1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you read the Owner's Manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scwolfe, May 1, 2005.

?
  1. Read it cover to cover.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only read sections.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Haven't read it at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rwlade

rwlade Dr. Bob

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dan,

Make it and I'm sure many of us would be interested in buying it!!!

2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I use manuals as reference source only. I usually play with it and perform "usability" testing. That way, I know exactly where the design flaws are. And if it looks like it is not very logical (stupid proof), then I look into the manual to see why it does not work.

In 3 days of ownership, I have read only the "program garage door" section. I played with it, but did not get the LED to blink (program mode). Then read the manual, it said to just press both the buttons (homelink and garage door opener). And it took about 10-15 seconds of holding the two buttons before the homelink learned the signal. (took a few try) :cussing: (could have said that in the manual). But can't complain, it was not too hard to use.

As for the Navi, not very good interface. I find the Magellan RoadMate one of the best interface instead of this Toyota version. Of course Magellan has more than 10 years of experience on the Hertz Neverlost system. But after fooling around, found what I needed without having to look into manual. Just canceling the destination took me 15 minutes to know where that function is hidden. The Magellan is just in your face with the button "CANCEL" (learn time 5 seconds). :roll:

And of course the AC fan speed (when AC is off)... :guns:

Otherwise, Toyota did a decent job to make it as "stupid proof" as possible.

Oh, my career is a Network Engineer performing Solution Testing. And my job is breaking Developers' code/design as much as I can. I just break it, don't need to fix it (well, I have to redesign it). :mrgreen:

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who read owners manuals and those who do not.

I love Japanese translations that haven't been done real well, I think it adds character to the book.

:)

4. PeteB

PeteB PeteB

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep - got the dealer to post the manual to me (dealer is 100 miles away) a week or so before I got my first Prius (Classic) and read it at least twice (some sections more) before I got the car.

Regards

PeteB - 02 Silver 'Classic' - 71k miles
    Luton UK
    Life mpg 51.41 ~ 42.81 ~ 5.49 ~ 18.20
    (UK ~ US gal ~ I/100Km ~ Km/I)

5. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

Glanced through this thread and found the reference to the Lexus on-line tutorial for the nav system. It is very good as far as it goes. It provides the information to get up and start but not all of the various small details of operation. I recommend it as a quick start, though.

As to the car manual. I didn't find John's rewrite. Go to http://john1701a.com
    He has written a logically organized and excellent rewrite of the manual. I just checked and he has a recent update. Try it out. I keep mine handy, not as a replacement of Toyota's but as a first look before resorting to their copy for extra detail. Just wish there was a comprehensive index.

I apologize if I missed a reference to John's manual in this thread.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I read my manual that I down loaded off the Toyota site, read it twice before I got the car. It was a long wait in those days (and now?). I think I need to read the Nav manual again.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I had one of the first consumer 2004's to hit the Left Coast (a week before I got mine), I spent that weekend w/ my camcorder taking videos of operation, etc. I still have the original DV-Stream, but the quality of a one-man show left something to be desired. I managed to make a few short clips of headlights in action, the 12v jump start point, and a couple of other "points of interest" from it though.

Now if I could only remember who was hosting the files .... :) This was way back when the Y! Groups were worth participating in (IMHO) and a bit over 2 years ago, mind you.

8. lwillis

lwillis New Member

I have read it and don't even have my Prius yet. I downloaded the manuals from a Toyota tech site and have bene through them all. I wanted to be totally knowledgeable of the car from the moment I get in the driver's seat. The sales people at the Toyota dealership refer to me as the "Hybrid Expert".