1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you know -- We're being recorded in our Prius....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 30, 2004.

1. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul113\";p=\"58179)</div>
    No doubt. The phrase "You don't know what you have 'till it's gone." comes to mind.

And once it happens, that genie won't be going back in the bottle.

2. Paul113

Paul113 New Member

And once it happens, that genie won't be going back in the bottle.
    [/quote]

Easier to put tooth paste back in the tube.... :roll:

3. Paul113

Paul113 New Member

Somebody needs to teach me how to put the quote from a previous post in that neat little scrollable box....took me 2 weeks just to post an avatar..I'm obviously not the brightest bulb on the string.... :roll:
    Peace,
    Paul

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Paul... just click the

"quote" button.

or

the "quick quote" button (those buttons are located on the post you wish to quote; right side top and bottom respectively)

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can also do it manually by inserting the
    command following the end of that text.

I deliberately disabled the BBCode in this post in order that the commands will appear as opposed to displaying text I typed between the quote commands in a quote box.

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    >DaveinOlyWA

>actually since the "black box" technology was funded heavily
    > by the insurance industry, the black box info is not yours.

Hmm. If my radio was heavily funded by the Sirius satellite people, does that mean they still own it?

>you simply license it and the insurance company retains all rights
    >to the technology including any information that maybe generated
    >by the technology. if you think this is illegal, you should take a
    >look at the computer software industry.

I have the title to my car, and I don't recall the part where it says I only own some certain bits of it. If some giant, distant, company wants to subsidize the technology that goes into my car they can. This does not however interfere with my ownership of my property.

>hdrygas

> Are insurance companies "authorities" ? I don't
    > really trust insurance companies any longer.

They are companies. They are perfectly indifferent to you as an individual. I don't care how many ads they run with cute lizards saying they want to like you. Their basic business model is to get more money out of you than you get out of them. They do not trust you in even the slightest tiny detail. Why would you trust them?

>DaveinOlyWA

>in the long run, the result of this technology will be much lower
    > insurance rates for everyone. and the only ones hurt by this are
    >people that drive erratically and are lucky enough to not be caught
    >or ticketed.

Er, Dave, you're not thinking like an insurance exec here. Profit is the central reason for their existance. Your rates will stay right where they are. They will use this to generate more revenue from "risky" drivers, not cut profits on regular Joes.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    kenmce,

how can you compare sirius with car insurance??

and yes the box will result in lower insurance rates for all. and i am thinking like an insurance exec.

heres how it works.

insurance claims go down 75%,

rates go down....25% (if we are lucky)

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

How would a box cause insurance claims to go down? The box doesn't prevent accidents, only attempts to prove who's to blame.

It may go down some, as some may drive a bit more careful once they have been stung. Certainly not by 75%, probably closer to 10%, maybe 20%. Rates go down: none, but increases may be deferred.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the box would properly assign blame, causing less insurance company payout, etc, etc....

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Again, how would that reduce payout? That would only be true if the person causing the accident had all the damage, and he had no collision. How often does that happen?

In any other case, insurance pays.
    Driver A at fault, Driver B not at fault.

Driver A car damaged. Driver B not. Insurance A pays driver A for damage if has collision.
    Driver A car not damaged, driver B damaged. Insurance A pays driver B.
    Driver A damaged, Driver B damaged. Insurance A pays driver B, and if A has collision, pays A.
    Driver A not damaged, driver B not damaged. No payout, box or no.

The box doesn't change this, only determines who is driver A, and who is B.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    an estimated 25% of insurance claims paid out are invalid but cannot be proved

12. cipher

cipher New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A person may have "nothing to hide" but can't you even imagine a case where your own information could be used against you? If McDonalds kept track of the temperature of their coffee, do you think that information would have helped them, or earned the clutsy lady who dumped it in her lap another couple of hundred thousand dollars? A guy cut right in front of you and slammed on his brakes, when the air bags deployed you didn't even apply the brakes! That could make it seem like you weren't paying attention. What if you and the "bad driver" have the same insurance company? Or the "bad drivers" lawyer is better than yours? Either way the lawyers will try to find a way to make you pay. The facts stored in the black box seem a lot like statistics to me, and statistics can be made to say whatever you want.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That’s one of the reasons I would like a video recorder in my car with cameras on all four sides. But of course I would like a Mission Impossible Tape Destroy button just in case . . . 5th Amendment . . . self-incrimination . . . bla, bla, bla.

14. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

This can also be used to track miles verses gallons.
    I have to search for the articile again but. . .
    Article basically said, because Hybrid vehicles are using less gas per mile than conventional cars, we are not paying our fair share of highway tax, imbeded in gas price, so some states are thinking of imposing a tax per mile on hybrid vehicles.
    This could be read out on the 'Black Box' as you get gas.

15. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I prefer to think we are paying our 'fair' share of hiway tax considering how light our cars are, but heavier vehicles aren't paying THEIR fair share, and besides we generally do not use our cars to make our profits, but for personal reasons, whereby some CORPORATIONS use the public roads for their profit, but don't pay for that privilege, and 'they' should pay a surcharge which should come out of shareholder's earnings/profits.

16. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't have a problem with the EDR, but your statement is laughable. Please show me where insurance rates have EVER come down? By the way I hope you're carrying Uninsured Motorist protection (which costs more than my liability coverage) as a greater and greater percentage of the driving population cannot afford insurance and are driving without. When they hit you...either you have covered yourself or you're out of luck.

17. XravenX

XravenX New Member

I for one welcome our new robot masters.

I mean, i don't think it is a bad thing to have a "black box". It will help to design safer cars & it will force people to drive better.

18. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(XravenX\";p=\"70161)</div>
    :lolup:

(Actually, isn't it "our new robot overlords"? Maybe there are two different groups of robot dictators...)

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It'll be like the Cylons: we'll be their slaves but they will stick a chip in our brain to stimulate our Pleasure senses so we'll think we're having nasty sex while they manipulate us.

IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Seriously, the onboard recorder is more to cover the car makers a** and also to assess crash performance in the real world. Much like how aviation FDR's and CVR's have led to improved safety.

Insurance rates going *down* ?? Yeah, right, that'll be a snowy day in h***.

20. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"actually since the "black box" technology was funded heavily by the insurance industry, the black box info is not yours.

you simply license it and the insurance company retains all rights to the technology including any information that maybe generated by the technology. if you think this is illegal, you should take a look at the computer software industry. "

I don't believe this. If Toyota or an insurance company can show me where I agreed to their "license agreement" with my signature, then maybe. But I never signed such a document. There is no contract other than the one wherein I bought the car, and I own it.

Nothing in my driver's license application said I was relinquishing rights to my car's data as a condition of using public roads.

The S/W license analogy is not valid. Microsoft owns Excel and Word, but they have no rights to the "data" I type into the program. They don't own my spreadsheets and documents.

My car. My data. My choice to disclose or not. I think my fifth amendment rights against self-incrimination apply here, too.