1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel people just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OlsonBW, Apr 4, 2009.

1. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    You have got to shitting me. Science-based observations are bad? Yes, this is for another thread. You don't have to buy anything. People much smarter than you or I are doing the analysis and there's the proof. Good luck. Because of the data, we all need to curb our consumption and carbon footprints.

2. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    How about the data that contradicts the data shown on that site? Where is that data?

There are plenty of scientists that support AGW, and there are plenty who don't. Using a site that shows the work of scientists who support AGW doesn't make it correct.

Data is a funny thing. I can show that drownings of children increase in the summer months. I can also show that ice cream sales increase in summer months. I could then make the link that ice cream sales cause drownings. Data can be interpreted like that. One can take temperature data over the last decade and then compare it to industrialization and draw parallels. But are they really cause and affect?

I think we as a civilization are not smart enough to have it all figured out when it comes to this planet's climate, how it functions, and what influences it the most. If we did know all that stuff, wouldn't weather forecasts be 100% correct?

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    another thread is necessary here. Let's continue with diesel talk. suffice it to say...nope, I'm not even going to say it.

What's the new emissions ratings for these new diesel hybrids? Are they still closing the gap with the new Prius?

I'd say if people want what they want, the rest of us will like what we like and convert others to lower emissions...eventually. I mean c'mon...'clean' diesel is as good as 'clean' coal. Whomever coined these phrases did very well in marketing class.

This Is Reality

Cheers

4. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Nobody on the planet speaks for ALL of anybody. Of course not. All you have to do is have one dissenting idea and you suddenly don't have ALL.

Further more. Where did I ever say that I speak for any percentage of Prius owners. I never did.

Instead I clearly spoke for myself saying that diesel people don't get it. Which diesel people? Based on my comments it would be those diesel people that try to say we should be driving diesel cars instead of Prii.

Please read my comments before making assumptions about what I am saying.

5. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

This thread isn't about who is right and who is wrong. It's about not wanting to have to buy fuel from any company anymore. The only way to do that is to individually produce our own fuel.

As far as I know, MOST people in the world do not have fossil fuels (oil, coal, water) under their house. We do all have the sun. Even in the Seattle area where I live we have the sun. The only people that don't are those that live too far north or south and that is only during their winter months.

Even on cloudy days people in Seattle, where I live, still get 60% of the solar radiation that is used to create electricity with solar panels. And these are getting less expensive and more efficient each year.

THAT's what I'm talking about. Global warming/cooling, or just staying the same. It doesn't matter. Which fuel is better? It doesn't matter.

Would the world be better off without having to fight wars over oil and later coal? We have enough to worry about with religion and in the future, drinkable water.

6. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

My point about hydrogen is that you still have to go some where and buy it or use electricity or something else to make it yourself.

I don't want to keep going to fuel (gas) companies to buy fuel. And it isn't realistic to make hydrogen at home that costs less than electricity.

Theoretically, using nano technology, refueling will be so fast and easy that you could even park under a street light at night and recharge your car while watching a movie. Can you see why I don't like the word, "theoretically"?

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At one point you made a scrambled complaint about the mass of liquid fuel:

My point was that batteries to store electricity have mass too, normally more mass than hydrogen for the same energy. If storage mass is a problem, then one could use the electricity you proposed making at home, to make hydrogen, also at home. Though hydrogen storage currently has density and safety problems too. Both technologies (batteries and hydrogen storage) have enormous room for improvement, and I won't presume to know will improve the fastest.

'Nano' won't do jack for getting a fast charge from a street light, not even "theoretically". The power density from a common street light will only support a very slow charge rate. Toyota's 8 year battery warranty will likely expire before the first BEV fill is finished. Do you remember Newton's laws on conservation of energy?

8. rch10007

rch10007 Dotted Quad Ranger

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I can imagine a day when we don't have a need for personal fuel consumption.

I've read various philosophies based on differing values, so I thought I'd add one more. How about the day when global commercialization and public economic ideologies don't dictate the need for personal vehicles? I think until you deal with the public's psychology and people are happy where they are geographically, emotionally, and spiritually in life, an energy plan in any sense is foolish.

It's not that diesel people don't get it, it's those that will never give up their "rights" for the betterment of a global society where we share a common transportation system.

If you had the pleasure to wake in the morning and go to the corner and catch a bus to a hub where you may make other connections along your route to work, you'd get to talk to your neighbors. Then, perhaps our communities will actually become just that, a community. I know I'll never see it. People are too selfish to make changes for others.

9. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    hydrogen is 4 times as energy "hoggish" than battery technology. The math doesn't compute to waste electricity in the making of H2, then use it to power a car. simplify and put that electricity to use right away in a battery. not to mention the storage of such small molecules. Check out darrell's site: Darell's Electric Vehicle Page he has lots of tech papers and studies that prove this out.

1 person likes this.
  10. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

THE (capitalized on purpose) most important thing here is not about electric vs hydrogen or anything else. It's about now having to go to someone else to get your fuel, whatever that fuel is. Which means making it yourself.

Therefore hydrogen is not the best fuel.

11. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Based on your picture you like to ride a motorcycle. I do too. So the question is, based on what you said. When are you going to be happy enough where you are and not ride anymore? I don't mean when you aren't physically able. I'm guessing probably never.

It's in our DNA to want to explore. Even those people who are too afraid to leave their house with to get outside and see things they haven't seen before. I know quite a few people that don't travel much but love watching shows about it.

We'll never, as a human race, exceptions will always be there, for us to want to explore. So we will always need some form of transportation to get around. Even if it ends up being a transporter like on StarTrek.

12. rch10007

rch10007 Dotted Quad Ranger

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    People are slowly trained over the years to accept certain social norms whether they're happy about it or even aware of the manipulation taking place.

A motorcycle is a more efficient vehicle than any hybrid, hydrogen, or other power type. Before anyone disagrees...just think of the physical space required in our world due to our need to own at least one vehicle, but usually more.

Beam me up Scotty!

FYI - I'm making moves to never need the grid or a fuel source other than the remains of the food I grow, that I don't consume. It may take me 20 years, but I'm working on it. Buying a Prius now is a step closer to that goal.

13. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

rch10007 - I ride a Honda GoldWing (2000) which has more parts than a Honda Accord and gets worse gas mileage than my Prius. It's more fun though.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Meh. That's not a motorcycle. That's a two wheeled car. ;)

Tom

15. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    '08 Goldwing here!

16. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Well, it does have cruise control, an electric backup gear, CB, intercom system, AM/FM Autocassette, and saddle bags and trunk combined hold more than most compact car trunks ... mine has "only" a 1.5 liter engine. From 2001 to 2009 they have a 1.8 liter engine. The 2010 model is expected to have a 2.0 liter engine.

I also have my iPod and cell phone connect to my GoldWing. The latter only for emergencies if someone needs to get ahold of me. Short conversations only and I tell them my first priority is paying attention to where I'm going and traffic.