1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel vs. hybrid: From Detroit to D.C., and back

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jun 12, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Diessel vs. hybrid: From Detroit to D.C., and back

Gasoline prices that have been averaging more than $2 a gallon have boosted interest in fuel-efficient gas-electric hybrid and diesel-powered vehicles. To see if the technologies live up to their fuel-economy promise, USA TODAY reporter David Kiley drove a Volkswagen Jetta TDI diesel from suburban Detroit to suburban Washington, D.C., last month. He drove a Toyota Prius hybrid back from Washington to Detroit.

The most interesting part of the article to me was this:
    The company (Toyota) also says the computer is nearly 100% accurate. But how much gas its flexible bladder takes at the pump varies from less than 10 gallons to the full 11.9 gallons. Toyota said I probably began the trip with less gas than I thought. Toyota spokesman Mike Michels says the gas-tank variability is confusing to owners, and the company is working on a fix.

Possibly reflecting frustration with the problem, Prius owners' biggest complaint was "fuel gauge not working" in the J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Initial Quality Study, which measures problems the first 90 days of ownership.

Jeff

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I've a friend with a Diesel Golf; and he does get pretty good gas mileage. (I need to get an update -- he wasn't initially getting the low-40s MPG as advertised, but that may have changed.)

But, mileage wasn't the primary reason I wanted a Prius. Geek technology-love of the engine, the clean-air emissions, and gadget lust were higher up on the list.

3. woemcats

woemcats New Member

To get in the 40's in a TDI, though, you have to drive a stick (which I can't) and on the highway a lot. Many articles making these kinds of comparisons don't always point out that the Prius isn't WASTING gas as much (like at stop lights, ect) and it isn't a polluting diesel (if you care about that sort of thing). Though this USA Today article is actually very even-handed in that regard, and I'm inclined to believe the computer over his calculations re: the bladder. He paid more for gas because he had to fill up an extra time because he stated with less..

Before I wound up with a Prius (from a no-waiting list dealer), I was going to get a TDI Beetle, but I had already waited more than a month for an automatic with no relief in sight. I'm glad it worked out the way it did, anyway, because I've heard there are major maintenance problems wwith the VW TDIs (like replacing the drive belt every 40K).

4. siai

siai Junior Member

The Jetta and the Prius are both excellent fuel economy vehicles. The VW does have it's share of maintenance problems, but many of the ones that affected the earlier model years of the Jetta IV (came out in 99.5) have been fixed. The timing belt replacement interval which was originally 50K on the auto and 60K on the manual trans has been changed by an updated belt. The new interval is 80K and 100K miles. Similar to a gasoline vehicle with a timing belt. VW suffers from a very poor dealer network in my opinion and the car doesn't have the same basic engineering quality as a Toyota. The best of the lot should be a 2003 TDI which has most problems corrected and does not have the new PD (common rail) engine. Fuel economy is a little lower on the new model. So, thumbs up for either vehicle, choice is yours depending on driving style and you feelings on vehicle emissions. :)

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    diesel vs hybrid in my family

The article is right on as far as it goes. My partner drives a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon, automatic. His mileage is about what I get overall. I get slightly better mileage in town and he on the freeway. Were he driving a stickshift, I think he would better me in both city and highway.
    The article goes on to mention that with current diesel fuel, his TDI emits 6 times as much pollution as my Prius, but that assumes he would be running on conventional petro diesel. When you look at the numbers for diesels running on bio-diesel, which he does, the whole picture changes, and the diesel becomes a very serious contender for emission/mileage efficiency. There is no grimy soot, odor, or toxicity with bio-diesel, and the biggest thing is that we don't need to go to war to get it. It is completely bio-degradable and non-toxic and contributes nothing to greenhouse gases. Given that TDI's are (relatively) easier to get than Prii, I can see many would be Prius owners moving to the TDI. My own thought is that we should welcome anyone who moves from a less efficient to a more efficient auto whether it's a TDI or a Prius or a Honda.
    If I didn't aleady have a Prius, I would seriously consider a VW diesel, either a Golf or Jetta; Passat is out of my price range. My concern is the Consumer Report listings which show VW way down in quality control and reliability, although my partner's Jetta is virtually trouble free after 59k. The Prius is, hands down, the more techno-cool car, but the Jetta is agile, fun to drive and good looking. Very tight back seat, though.
    A final note: there have been a few posts from people whose Prii have been totalled in accidents. Should that happen to me, I would probably end up with a VW rather than wait a year for a replacement car.
    Bob
    p.s. Now, a hybrid diesel running on bio fuel would be a deal.