1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel in 2010 Prius Gen 3 empty gas tank. Drove for five (5) miles. Repair recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eirens, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Except that I think there is a spring flapper door farther down the inlet that the fuel nozzle pushes open to accept the flow of gas. Wrong size nozzle won't get there.

eirens likes this.
  2. eirens

eirens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good idea on the sticker.

Thanks for the photo. That sure adds value to this discussion. It's a Gen 3 pic, right? (To match my Gen 3 2010 Prius.)

Perhaps I'll revisit the gas station she used and see if the diesel nozzle she used fits in my Prius. Carefully, of course. :) All we did last time was visit the station, drive in, and talk about it. Someone else was using that row of pumps at the time we visited, I think.

I'm not that interested anymore, and I don't fill up at that gas station myself, so it might not happen. But it's interesting.

3. eirens

eirens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good idea on the sticker.

Thanks for the photo. That sure adds value to this discussion. It's a Gen 3 pic, right? (To match my Gen 3 2010 Prius.)

Perhaps I'll revisit the gas station she used and see if the diesel nozzle she used fits in my Prius. Carefully, of course. :) All we did last time was visit the station, drive in, and talk about it. Someone else was using that row of pumps at the time we visited, I think.

I'm not that interested anymore, and I don't fill up at that gas station myself, so it might not happen. But it's interesting.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe stop beating the poor dead horse....

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Without doing that, it wouldn’t be priuschat.

ColoradoBoo, Mdv55 and wr69 like this.
  6. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    that pic was from my gen3 2010 prius, so it should be the same as all MY 2010-2015 or so. Someone else mentioned some sort of safety-flap deeper down in the inlet but I didn't see it with my pictures. I'll check that out again today, but for now, I'm sticking to my theory. :)

Regarding nozzle sizes, I think in the 15 or so years I had been filling up with diesel, I may have encountered a green handle pump with a regular (smaller) gasoline nozzle diameter - maybe a few times at some small, middle-of-nowhere station. but mostly I recall the larger diesel pump spouts. it's probably even more standardized today.

#46 wr69, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  7. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL :). And there are plenty of dead or dying horses (aka old prius') around here - that we are trying to beat back to life!

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I dated a flight attendant once. I lent her my Prius when she flew in to visit. She ran it out of gas. I made her pay to towing bill to bring it home to me. If she had even a lick of sense she would have had it turned to a gas station or brought gas to the car but instead she paid the towing bill And I got my car back. To this day I'm certain she still didn't learn what she did wrong

9. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad she's fixed!
    I once had a troop filled up a diesel Ford pickup truck with unleaded when were were deployed to Saudi Arabia. Thankfully, he didn't drive off but notified us and asked what to do. I called motor pool and the mechanic said just put a quart of 10W-40 oil in the gas tank and it'll be find....and he was right! We drove the tank about halfway down (which didn't take long) and then refilled with diesel fuel.

Mendel Leisk and ASRDogman like this.
  10. eirens

eirens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Update: The Prius is still running great. I consider this an excellent outcome for my diesel situation.

Kromis, jzchen, bisco and 1 other person like this.