1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel Prius

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by cmth, Sep 13, 2013.

1. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not necessarily advocating or even suggesting that diesel in Prius makes sense. I'm just disputing that modern diesels are the "environmental bogeymen" some commenters are making them out to be, for the reasons outline in my previous posts.

By the way, the HEI press release summarizing the full report of ACES Phase 2 is available at...

http://www.healtheffects.org/Pubs/ACES-Phase2-Final-Press-Release-120413.pdf

2. Johnprius

Johnprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree! I don't like the extra noise!

3. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)As a diesel owner since 1999, I have no complaints other than the high cost of diesel fuel.

wxman likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the pickup trucks are still noisy because that is what the owners want, not because diesel needs to be that noisy anymore. The diesel car buyers have grown out of any such need.

5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I don't know the answer but one answer might be that diesel is dirty, no matter how efficient. The Europeans have really got it wrong promoting diesel there. Even they are starting to realise it. I think Toyota thought they might come to their senses sooner.:(

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We already have here and diesel fuel is now more expensive. The problem is that the German and French car lobby is very powerful and both their car makers like diesel.

7. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Down side of EU.:rolleyes:

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol, as you well know, it's a complicated issue living next door to many different countries and cultures, all with differing ideals and wants. It's different being in your own continent with your nearest neighbours (with the same language and culture) only a thousand miles away.

The emission laws in Europe are lower than the US. Why? Because to tighten them up would hurt the diesel lobby.

Vehicle emissions in Australia match the EU's pretty much, but with such a massive land area and comparatively few inhabitants, your cities and surrounding areas won't stink like ours. You can smell London about 50 miles before you get to it!

9. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That's not universally true. Euro5b & Euro6 standards for diesels for both CO and PM are more strict than Tier 2/Bin2/LEV II SULEV emission standards in the U.S.

In the case of particle emissions, Euro5b/Euro6 not only imposes a more strict emission standard for PM mass than the U.S. (0.045 g/km = ~0.007 g/mile; Tier 2 = 0.01 g/mile), but also very strict emissions standard on diesels for particle number (PN - 6X10^11 particles/km), which is a much higher bar than the PM mass limits. EU is proposing to implement a relaxed PN standard for GDI for Euro6 through 2017 (6X10^12 particles/km) apparently because GDI is fundamentally incapable of hitting the diesel PN limit at this time.

Why doesn't Europe just impose the same PN limit for Euro6 GDI vehicles that it does/has been for diesels (since Euro5b was implemented), even if it means filters (GPF)? Caving to the gasser lobby?

10. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. just forget about NOx ;)
    Any vehicle fitted with DPF will read 0 g/km PM under EURO cycle.
    CO emissions of diesel and petrol engine in practice are about the same, the EURO limits for petrol are higher than for diesel, but so what.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might like this;

E-PRTR

GasperG likes this.
  12. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last I knew, much of Europe was VOC-limited with respect to ozone (photochemical smog) formation (The weekend effect). As such, reducing ambient NOx concentrations either is ineffective or may actually increase ground-level ozone formation ("weekend effect"). In these conditions, VOC emissions are what controls ozone formation, and are what is needed to be reduced.

Does Europe have an air quality issue with NO2?

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It would appear from that maps that we do :)

14. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would question that article
    - It's from 2003
    - It's from Europe (diesel lobby)
    - how long does it take for the smog to escape from the city
    - experimenting with closing city traffic has minimal effect

Couldn't ozone problem come many days from the actual forming of emissions? We had a major ozone problem this summer in gulf of Trieste, even higher altitudes in Alps had problems with ozone. If you look at the Grumpy link you will find that that region has many pollutants, from transport, shipping, industry ...

Passenger cars may be only part of the problem, but I think we can't deny it.

15. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO2 is somewhat heavier than air, and a conversion would need to be done to convert from micrograms/m3 to ppb, but it appears that EU's one-hour ambient air quality standard for NO2 (NOx = NO + NO2) is higher than the U.S. NAAQS but the same or lower for the annual standard.

All areas in the U.S. have been in attainment with the NO2 NAAQS since 1998. Are any area in the EU in non-attainment with NO2? If not, the EU needs to be cautious about reducing ambient NOx relatively more than VOC to control ground-level ozone.

17. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good to see this thread still alive and thanks to all those who contributed.

Broadly speaking, I think there two categories of cosumers who buy cleaner and efficient cars these days:

1. Those who really want to reduce car emissions and drive a very efficient car
    2. Those who want an efficient car that also happens to be cleaner than a conventional car

It is clear from the replies so far that a Diesel Prius will not appeal to category 1. But my original argument was really aimed at those in category 2 and I can tell you there is a significant market there including the clean-diesel bunch. Okay some of them will want cars are better than a Prius at handling, etc. but there is still a group of people out there could consider a Diesel Prius if it was priced right. Those wise folk at Toyota know very well that the future is not going to be black and white and this is why they have many solutions out there already. I am just making the point that they could have still benefited from a Diesel Prius being there.

18. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And diesel hybrids ARE available in the UK but are not selling. Why? Because a diesel engine costs more than a petrol one. A hybrid system costs more than a manual gearbox. Add the more expensive diesel engine to the more expensive hybrid system and you have a much more expensive car overall.

Peugeot offer a number of diesel hybrids that are actually pretty good but have you seen the price? They start at £24,800 upto £30,700. Volvo offer a plug in diesel hybrid and it costs £45,000!!?!?! You could buy two base Prius or three base Yaris hybrids for that.

So you made a point that diesel hybrids are wanted but they're already there, for sale, now, but aren't selling well!

Why would Toyota want to spend much more research and development costs for a car that would only sell in small numbers (see Peugeot sales) and only in Europe?

You might also know that Toyota are to stop making diesel engines and get BMW to make them under licence. Why? Because it's not viable for Toyota to design and produce them for the few hundred thousand sold only in Europe.

19. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A rough estimate is that Toyota hybrid drive train costs roughly 5,000 EUR extra on top of a normal VVT-i engine that is based on. If Toyota would mate the small 1.4 D-4D into hybrid that would be another €2k, at least.

What would you get for that €2k extra:
    - My estimate is 4.3 l/100 km compared to 5 l/100 km in petrol hybrid (more than 1 €/100 km saving in my country, but it would be actually more expensive than petrol hybrid in California)
    - 113 g/km diesel vs 116 g/km petrol CO2 emission
    - more torque means less engine revving under a medium load (40kW just over 2,000 rpm)
    - more engine noise and less power under full load.

For fuel economy you can compare Peugeot 508 diesel hybrid (200HP) with Lexus IS300h (223 HP) or Camry Hybrid, or Accord Hybrid ..:
    Übersicht: Peugeot - 508 - Spritmonitor.de
    Übersicht: Lexus - IS300h - Spritmonitor.de

Here the difference is 1 l/100 km, so there is no way that the difference would be more than 4.3 vs 5 in a smaller engine. The energy and CO2 saving is only around 5% compared to petrol hybrid, some European countrys still have diesel cheaper than petrol, but the trend is obvious and those differences will not last for long.

So who will pay 2,000 extra for diesel hybrid, that have the same fuel costs than petrol hybrid and has more complicated engine more prone to expensive repairs? Only some Europeans (cheaper diesel) are willing to do that ;) who will develop a whole new drive train only for Europeans and 1 person in US?

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  20. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Several reasons:
    1. Too expensive (as you rightly point out)
    2. Neither Peugeot nor Volvo (at least in my book) have proven themselves to be capable of making reliable cars - not even ordinary cars let alone hybrids
    3. Generation 1 of any car will not sell in high numbers especially those who are new to a certain market (hybrids)

Another reason for using BMW Diesel tech is because Toyota fell behind in R&D in that area and there came a point when they realised it was going to take way too long to catch up with in-house R&D.

Actually the US is only now starting to open itself to clean diesels. Yes a 2.0L TDI will not be as clean as a Hybrid but it would definitely be way better than a 3.6L V6 and there are loads of those still in the US and people are begining to realise the there are 2.2L TDIs with a performance comparable to much bigger petrol engines and if ever one has to compromise, that could be a worthy compromise.

At the end of the day, I don't want to be on the side of the clean-diesel folk, I don't like the sort of hybrid bashing that goes on here in the UK and Europe with the likes of VW, Audi and the lot taking every opportunity to critisize Hybrids. I am a Prius G3 owner myself and I love my car and my next car is either going to be a Prius Gen 4 or Lexus NX 300h.

However, one thing that I cannot quite fathom though is that we have all this wonderful Hybrid tech, all brand new concepts etc. and then one fine day we see a clean diesel car of similar size, similar features and similar performance selling at half the price. Toyota is claiming great success creating an engine with thermal efficiency greater than 40% but it wont take long for someone to do a Diesel engine with 50% efficiency.

So yes one the one hand, the numbers don't seem to add up for a diesel hybrid but on the other hand, clean diesels are getting cheaper and better - something doesn't quite add up.