1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you buy a Prius with 100K+ miles? Share your story here!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusCamper, Jan 28, 2013.

1. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would expect some bearing issues on 100+ k miles car of any model/manufacturer. Pretty common AFAIK.

- Aleks

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to hear some details. I didn't know only Mobil 1 was compatible with prius.

3. Oenomaus

Oenomaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a 2005 Prius, with 127k miles on it, a few weeks ago. Not sure what trim model it is, it has HIDs, about the only thing I can think of that would be extra.
    So far, I've been averaging low 40s mpg. It is cold here and I haven't really learned how to drive the car yet, but otherwise, it's been a great car.

[​IMG]

iPad ? HD

4. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    BTW, we're almost at 134k now. Replaced the radiator and have done an alignment.

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Needed a radiator huh, that's a little unusual. Was it leaking or was it clogged?

6. Cezarcaz

Cezarcaz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Update on my car

Has 275k
    Inverter pump just changed inverter water pump

7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Guy I bought it from said his daughter had rear ended someone and barely did any damage...turns out it had damaged the radiator. Do your CarFax or your mechanic inspections folks!

8. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought my 06 October 2013 with 92,500 miles. It now has 114,500 miles. All I have done are oil changes, 4 sparkplugs, and headlight bulb replacement (Replaced both just because). That is literally it. Amazing car, I have owned 25 or so cars over the years, and this is easily the best one I have ever bought!

PriusCamper and usnavystgc like this.
  9. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is actually the second Gen II we've purchased with over 100k on the odometer. The first one was blue and had the battery replaced under warranty at 125k. It also needed an MFD replacement; we put in a used unit from someone else's totaled car. That blue one was promptly totaled when we were broadsided by a new Honda HHV but we all walked away without a scratch.

This red one had 101k on it when we bought it as a replacement for the other one.. This battery was showing some wear but it's been fine with battery conditioning and balancing. Only repairs have been the driver's side HID headlight and ballast (no longer waterproof) plus the rear hatch garnish (broke off). This car has already seen multiple trips to Colorado and Utah. It has also gone to North Carolina by way of Illinois and back with one of our daughters in the back (she's 5'10" tall). This car also sees the Mojave Desert and Palm Springs in the heat of the summer every week or two (golf and visiting relatives). With 142k on it it still only burns one quart of oil every 3k miles. We've been very pleased.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would love to know how all these 4-5 year old posts are doing now

srellim234 likes this.
  11. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How true. I'm honestly not expecting to still have this car that far out in the future. We will probably be replacing it in a few more years with something more comfortable as our ages advance and our driving needs change. The hope now is that the Prolong system helps the battery last until it's time to sell or trade the Prius. We'll recoup some of the money on the Prolong system then.

#111 srellim234, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought the ChuggyPyg (2009 Gen II (touring package)) back in Jan 2014 with 83k on the odometer, currently just about to hit 140k, still mid 40s MPG (see fuelly), just regular servicing and use of Hybrid Automotive Prolong Grid charging system. Only things I've added are, Wheelskins steering-wheel cover, a pair of ScanGauge IIs, dash-cam (ToGuardCE35) (see threads passim on advantages and need), complete set of custom interior sunscreens (from Ye Olde PriusChatte Shoppe) (after this past summer you should understand exactly why!). I love the car, it is great to drive (I drive part-time for a local courier company and have use of all their Corollas, Prii, Yariss and they also have some Nissan (RV200 small vans) - I've driven around 25k miles for them since last April, and still think that the ChuggyPyg is a better ride (IMNSHO!). ;)

srellim234 and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought my '07 with 175k miles in July 2017. It now has 196k. No issues except evap code p0446. Really love this car and want to make it go as long as possible.

srellim234 and WilDavis like this.
  14. Shermgreen

Shermgreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bought a 2007 base model. It has fogs hid headlights leather seat with 106000. I clay bar the car put a new wax on it. Also put new Michelin defender tires on them. Took the car to Los Angeles from San Francisco and it rode like a champ. Averaging 46 mpg.

Attached Files:

srellim234 likes this.
  15. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fast forward almost 4 years since I posted—I now have 202,200 miles and this is still our main family road trip car. It’s been on countless road trips and hopefully many more to come....

Many road trips to Chicago (about 8 hours away), countless road trips to Kansas City (3 hours away). Furthest trip was to Cocoa Beach, FL this past summer. $150 in gas

#115 Rph74, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Chickenie, bisco and VFerdman like this.
  16. Christopher Bovia

Christopher Bovia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just bought a 2008 Prius Package 2 with 197,000 miles. One owner drove about 19K+ Miles a year. From what I can tell all maintenance done at Toyota Dealership, Exterior and Interior in fantastic condition indicates it was likely garaged and likely parked in a garage during work. Clean Title which is sometimes hard to find here in SoCal. and I was told the Traction Battery was replaced under warranty. Dr Prius mobile app says battery is in good health, I haven't run the 15 min longevity test yet. But it is clean and so far the only thing we have noticed is the missing cargo/luggage pull cover. We're headed to a pick-n-pull tomorrow to see if we can find one. Otherwise we'll get one from ebay. Lucky to have newer tires. Maint records provided: Transmission fluid changed, belt changed, and 12V battery new in the last six months. Owner sold because he bought a plug-in Prius. The rear bumper is showing the slightest bit of discoloration and the rear hatchback trailing section of the window appears to be breaking down. I have wanted a Prius for a LONG TIME and so happy to finally have one especially living in SoCal and driving around 20K miles/year as well.

Rph74 and srellim234 like this.
  17. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    5 years on and I don’t have this car anymore, however it’s still in use everyday with over 270,000 miles on it, I see it quite regularly and it still looks really good for its age and mileage.

I had one other gen2 after this one that also ended up with more than 150,000 miles on it and is still going today as a taxi.

I had a gen 3 after my second gen 2 and whilst the gen3 was gentler on the eye internally and externally, mechanically I’m not sure the gen3 will achieve the mileages that a gen2 will, it has too many chinks in its armour

2010 Gen 3

Chickenie and bisco like this.
  18. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My daughter bought an 09 touring 2 years ago with 166k miles. Its at 230k now. Tires and a used MFD so far. I bought an 07 base with 150k a year ago. Just tires so far. I'm up to 173k. We maintain both with Mobil 1.

VFerdman likes this.
  19. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My battery died a year after I bought it. It's a 2010 Prius bought it for around 8k$ with 78000mi. Looking for a new battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. LoganAragon

LoganAragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First off, I would like to say this thread is 5 years old now and buying a used 2nd gen Prius is a whole different ball game than it was 5 years ago, specifical the traction batteries are approaching their design life and you should expect battery problems in your near future, unless you are buying a car with a battery pack that has been replaced (with NEW cells, not rebuilt). This is not necessarily a bug, but a feature, given that you can find 2nd gen's for $1000-$1500, in good condition but a dead hybrid battery and the repair is easily doable by most intelligent primates with a simple set of hand tools.

Secondly, Camper...you've been doing this a long time...and I thank you sir.

All that being said, here is a synopsis of my experience buying a prius with 100k miles.

I recently bought a 2006 Prius with 128K miles for $4000 and on the seventh day of owning it I got the red triangle of death, my biggest fear. With the help of this forum, and Camper specifically, we diagnosed it as a bad traction battery. After initial inspection, I realized that my battery had already been replaced, a little over a year ago, with a Dorman rebuilt unit. At this point I saw two ways forward, periodically recondition my ailing pack with something like a Prolong charger or replace the pack with new cells, either from Toyota or NewPriusBatteries.Com. I chose the Toyota route (~$1600 from my local dealer) because this car is supposed to be a commuter car for my wife who commutes 120 miles a day (I know, she's a trooper) and reliability is probably the most important consideration, seconded by fuel milage. I saw the NewPriusBatteries route as entirely viable and cheaper, but a bit more of an unknown and the Prolong charger as simply delaying the inevitable, but again, cheaper. Now the car is running better than I've ever seen it run and my wife is getting ~52.5 MPG. Other things I'm doing/have done in order to prolong the life of the car is a complete regimen of preventative maintenance: I have already replaced the IC air filter, the cabin air filter, the spark plugs and the serpentine belt. I still need to jack the car up and change the oil in both the IC and the CVT. Lastly, I've got a TPMS light illuminated on my dash and all of my tire pressures are adequate and stable, I believe this is because the batteries built into the sensors go dead after about 10 years, so when we replace the tires, I will make sure to have all of the sensors replaced and the light turned off. All of the work I have done to the Prius has been pretty straightforward and the car seems genuinely easy to service with a basic set of hand tools and a Mini VCI. Moreover, there is a vast wealth of knowledge here at PriusChat and on YouTube about very specific procedures that will walk you through just about any service item I can think of.

All said and done, I've got about $5500 invested into the Prius and plan to drive the poo out of it, I'm hoping to make the 300K mile club. I would highly recommend someone STILL (after all these years) buy a 2nd gen Prius, just try and do as much reading beforehand and know what you are getting into. As mentioned above, I think you could get wonderful value for money if you bought a 2nd gen Prius with a dead traction battery and replaced it yourself. Life's not about the destination, it's about the journey, revel in it.