1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did this bear hunter get what he deserved?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Sep 24, 2011.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are only two kinds of tragic deaths in sport hunting: animals and non-hunters hit by the trigger-happy.

1 person likes this.
  4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh dear, another problem with this was how it started. "I think I shot a black bear!" Then why did he shoot it?

5. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a fuster cluck. I support the right to arm bears.

8 people like this.
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "The bear also died"....... Dude, really?
    What moron shoots a 400 pound bear, takes a 15 minutes cigarette break, and then tracks and pokes a not dead bear. What, no 20 foot away Coup de Grâce to ensure the bear is dead? Good hunting partner...I wonder if he kept the bear?
    The sad reality that hunting is legal, sometimes necessary, a sport enjoyed by many, despised by an equal many. It's a billion dollar sport, but can killing really be considered sporty?

Nobody however, asked Yogi if he wanted to play! :eek:

1 person likes this.
  7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What the hunter planned to do

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bear hunting around here used to be done with a short, pointy stick and a huge dose of bravado. When the bear got close enough and opened its mouth, the stick was placed inside its mouth so that the bear would bite down on it and force the stick up through its brain. I don't imagine the success rate was very high, unless you're looking at the stats from the bears' point of view. I would have stuck with eating salmon, myself.

As for these two idiots? Natural selection at work.

9. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is just sad for him his friend and his family and loved ones. RIP Anyone else that doesn't think so or is amused in some way is sick.

This is tantamount to cheering over the death of a woman who had a late term abortion for no other reason that she was depressed because she couldn't barrel race her horse if she was forced to give birth.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    People around here bow hunt for black bear. Generally it is done from a tree, to which I am quick to point out: "You know, bears climb trees."

Tom

1 person likes this.
  11. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hunting is legal and I love me a good ribeye. While I would never hunt I also do not believe that I have the moral highground to pass judgement until I become a vegan which will happen when hell freezes over.

I do feel bad for both hunters and their famalies. The hunter that survived will have a lifetime of guilt.

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is black bear hunting purely for the trophy, or will they actually eat it? :confused:

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I lived in that general area, the people I knew who bagged black bear also ate them.

But checking the Idaho hunting rules (when this incident made the news a week ago, it was reported as right on the Idaho-Montana line, and they were licensed for both sides), hunters are not required to care for the meat of black bear, mountain lion, and gray wolf. Wasting the edible meat of any other big game is illegal.

I grew up under the "take only what you intend to eat, and eat what you take" philosophy.

As for identifying bear species, Montana bear hunters are required to complete a bear identification program. Idaho calls out which areas are now known to have grizzlies, and encourages hunters to take Montana's program.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    People eat them.

Tom

15. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I had some bear in Alaska... I decided then I won't eat any more mammalian predators... I didn't like the taste.

That includes reptiles and amphibians... now...

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ugh

double ugh

I may have to become a vegetarian again. I started eating meat again when I went to law school, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence. :rolleyes:

17. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bears also eat people...but I would say that people kill way more bears then bears people. I respect nature, but sadly there are some who don't...either being careless hunters or careless tree huggers.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man]Grizzly Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People tend to assume that I'm against hunting, because I'm a vegan.

No, actually, I'm not.

I am against "sport" hunting - i.e., for trophies. If you want to go out and bag a deer, or a bunny, or a bear (yuk), then by all means, fill a couple of freezers with the meat, and enjoy that. There is a certain respect for the animals that I have seen in real hunters ("real" as opposed to "sport"), which translates to caring for the hunting environment, only taking legal game, and supporting conservation efforts. "Sport" hunters, in my experience, are just pretty much the a$$holes of the outdoors.

It's like any other meat eaters. I advocate eating animals raised as naturally as possible - organic, grass-fed beef, that actually walked around pastures and grazed freely, and avoiding like toxins "factory" raised animals. I prefer not to eat any, thankyouverymuch, but realize that my lifestyle isn't for everyone.

And, to really bring this around to the OP topic: real hunters respect their prey, and don't pull stupid sh*t stunts that get them killed, usually.

7 people like this.
  19. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Rae- I agree with your beliefs. Before the Europeans traveled to the "new world" there were civilizations here that respected nature and the animals in this world. They had respect for the animals that they had to kill so that they could live. I'm not sure there is so much of that anymore as we don't see behind the walls of factory farms. Most of us just go to the store and get our meat in a package.
    As you stated real hunters respect their prey. What bothers me are trophy hunters and/or canned hunters. If anyone doesn't know what canned hunting is, a google search will inform you.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also advocate that animals be converted from the hoof to the shrink-wrapped package in the supermarket as humanely as possible.

There is a large segment of the all-hunting-is-evil crowd that refuses to consider how domestic meat ends up on their dinner plate. Numerous commercial slaughter operations don't measure up to the same respect for animals as the real hunters of which Rae speaks.

BTW, I grew up with both ranching and hunting, and have experienced the entire process of moving domestic animals from birth to the table, including the bloody parts not discussed in polite company at dinnertime. My meat consumption has dropped sharply since then, but it won't go to zero.