1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel accident. (Solved)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sowndy, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Sowndy

Sowndy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I filled my gen 3 Prius with diesel and drove 1 kilometer before realising what I'd done. It started missing. I pumped out all the diesel and replaced it with hi octane petrol. Now when I try to start it I get a square sign in the display I cant read and wont go into drive or reverse. I think there is power in both batteries. Im sure the engine is undamaged as it only mised a few times before I discovered the problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    heltonsc and bisco like this.
  3. Sowndy

Sowndy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is easy to do especially if you own two other vehicles with diesel engines. Anyway, I will tell you what I did and hopefully save you a lot of money if you follow these steps carefully.

Get some large containers to pump the diesel into. Then pull the back seat out and remove the metal plate above the fuel tank. You will see it has pipes and wires going through it. Its held there with black sticky gunk. Remove the fuel line and extend it with some clear15mm neopreme tube feeding it into a good sized container. Next get a 12 volt battery with small alligator clips attached thereon. Unplug the plastic multi pin connector on the petrol tank to expose the connection pins and place the alligator clips on the pins that align with the red and black wires on the connector. The pump will then start to spin but is very quiet and hard to hear but the fuel should begin flowing into the container. Empty the tank untill you see bubles inside the hose but continue for several more minutes. Reconnect the fuel line to the pump and plug back in the connecto, before replacing the lid with the sticky black gung around the edge.

Next pour high octane petrol into the tank. I used 40 litres of 98 octane. You want good dilution. Next, make sure you have at least 12 volts on the small battery. If not use jumper leads to another battery. Next, making sure the ignition is off, plug an OB11 scanner into the relevant plug under the dash board and turn the ingition on. I got a 1309 code. Next, use the correct scanner setting to erase the code. Next, place your foot on the brake as you normally would to start your Prius and you should hear it spin up. If it doesn't, then you probably have less than 12 volts on the secondary battery which is what happened to me. I jumpered in a second 12volt battery and she spun up immediatly when I tried to start it. The engine wound over for about 10 seconds and stopped. I just erased the code again and tried to restart. I went through two 12 volt batteries doing this and about 20 attempts before the car shook violently and began firing for a few seconds and stalled again. What I was doing was blowing all of the diesel out of the fuel pipe, the filter, the injector pump and the fuel rail. I did this about five more times with lots of shaking, knocking and grey smoke before it would run continuosly. I then disconnected the battery and left if it idling for several more minutes. Next I drove around the car park about 200 meters each circuit about 5 times but she was still running rough at low revs. Then I drove out onto the road and within a couple of kilometers everything smoothed out and she ran perfectly smoothly with no smoke or miss firing from then on. The entire experience cost me only $22 for the scanner and $12 for the neopreme tube. I used the diesel in my Nissan van. I had previuosly read where people had spent up to $1000 on a mechanic to clean the fuel system out.

#3 Sowndy, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm curious why you went through multiple 12v batteries while trying to start the car. Attempting to start the engine depleted the 12v battery?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thought: when connecting alligator clips, or any sort of jumpering involving the 12 volt system, do the connections as far away from the gas as possible, and do the furthest connection (most likely to spark?) last. And just for giggles have a fire extinguisher handy.

DieselHammer likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where you want to be careful with a procedure like that is what happens to the traction battery. That's where the power to crank the engine comes from, and if that ever gets below about 20% state of charge, you ain't going nowhere until you get access to a high-voltage battery charger to get more juice in there. That could inconvenience you more than a little.

Considering that, I would probably have gone ahead and lifted the fuel rail and allowed the fuel pump to send good fuel all the way, before I began trying to start.

The joint in the fuel hose back under the cowl is both hard to reach and hard to open without a specialized nifty tool, but just lifting the fuel rail off the engine isn't too hard. I've seen it suggested to just use some wire to secure the injectors into the rail so they don't pop out. With power to the fuel pump, you can then stick a little hose over the snout of each injector in turn, and tickle the injector with a 9-volt battery to let the fuel squirt through.

A guy who rebuilds injectors gave me the 9-volt suggestion: it's enough to open the injector, but doesn't heat it up as much as 12 volts. In normal operation it gets 12 volts but only for milliseconds at a time, and 12 volts when manually powering it can be too much.

tvpierce and heltonsc like this.