1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you survive this first winter mess?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eaglesight333, Dec 8, 2009.

1. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every year with the stock rims, I get ice build-up inside the wheel, causing the car to wobble at speeds higher than 50mph.
    I have to pull over and break it out.

This year, I've purchases "winter rims" - all black regular rims like on a Corolla, with plastic wheel covers. The covers where 10$ each, not as ugly.

Now I don't have to swap the tire from the wheel twice per year, which damages the tires. At 150$ per tire, 200$ for 4 wheels is worth it, in the long run.

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks guys for the commentary. I noticed it again enroute to work tonight for the 4PM shift.

I looked at the wheels in the garage today and knocked some of the ice and snow out but could not get to all of it.

It was better on the drive but at 50 MPH or above, bad shaking...so just slowed it down.

We are at 19 Degrees today so I am thinking when I get off work tonight to go to the Coin Car Wash location and just use warm water from the high pressure hoses into each wheel well to get it all out. Thoughts????

I don't think that should harm anything and then drive home from there.

If we could get above freezing I am sure it would melt but not at these temps..for the next few days...

I have the 17" tires/wheels and am hopeful this won't be an ongoing issue. But yesterday's almost 15 inch snowfall was more than the usual 1-2 inches.... and the cause.... ?????

3. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the second storm in a week hit san diego. just a light sprinkle on and off, all day. however, winter's ugly head reared itself again... as i was backing out of my parking space, there was water on the camera lens and the picture was all distrorted :)

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Used to live in LA County (Long Beach)...came back east for family reasons...miss the terrible NON Winters in LA! :(

5. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I nearly froze to death this morning...it got all the way down to 56 degrees....

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh you poor thing. I hope you have a hot drink and some warm jammies.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of them are excellent drivers. As for sponsors, I don't think many of them have sponsors unless they are in an actual race. The rest of them just don't mind spending money on tires. I was a dork and used to do the same thing all the time and then I came to my senses and sold those cars/trucks. lol

Attached Files:

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ECO Mode?? It really cuts back on the heater in ECO mode. I do agree, the heated seats heat up a lot quicker than the heater pumps out hot air.

Be careful what you wish for :p. I got stuck twice last week when we got 15-20cm of snow.

I agree. Even with winter tyres, I was surprised at the poor braking performance (it could be that the hard compact snow on the street was really slippery) but I slid right past a crosswalk to the point where I said, "screw it" and I just continued on my way cause there was no grip.

The chime is VSC. TRAC doesn't beep, it only flashes the light. VSC flashes and beeps.

Good advice with the practice. We definitely need a refresh each year.

However, I have a small question about the steering around the object. Why accelerate? Just brake and steer and VSC will take over if you understeer. If you accelerate, yes you put more traction to the rear wheels but you're also going to invoke TRAC and instead of trying to stop the car from sliding, the car's gonna stop the front wheels from spinning. As far as I remember from Young Drivers, you don't accelerate around the object. You brake in a straight line, let go of the brake and steer around the object (although I'm sure with ABS, you can continue braking).

I'll have to try braking and steering in an empty lot to see if it makes a difference if I continue braking or let go as I understeer towards the object.

9. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    are you going to implement this front grill blocking trick i've been reading about?

i've been thinking about it... maybe i'll go to home depot after i run on the beach this morning and pick up some of that 1/2" pipe insulation.

:)

10. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On Monday morning, here in the NorthEast, we got blasted with about 6-8" of powder. Car handled great on my commute to school with my WR-G2's and ESC. How come the traction control doesn't beep all the time? Sometimes the light will come on and I will feel my Prius throttle back on a tire. The only way I was able to get the beep to happen was when I went into an empty parking lot and tried to slide. Is there a difference? Does the beep mean that the steering wheel will be harder to turn? I know that when only the light came on, the steering wheel was not harder to turn.

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Tom,

The beep is for the VSC. The TRAC (traction control) only flashes.

12. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thx for clearing that up. What's the difference exactly? Is it that traction control doesn't allow you to spin out while VSC doesn't allow you to slide?

The traction control can really suck when I'm trying to get up my steep driveway, that's for sure.

13. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey now... I was freezing in 56 degree weather the other day. Had a shirt, sweatshirt and my coat on and still cold. I was sick too. :(

And now we're in the middle of our first big storm in L.A. Lots and lots of rain, coming down pretty darn hard at times. Should be done tomorrow morning though. I hope there aren't too many problems in the areas that had the bad fires.

I did get to take the car out on an errand this morning when it wasn't coming down and it drove very nice in the rain. Felt perfectly safe.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You bring up an interesting point. In other countries, the Prius is listed with VSC+ or S-VSC. The S stands for steering. This means VSC also plays with the steering such that it makes it easier to turn the correct way (and get out of a slide) and make it hard to turn the wrong way (Which would make the car slide even more). You're probably the first one to notice that. I didn't notice it when I did my tests.

1 person likes this.
  15. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in Green Bay, we got about 16", stayed home on the worst day, plow didn't clear the street. I'm amazed at the traction in ECO mode, no spinning just a slow take off. I've dubbed it the "goat".
    Tony Renier
    Green Bay, WI

16. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The second storm has passed San Diego, and it's now back to upper 60s to low 70s. Perfect high MPG weather! No grill blocking, no AC drain... but those hills are killing me.

The Prius is surviving quite well :)

17. Oppy

Oppy Smug Apprentice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My new-to-me Prius replaced a Subaru Forester, which was unstoppable in snow. Based on the comments above, I understand the Prius performs OK in the snow. I will miss the Forester for one reason only - its performance in snow.

18. madelinesonja

madelinesonja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been very happy with how my Prius has been handling on snowy/slushy/icy roads. I drove a Subaru Forester for five years before getting the Prius, so I was nervous about not having 4-wheel drive, but I was pleasantly surprised the first time I drove it in snow and felt very in control.

I'm a nanny for two little boys and the family leaves a Honda Odyssey for me to drive them around in, and it was fishtailing and anti-lock-braking all over the place on the same roads that I had no problem with, so lately I've just been putting the kids in my car!

Here's what it looked like this morning after the all-night ice storm, though:

[​IMG]

Completely encased in about 1/8 inch of ice. I spent about 10 minutes trying to scrape it off the driver's side window when someone came up and offered me some assistance -- he managed to have all the windows cleared off in about 25 minutes, but snapped my scraper off its handle in the process! :eek:

19. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hehehehe. My ribbon blue has looked exactly the same the last couple of days for some reason. Good thing my dealer gave me a scaper at the new owner's meeting a couple months ago. Its been getting lots of use.

20. Oppy

Oppy Smug Apprentice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Madelinesonja.
    I actually have those same two cars now; Odyssey and Prius. I know better than to take the Odyssey up to the snow. Now I feel a bit better about the Prius after your comments.

Merry Christmas!