1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you install your DICE? A little help, please, with my DICE install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ualdriver, May 29, 2008.

1. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi-

I'm going to attempt the physical install of the Dice device either today or withing the next few days, but I have never done an install like this before. I'm relatively handy, but have never done stereo-type installs with a car. I did a search and found the .pdf file with the VAIS install and read the DICE manual, but I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1) I DO NOT have to remove the radio, correct? It looks like I only have to remove the lower glove box and the plastic panel beside the MFD and then move a wire bundle?

2) Concerning the DICE module "car config switch 1&2" and the "iPod Config. Switch 1&2" next to it, referring to pages 10, 11, and 12 in the installation manual, how did you configure your switches? I'm assuming that the "car config switch" 1 should be off, and the switch 2 should be on, to comply with the MP3 chart on page 11?

I'm assuming that the "iPod Config Switch" that 1&2 should be both be in the "off" position since text is supported by the display, per page 12?

3) I read in one of the DICE threads that the 12V battery DOES NOT need to be disconnected during the DICE install? Is that true?

4) This Silverline DICE module came with 2 cables. After having read the threads I searched and looking at the VAIS .pdf install file, I'm assuming that the cable I need to be using is the "longer" one that has the black tipped, 12 pin connector? The other one, I assume, is for a non-Prius car?

The black 12 pin connector goes to the DICE module?
    The "hollow" white connector on the other end connects to nothing to serve as a "future" receptacle for satellite radio or something?
    The white, 14 pin connector (with 3 pins blocked out) connects to the back of the Prius radio?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figured I'd ask the experts on here first before I mess things up!

2. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's been a while but here goes:
    1) Correct, I know I didn't have to remove the radio. It was a PAIN to get my big hands behind it though.

2) I tried both and picked the one I personally like best. Remember to turn your car off, change the settings, then turn the car back on. If you don't turn the car off, no damage occurs but the DICE device doesn't change behavior.

3) I didn't disconnect it.

4) I'm afraid my memory is failing on that one.

In one of the threads on this site I found a PDF that went through the entire process.

3. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Vaprius-

Thanks for the info. If anyone else can fill in the blanks, feel free to post!

ualdriver

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One cable (the "Y" one) should go from the radio to the DICE and the other should go from the DICE to the iPod. You're right, the "hollow" connector is for your satellite radio (which normally plugs into the same spot the DICE does).

5. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks. But of the two installation cables the silverline came with (not counting the obvious one that connects to the IPOD), am I correct in that I want to use the "longer" one with the 12 pin, rectangular, black connector? The manual doesn't say and I don't know what the empty receptacle on the back of the Prius radio looks like.....

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, my DICE Siverline was an upgrade so I didn't get any cables.

You would use the one that looks like a "Y." Don't worry about the hollow white plug, unless you have Sirius or XM. It looks like the remaining white plug goes to the radio and the black plug goes to the DICE.

Also, to have the full benefit of the DICE Silverline, you should have it in SAT mode. Looking at the four switches, it should be Down, Down, Up, Up.

7. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, thanks for helping me out with that.

ualdriver

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You're welcome. If the black plug doesn't go into the DICE, then try the white plug. It should work the first way I said it, IIRC.

9. smittylube

smittylube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW- I first installed mine in sat mode- got used to it then bought the SCC1 and had to switch it- It took 20 minutes to install the sirius, I like the multi disc mode better than sat mode.
    It plays based on your ipod setup- folders, albums, artist etc. (either mode does)

I think you will like it-

Also- I ran the cable under the lower GB and wrapped the unit in foam and placed it to the right of the GB near the vent. I then slightly opened up the oval hole in the GB so I could slip the docking cable in. All is hidden and it works great.
    Steve

10. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Steve-

Thanks for the information, but I'm a little "DICE installation" challenged so hopefully you can help me a little bit with your post.

I don't know what "SCC1" means, but I think you're saying that when you set the "car configuration switches" on the DICE module you put them both to the "ON" position so that it would be in "Satellite" mode? Is that correct? I'm not sure what the "multi disc" mode is. I don't see that as a choice in the DICE installation guide.

And again, forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is a "GB?"

I'm hoping to do this install tonight, so I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    ualdriver

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The first 2 switches determine the mode. Both down makes it SAT, and one up/one down (I forget which) is another mode. Both up is the "Multi Disc" mode which make it act like a CD. Disc button #1 changes songs within a playlist, disc button #2 changes the playlist and so on. A nice thing in that mode is that you see the running time of the song in the playlist, which you don't in the SAT mode.

In my 2005, the old DICE had no SAT option, so it had to be Multi Disk. If I need to move to a song quickly, I could use the wheel on the iPod. The bad thing about the old DICE was that the Playlist name wasn't displayed. With the Silverline I can see the playlist name and can use the knob to speed around, but I can't use the wheel on the iPod in either the SAT or Multi Disk modes.

12. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks. It sounds like one has to just play with the settings and see what they like best. I still haven't done the install, but hope to do it soon.

13. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey aaf709 or anyone for that matter. I too have an older DICE unit that has never worked correctly from Day 1 and have swapped it out a several times.

I was told to contact DICE to get an RGA# to swap it out for the new Silverline but haven't received a response from ANYONE in like two months. I even submitted a "ticket" on the Dice Electronics website and have heard nada.

Anyone have any idea how to get a defective DICE replaced?