longer stands out.
    So many cars how copied its look and style that at first glance I often mistake one of its competitors with the Prius.

Pretty sad in a way.... pretty cool in another way.

15. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I own a gen 3 currently. I just do not like the appeal of the gen 3 vs the gen 2. I mean the prius is not a sport cars, and the aggressively styling is a bit much, and the more pronounced 'wedge shape' of the car is not attractive to me.

The gen 2 has a softer more balanced look.

Of course the opinions about the looks vary, but that's just my own observation.

1 person likes this.
  16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The G2 had a simple, functional, yet distinctive look.

The G3 has too many affectations, the best examples being the head and tail lights. I mean, was it necessary to have the the split at the rear of the headlights? That just looks silly. The same goes for the oversized tail-lights with the big wedge shape. Imagine if VW had done some of these things during the course of the Beetle's long production run.

OTOH, BMW has done a lot of the same sort of thing with their cars, starting with the Chris Bangle designed E65 7-series in 2002. While I absolutely detest the Bangle influence on BMW's vehicles, I am apparently in the minority, since BMW has enjoyed steady growth.

17. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you don't like the more aggressive styling of the G3, then you definitely won't like honda's new hybrid.

Love the wedge. Love the sculptured sides.

No question that the G3 is more attractive than the G2. Some folk at work can't believe it's a Prius, with comments like, "it looks too nice to be a Prius".

18. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Gen II is a very serious work or Art...Literally by the Eastern definition of the word..." the poetic study of the essence of a subject". The Gen III is a small advancement over the original work...a refinement really and therefore is not significant...i.e. the Gen II would be suitable for MOMA the Gen III would not make the cut...

Now aesthetically I think the Gen III has improved proportions and its connection to the design themes of the last Celica GT are obvious...In a way the cut lines now in fashion and seen on the latest BMW 3 series were predated by the same forms on the Celica. This is all a trend towards harder styling lines seen on the New Buicks, Cadillacs, Mercedes, BMW etc...Toyota's integration of this line energy is quite rigorous in a mid 80's Italian way (think Walter D'Silva Alfas). I like moving towards a more taught and muscular surface treatment and after the doughy forms of the 90's I would suggest there was no other direction for Auto stylists to go.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2010 Prius ---> 2000 Celica

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was behind a new cadillac yesterday that looked like if a Prius and one of the new fugly acuras mated... Had the Prius wedge with the sharp angles and the acura left right wedge.

The back looked just like a Prius with the rear window almost being horizontal, but there was no bottom lookout window.