1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel Electric Hybrid Concept from Peugeot

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by joe1347, Aug 19, 2009.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A little recent news on the Peugeot hybrid.

Interesting idea or concept with using the electric motor to provide a pseudo 4WD. As for the photo - it speaks for itself. Yes, Toyota - this is what hybrids should look like so that your hybrid car buyers can finally not be accused of driving dorkmobiles.

[​IMG]

2. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this is undoubtedly a good looking car... Although I like the look of my Prius very much too, perhaps because I am a kind of a dork :). The concept seems interesting, I am looking forward to see some more details.

On the other hand, I used to work as a car mechanic when I was a student and I have very grave experience with the reliability of the French cars, and especially Peugeots :eek:. Lot of my friends regretted buying one because of endless reliability issues, even with brand new cars - especially with crappy electronic systems. I would never trade my Toyota for a Peugeot - but this is just my humble opinion based on my personal experience :mod:, other people may have different point of view ;).

1 person likes this.
  4. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's definitely an amazing looking car. The electric motor out back type of all wheel drive is pretty cool and it is offered on that great big new Lexus hybrid SUV.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota already uses this 4WD system for the HyHi.

Tom

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    what are the sales numbers for this car? Hmmm, so not as many as the "popular" Prius? Too practical? Yes I'd love to drive it...but the market is NOT calling for yet another pie in the sky out of reach (translated...too expensive), 2-door sports hybrid. I'd say the next HUGE hybrid market has to be mini-van...not sexy sports cars for 1% of the population. Sales numbers tell the story.

7. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You saw this thread right? http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/67500-2011-sienna-hybrid-get-lithium-sanyo.html
    ...sorry, I should've looked for your name but I was in a hurry.

I know this is unrelated but I thought I'd post this in here too: Toyota Sienna Hybrid - Review | Hybrid Cars

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe Toyota can buy the exterior styling designs from them, and make this the exterior of a new MR2 hybrid. :)

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know, it does kinda look like a Karman Ghia. What's old is new again ? :eek:

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Dorky looking car, but I like it.

11. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...or an Audi TT :rolleyes:

12. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which makes perfect sense. (joke)

13. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. HyHi uses HSD on the front wheels and electric-only for the rear, as I recall. Peugeot's design is front wheels driven from the turbo-diesel engine only, rear wheels from the electric motor only. Transitions to and from electric-only driving change which wheels are driven!

This is a seriously inferior design brought about by Peugeot's unwillingness to license HSD.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a hybrid diesel that onlyt gets 95 Co2.... i think its back to the drawing board for Peugeot

15. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It also resembles the Mitsubishi iMIEV Sport Aire all-electric concept car.
    Of the two, the Peugeot is the smoother, more finished looking.

Unfortunately, the chances of seeing either on the road in the USofA is
    small. The Sport Aire being only a concept car and the Peugeot being a
    diesel. :(

16. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or Peugeot could licence the HSD or, even better, the whole Prius and give it a new bodystyling :). It would not be the first case; For example, Peugeot 107 is a rebraned Toyota Aygo with different bodywork. My mother has one; If you look under the hood, you can see Toyota signs all over the place. On the engine, the ECU... Everywhere. It's all Toyota.

Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Aygo are all the same car; The Citroen even looks exactly the same as the Peugeot, bar the logo on the hood of course :). All three cars are manufctured at the same plant and even share a common production line - the plant is located only some 4km (2.5 miles) from my parents' house :). The plant is a joint venture between those three companies, although its mostly Toyota; I had some working relationships with them when the plant was being built, and all the guys were Japanese or some local employees and contractors. I haven't seen a single French guy around.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah, I should have read the details. I assumed the issue was electric-only back wheels, which is the same on both. I never would have though of a stupid stunt like powering the front wheels only from the ICE. What a dumb idea.

Tom