1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you order your first Prius Prime WITHOUT ever having seen one in person ?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by GKL, Mar 1, 2020.

1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I agree, I would normally not want to just simply sit and wait at a free charging station unless I was a really long way from home and wanted to charge, likely 99.9% of our driving would have us charging at home, usually the exception might be if we travel about 25 miles to the nearest big city and there is a charging station at the place we need to go to so our car is being charged while we are busy shopping or at a restaurant, ect.

I'm sure that roof rack comes in as handy as a car identifier as it does a roof rack :LOL:

2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I ordered my 2017 Prime without ever seeing one, and I still only have seen one other. (Coastal South Carolina) I knew it would be what I want but to tell the truth, my purchasing experience was less than stellar, I'm not so sure I'd order such a hard to get car in the future.

GKL likes this.
  3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I figured there likely were more people in regions that don't usually stock Primes that had ordered one without ever seeing one in person first.

When you said your: "purchasing experience was less than stellar" did you mean other than having to wait for delivery ?

How long was your wait for delivery ?

4. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I ordered my prime without ever seeing it. They didn’t have any available in Utah when I was shopping. I learned about them here on the forum. So I ended up ordering one out of California, and had it shipped here to Salt Lake. Still loving my 2017 prime.

GKL likes this.
  5. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Neat, I guess that shows the power of owner reviews and online research that would actually have us making such a major purchase for something we've never yet saw in person before buying and getting it delivered :LOL:

benagi likes this.
  6. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I went from a Gen3 to the Prime. I liked the Gen3 (but not all its recalls), and had enough confidence in the brand to order a Prime Advanced without a test drive.

What I did do was to sit in a Gen4 Prius at a somewhat local dealer and look over the fit and finish. I then found a Prime in Magnetic grey (same as I have now) and sat in that. Never test drove either. That first prime that I gawked at had a price adjustment of +$10,000 over list. Talk about stealerships!

GKL likes this.
  7. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow, $10,000 over list ? Wonder if they really wanted to sell any ? :LOL:

Since we had to order one we didn't get any huge discounts, but it still was under list price.

8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]

...and they sold it in under a week, at that price. :rolleyes:

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought mine used 360 days ago. Or was it 361 since it's leap year? :LOL:

Anyway, I think I still would have gotten one without a test drive. The where place I bought it specializes in used hybrids and BEVs, especially Prius. He also had a 2016 Prius 3 Touring, so I drove both to compare since the regular Prius had a significantly lower price tag. I thought the 2017 Prime was superior enough to justify the extra money and I have been completely satisfied with that decision.

Even though the Tampa area is pretty much inundated with Prii, Primes are exceedingly rare. It's been a couple months since I've seen one. That's due to the policies of the owners of the southeast Toyota distributorships. I don't think they like plug ins. Same with the Gulf states.

My only Prime complaints are pretty minor:
    • Driver's door arm rest is about four inches below my elbow. (Fixed with home made device.)
    • Ground clearance is about one inch too little.
    • MPG indicator only goes to 199.9 mpg. A profoundly stupid and unnecessary limit that thankfully got removed for the following years.
    • Slightly reduced cargo space and fewer places to stash small items. But it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would.
    • Need to be creative if you want a spare tire.
    Pluses compared to my 2013 PiP are more numerous and important:
    • Safety features.
    • Amazing economy.
    • Comfort now that I fixed that arm rest.
    • Handling.
    • Cabin noise.
    • I like the lightweight tonneau cover on the two lower trims better than the heavier roll up one on the Advanced and Limited.
    • Looks (maybe not that important, but still ...).
    • Available information on driving efficiency is almost overwhelming! (y)
    So, enjoy the new ride when if finally arrives. We'll all be looking forward to reading your impressions.

TGrracie and dig4dirt like this.
  10. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, other than the delivery, which took 4 months. They had all kinds of contract problems which they never said what the problem was, I just had to sign everything 3 times, going back to the dealer each time. My credit rating is great, so it wasn't a credit problem!

Love the car, but probably wont buy from them in the future, and any other Toyota place is further than I want to drive.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fixed your math. I thought electricians needed to be good in mathematics? :cautious::D:oops:

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow, that was determination ! …….makes you wonder how very many more Primes Toyota could sell IF they were in stock and easy to get everywhere ! :rolleyes::LOL:

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You having to wait 4 months was bad enough, but running back to the dealer 3 times ? makes you wonder if they were training a new person who wasn't getting things right the first time, or the second time :LOL:

We got copies of everything when we ordered so the price and terms are settled even though we won't actually make our full down payment and start making payments until after delivery, and we got a guarantee to keep the APR under 3% too, the only thing we paid towards the car so far is $1,000 as they won't place an order unless they have that to ensure how serious a buyer really is.

Now it's just the wait, they said 90-120 days but I'm hoping it comes a little sooner like some posters have written about happening, in the meantime I'm getting ready as far as educating myself on the Prime ahead of time and also getting an outdoor 110v outlet next to the driveway for easy recharging.

14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at MSRP of $28209, that PRIME had to be 2017 PRIME Plus which got marked up $10K. About the same time as you sat in that Magnetic Grey PRIME, I bought my fist PRIME 2017 PRIME Premium in Magnetic Grey. The sales price after rebate and discount (before tax cred) was $24399 (MRSP: $30133). That's crazy!

BTW, I just traded in my 2017 PRIME Premium in Magnetic Grey to a brand new PRIME LE in Magnetic Grey. The final payment I had to make after trade-in value of 2017 PRIME was less than $6K. After tax credit, I will end up with little over $1K payment, but considering I can forgo buying a new set of tires and maintenance cost for next 2-3 years, I am just about even. And I have what I wanted, no more 11.6" display and no SofTex seats, two features I hated most on my previous PRIME Premium. Oh, and I gained brand new car without a crack on the grill, fifth seat, visor extender, easy to reach seat heater switches.;););)

15. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Apparently!

You'll love the car I'm sure. It can go almost twice as far on a fillup/daily charge as my Gen 3 Prius. (I drive at least 75 miles a day and can only charge at home.)

GKL likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    March 7, 2019 wasn't 365 or 366 days ago. LOL! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And I didn't do math. It was just a quick estimate. Doing the math, March 7 last year was actually 361 days ago. ;)

benagi likes this.
  17. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, we live in a small town and as far as the main part of the town (not outlying rural areas) we can go from one side of the town to the other (east-west) in about 2 miles, north-south might be about roughly 6-7 miles, so if we consolidate our trips and go to several local stores in one trip instead of separate trips we could go grocery shopping and stop by a few other stores and get back home in about 5-6 miles.

I'm retired but my wife wanted to keep working part time but her commute is only about 2 miles (4 miles round trip) so except for times when we need to travel to the nearest large city (about 25 miles away) we should be able to do all of our local driving on electric only unless we have an occsional day where we might do a lot of extra local driving that would exceed the roughly 25 mile electric limit.

Bob Comer likes this.
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I keep telling the sales critters at my local dealership.

I'm curious what they gave you for it. And congrats on the new ride!!

GKL likes this.
  19. Chazman62

Chazman62 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I signed the sales contract W/O test driving my 2020 Prime.
    The salesman and I confirmed there was one in the dealer lot that I wanted (white XLE), and then we went straight to the negotiation and closed the deal. It was my first time ever buying a new car like that and my first new car purchase was 1980.
    Prime is an excellent value for the money and it's a pure engineering marvel imo.

jerrymildred and GKL like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I bought my 2017 Prius, I had seen but not driven one.
    I drove 150 miles to drive one and bought it. The paperwork and PDI were completed that same Sunday. The Gen 1 Prius owner who was my salesman spent 30 minutes reviewing the car features before we even test drove it.

jerrymildred and GKL like this.