1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel people just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OlsonBW, Apr 4, 2009.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So close, and yet so far ...

If you have an energy source to charge batteries, you also have the energy source to make hydrogen. This is why hydrogen should be categorized with batteries, not with fossil fuels.

Again, plenty of technical problems remain ...

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not so sure it would fit in the typical home. They say they need 1.5 meter diameter superconducting coils to get a practical positive gain p-B device. And the chamber the present ones are in are about twice as big as the hole in the magnet coils. So, that means a vacumm chamber with a sperical shape and ID of about 3 to 4 meters. Now the bigger you make a vacumn chamber the thicker the walls need to be. So, were probably up to 4 meters for sure for the OD. Now add in all the high voltage power supplies and liquid nitrogen tank , and liquid helium generating equipment, and output coversion equipment and your probably looking at a building on a 1 acre site, about 3 stories high at a minimum...

Reminds me a little bit about that spy TV series ALIAS, though.

BTW, one of these devices holds the record for Fusor type devices at greater than 1 Giga Fusions per second. And it was just an experimental sized device, not intended to have positive gain, just to work out the physics of process.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Eye opening. I've spent the entire evening catching up on this stuff, including the 90 minute Google presentation. Any idea what the latest developments or status is (before I start searching for the paper mentioned).

4. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Why waste time and literally energy making hydrogen when you can just use the electricity? I just don't get the benefit.

5. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Believe me that was the case since the birth of prius. Also keep in mind that european press (I live in a european country) was always in favor of european automakers, guess why...

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Storage density, for achieving better vehicle range. Pure hydrogen ought to have a better theoretical limit than batteries, and could either be burned in an ICE, or pushed through a fuel cell to drive a pure electric plant.

Neither batteries nor hydrogen are currently anywhere near their theoretical limits, and I will not presume that either one will always be ahead of the other in practical applications.

Hydrogen is a clean storage method, but not an energy source. Fossil fuels are carbon-emitting energy sources. The two absolutely do not belong in the same category.

7. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No I don't think anyone hacked my account. I was refering to the relative cleanness of batteries vs hydrogen. With all batteries, there is the mining, refining, smelting and recyling and all that goes with it. When you compare that to hydrdrogen being produced from solar or wind power, batteries are much worse than hydrogen or other potentially much cleaner systems.

Thanks for thinking of me though.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder what is involved in the extraction, refining, processing, manufacture, and recycling of the rare earth metals needed in fuel cells.

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Solar power is the best! But: How do you, efficiently, store and then discharge all of the energy you can grab? If we could synthetically mirror the process of photosynthesis, we'd be far along the way. If this is what is going on now at MIT, then great!

Still, cobalt, particularly when heated and exposed to phosphorous or similar substances, can be not only toxic, but also possibly carcinagenic.

It is worth the effort and the look. And it is a huge improvement over the wide-scale reliance on fossil fuels.

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The MIT effort was motivated by photosynthesis being so efficient. It takes water and splits it without the losses of pure electrolysis. The chemical toxic aspect is quite correct, not to mention that Hydrogen is quite explosive/flammable if handled improperly. However, if done right, should not be an issue. However, "done right" is easy to say and much harder to ensure day in and day out.

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nobody is surer about being able to have it "done right" than the person who engages the engineers and scientists to make the design as safe as possible. Unfortunately, very few of these decision-makers truly understand what "as safe as possible" actually may mean.

I remember when I used to wash my hands in carbon tetrachloride. It did a marvelous job of removing all sorts of other chemicals. At the time, we thought we were "as safe as possible" by using such chemicals only under hoods. Little did we know of the carcigenicity of CCl4 through even dermal absorption.

I can't even tell you other things I've witnessed, because I want to think they've been fixed.

12. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

It's not about storage density. It's about not having to go somewhere to get more fuel. Create it at your own house with solar panels instead.

Guess who is going to be producing and supplying hydrogen. It won't likely be at home which means, ultimate the same companies that currently supply gas and diesel.

I'm sick and tired of them making billions of dollars. I'm not against people making money but why pay them when we can make our own fuel?

13. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Currently ... batteries. We need to get that up and working for as many people as possible while at the same time working on newer technology (associated/link to solar) like photosynthesis.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You don't already know?

[​IMG]

Coors cans, banana peels, and pie crust not included.

15. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OlsonBW, please don't paint us all with one brush. I am a diesel person (I assume I am anyway since I own one and consider it better than a conventional gas vehicle). I look forward to the day when I can power my car with solar or wind power. To say that I, and others like me, don't get it is illogical. It is true that some people don't get it. But other people who drive all sorts of cars would be happy to move away from fossil fuel powered vehicles. Diesel people aren't any different.

16. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

I'm pointing out, and I think you understand this, that this shouldn't be about gas vs diesel vs hydrogen vs hybrids.

The key for me is how to get away from being fed fuel to making our own fuel in a safe and easy way. The only realistic option we have is electricity that we can create with solar power on our homes being stored in batteries. We use this to power as much of our homes as possible but also plugging in our cars when we get home.

Doing this means no more stopping to buy fuel (of any kind) at fuel stations.

It's not that I'm a big environmental nut. Yes I want clean air and food that isn't pumped full of hormones, etc. But the big thing is I see no reason to keep giving Exxon and the other fuel companies billions of dollars in profits when I can make the fuel at home.

Yes I understand that solar panels and batteries and creating purely plug in electric vehicles costs money. But do you think that gas/diesel, and the forever 5 years ago 'realistic' hydrogen cars aren't going to be more and more and more and more and more expensive to drive?

I'm trying to get off of that no so Merry-go-round trap.

So for anyone who says diesel is better than hybrids is missing the point. That's not what Prius owners care about. For us it is trying to get to fully electric, non-hybrid cars as soon as possible. Everything else is moot.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OlsonBW, do you really think you speak for all Prius owners ??
    A quick look at a graph that shows the correlation between pump prices and Prius market demand *should* clear up that delusion.

Personally, oil company profits bother me a lot less than climate change and the economic stupidity of exporting America's wealth to Russia and OPEC.

18. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I think we have all different kinds that chose the Prius for various reasons.

Some think they're saving the planet.
    Some think they're sticking it to the big oil companies.
    Some like technology.
    Some are making a political statement.

Personally, I think that judging solely on how far one can travel on a gallon of fuel, a vehicle like a Jetta TDI and a Prius are similar. Anything that gets ~50mpg to me will be like the Prius.

I don't buy into AGW, I think we just happen to be in a natural cycle that will correct itself.

I don't mind that oil companies are making huge profits. Their sales are HUGE. Even with a 1% margin, they'd still make astronomical profits. As is, they have a margin of about 10%, or about what Starbucks makes on a cup of joe. Angry about profits? Boycott Starbucks!

I too want solar panels on my roof, battery storage for power and a car I can plug in. I think it will happen, it's just a matter of time until the technologies are affordable. IMO, energy independence starts at home. The more we as individuals 'unplug', the better our country will be. I'd much rather buy solar and battery equipment made in the USA and installed by Americans than send money away for gas.

For now, using as little gas as possible satisfies me. I could have done it with a diesel.

19. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
  20. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That, IMHO, would be like you saying you're athiest, and me pointing you to a Christian web site.

I've seen analysis from proponents and opponents of AGW and believe we are in a natural cycle. Hell, just a couple decades ago, the environmental cause was 'global cooling'. I shit you not.

I guess that's why the fad term is not 'global warming' now, it's 'climate change'.

I don't buy it. Well, the man-made part, that is. Climates change over time, and ain't nothing we can do about it.

This is a topic for a different thread.