1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you consider the Honda Clarity before your Prius Prime??

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by LeonardoDeclan, Dec 17, 2020.

1. LeonardoDeclan

LeonardoDeclan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Did anyone cross shop the clarity vs the PP? I really like the honda as its got more to offer (5 seats, more HP, very nice interior, more EV range, etc).

The one main reason I choose the PP is Toyota’s reliability and that the Prius has been around for decades. Also, the PP advance was a little cheaper than the clarity touring.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It also has better power to weight ratio in hybrid mode than the Clarity if you do mountain driving.

But the Clarity does have a larger tax credit due to the larger battery.

I did in passing but ultimately the lower cost of the Prime and greater hybrid mpg won it for me.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Honda Clarity seems like a good car but before you get your hopes up check availability. They are impossible to find new with a tax credit in most areas.

fotomoto likes this.
  4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've only considered and purchased Toyota's for the last 45 years. A large, perhaps largest, factor is the dealership is exemplary.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought about trading in my first PP for Clarity. It was a nicer car for sure. I liked the comfortable ride and the way it drove than PP. I was not too worried about the reliability issue everyone talked about Honda hybrid. After all, I drove Civic Hybrid for almost 10 years and it was the most economical car I have ever owned. (I wouldn't say it was the most reliable due to the failure of the IMA hybrid battery at 149kmiles. But it was replaced free under warranty.) That being said, two things made me decided not to get Clarity. No hatchback and shorter overall range. Also, Honda did not have as aggressive rebate offer as Toyota had on PP, making Clarity quite a bit more expensive even with a bigger fed tax credit.

#5 Salamander_King, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  6. eveyo

eveyo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I didn't consider the clarity as much as the ioniq. The reliability issues and the length of the clarity steered me away from it. Otherwise it would have been perfect with the ev range and interior. When I test drove it it was near silent and really smooth.

If I were to get a plug in now I would strongly consider the ioniq

TGrracie likes this.
  7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I did not consider the Clarity. The Prius Prime had the advantage that I've been in Toyotas for 30+ years. The majority of the controls are the same position and function as my wife's Camry Hybrid. That got me looking at the new Prime.

I liked the features. I liked the ergonomics. I liked the fastback. Her Camry is lacking in ability to carry bulky things.

I looked up the stats and was suitably impressed. I suffer a little from range anxiety. I went through the 1973-74 Oil Embargo and remember the "8 gallons every other day" fuel policies. Even in recent years I've been trapped in traffic jams that took several hours to clear. The 650 miles per tank/charge means I don't have to worry about running out in those circumstances.

A few years ago I rented a Rav4 with the lane keeping feature. I hated it. The car and I disagreed as to where the center of the lane was. I don't have that problem in the Prime.

If I was less impetuous I would have done the math and gotten a 2019 instead of a used 2017. I would have cleaned up on all the rebates and credits and such, paying about the same for the new one as I paid for the used.

I've been very happy with the Prius Prime. We drive it much more than the other car. I'd buy another unless a much superior design comes to market.

Dan

8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does the Prime have a log of every drive? The Clarity could be better for me if my trips are mostly within its EV range, but I need to figure that out. I need to be able to put a bicycle in the back. I'm not sure if I could do that with a Clarity or if I could, it might be more difficult than the Prime.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are clarity sales, better than prime?

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, I did not. I love the hatch back, and cargo space... just put 1,000 miles on my new 2021 prime

TGrracie likes this.
  12. High Mileage

High Mileage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Leonardo Declan. I had looked at the Honda Clarity at the SFO auto show back in 2017 and the Prius. At the time I had a 2010 Prius. I drove a 2017 regular Prius for a rental for a week in New Mexico. I fell in love with the dynamic radar cruise control and mileage. I started looking for a used Prime since I can charge at work. I found a used 2018 Prime Advanced with 12K miles on it. I'm now at 60K miles and still love it.

13. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    PP also has 5 seats.

dbstoo likes this.
  14. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    My last Prius (2002 gen 1) had seating for 5. There appears to have been an assumption that the 3 in the back were VERY close friends.
    Dan

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked my local Honda dealers' inventories. All had at least one Clarity PHEV for each trim on a lot. Not many of them in stock, but that is expected. Still better stocked than Hyundai Sonata PHV or Kia Niro PHV in my local Hyundai and Kia dealers.

#16 Salamander_King, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Trollbait likes this.
  17. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well if available its worth a test drive to see if you like it. Hondas are well engineered cars. The Clarity is a larger more comfortable car so its not really in the same class and more expensive. I think the car is good but I don't think it sold well mostly due to its styling which is subjective.

18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did and got the Clarity: 2018 Base. $33k MSRP, with discounts/credits at the time: $21k

At the time, I was cross shopping it, the Prime, gen2 volt (had a gen 1), and the new model Y (only $60+ k versions were being made at the time). Only a few top model volts had ACC so they were more expensive and smaller. The Prime was non-existent locally so no test drives nor discounts if ordered. We have a gen 4 and knew it has a smaller interior/hatch, and loud ride. No Tesla presence locally (service center was 3+ hours away) made going with them risky and very expensive. Test drives between the Clarity and Volt made the decision very easy for us as the Clarity was simply a better car overall (not just the PHEV tech).

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4365.jpeg

As one can see, it has a very large and usable trunk (note: pic includes a large mini-spare tire I got from ebay for trips), much quieter than a liftback like the prime, volt, etc., nice fit/finish, CarPlay/Auto, accurate "guessometer", HV+ mode, EV range!, good MPG in hybrid mode, and a wonderful smooth ride and driving experience. Super fast refills (only 7 gal). Reliability has been very good. Like the Prime and Volt, the Clarity can also use OpenPilot bringing any car with it up to nearly Tesla AutoPilot levels for about $1,000. My personal downsides: no volume button, UI needs work, push button shifter, no cross-traffic alert, short 300 mile gas range, and the usual sedan limitations. Some mention engine/generator noise at high power levels but it sounded "normal" to me as someone with extensive PHEV and HEV driving experience. My wife never ever mentioned it so that also speaks volumes to me.:)

So, there's a lot we loved about it but even so we decided to trade it very recently for a loaded Pacifica hybrid. Many BEV owners keep a second vehicle for various reasons but I wanted to consolidate two main vehicles into one so I went looking for versatility with a capital V! It is also OpenPilot capable. We've had two vans previously (MPV and Quest) when the kids were young so very familiar with the platform. What do we miss feature-wise from the Clarity? We both miss the brake hold feature (get real use to that) while my wife also misses the right side camera (I don't).

Currently, Clarity PHEV's are being shipped to California only. You can order one. Overall, there have been no significant changes so getting a gently used 18 or 19 is a good option too. Look for prices in upper teens to low 20's; tremendous value in those. Once I saw one in person, I began to love the looks of the aero-styling. I think the car would look awesome with wider rear tires stuffed under the skirts and lowering the front end about an inch=wicked stance!

TLDR; Clarity terrific car. GOOD highway car. If it rings your bell, go for it! No regerts! (sic) :)

#18 fotomoto, Dec 18, 2020
    Tideland Prius and bluespruce like this.
  19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice review. Do the rear seats fold down so a bicycle could be put in there?

20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, they are the typical 60/40 for pass thru. I never tried a bicycle but worst case you might have to remove the front wheel.

#20 fotomoto, Dec 18, 2020