1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesels more popular than hybrids? (. . . except for . . .)

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by bwilson4web, Jan 3, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I enjoy listening to the AutoLine daily podcast but every now and then, they lay a real Goose Egg:
    Source: AD #1283 – Diesels More Popular Than Hybrids?, Krafcik Out at Hyundai, Fiat Buys Chrysler – Autoline Daily

They post a link to the VW Group press release which says nothing about hybrids, just the usual comparison of diesels to gas cars. This is just another example of auto press not being able to wrap their heads around hybrids.

Bob Wilson

ps. So this is what I posted in their comments section:

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Skittles sell better than any coated milk chocolate candy except M&Ms, therefore coated milk chocolate candies are a failure.

See, it works for anything.

jgilliam1955 and bwilson4web like this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Excluding Toyota hybrids is quite amusing. Talking about denial. Geez!

Using their same criteria, by adding Toyota & Lexus like they did for VW & Audi, with counts through November...

Prius - 135,291
    Prius C - 39,169
    Camry - 41,722
    Prius V - 32,879
    Avalon - 14,988
    ES - 14,856
    CT200h - 13,284
    Prius PHV - 11,169
    RX400h/450h - 10,154
    Highlander - 4,798
    GS450h - 478
    LS600h - 109
    HS250h - 5

...the total comes to 318,902.

More popular.

No.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When will the auto press get into hybrids? Or are they ignoring hybrids?

How sad.

DBCassidy

5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The auto press doesn't ignore advertisement money...
    Here in Portugal, there are many examples of nursering german cars, because it pays in ads.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you might post this or something like it over in the Autoline Daily web site. Or with full attribution, I'll post it for you . . . after waiting a couple of hours to 'cherry pick' the best. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    News Flash: Pepsi-Cola has sold more cola than anyone else (excepting Coca-Cola).

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Post it over at the TDI Club, then stand back.

jgilliam1955 and cwerdna like this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually I've seen some good work over in the TDI Club and would not willingly disturb them. There are folks in the TDI Club who take an experimenter's point of view to their ride and gather good data.

I'm one of those who believes use the right tool for the right job. There are missions where a diesel makes most sense just as there are those for hybrids and even gassers. For example, my airplane project is going to use a liquid-cooled, oil-injected, two-stroke with a variable pitch propeller. Yet when I say "two-stroke," a lot of pilots and mechanics suddenly 'get the vapors.'

Right tool for the right job even though the 'advocates' won't hear of anything other than their recently acquired 'true religion.'

Bob Wilson

frodoz737 likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In my environs diesel continues to be some 20-30% more expensive than petrol. If the rest of the country is similar then 100k sales for a year is pretty impressive.

As for VW spin -- it reminds me of the headache remedy commercials that say loudly with pride "no other brand is better!!" while hiding the fact that other brands are as good (and a lot cheaper). Happy New Year to diesel fans, too stupid to realize they are being manipulated.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but only to a point and then the hybrid hater-aid gets passed around. The same thread has been going over there for a couple of weeks and it was fine until hybrids were injected. I give up after that. :rolleyes:

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    once the hyacc is in full production, the world of auto reviewers will be changed forever. they will come completely over to the dark side. 'these aren't the droids you're looking for...'

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Over 50% of the population make choices on purchases based on hype and advertising.

That's why politicians and anyone who sells anything uses slogans, hype and popular opinion rather than technical specification and performance. That's why we got so many bad politicians and so much "buyer's remorse with them."

Some of the cars with worst reliability are the best sellers.

I've worked with diesels for 10 years, when I was in San Diego and owners put in big aluminum tanks to buy fuel in Mexico in the 1980's.

1. Diesel mechanics are rarer than gasoline engine mechanics and basically charge more.

2. Diesel fuel "stink" lingers on your hands even when you wash with soap and water.

3. Oil in the crankcase become "instantly" pitch black. Got it on you hands, and it lingers for days.

4. Diesels must be kept running even at idle. Hybrids go into EV mode. Diesel MPG plummets in stop and go traffic.

On the basis of the factors above, I will NOT likely ever own a diesel car.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ditto.:) toyota should make a commercial about the lady in the audi commercial 'mistakenly putting diesel in her gasser. then, they should show her hands after she fuels up.:p

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just smell her clothes when the pump fails to cut off and splashes the stuff on her.

16. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I have been an admirer of the VW TDI, it's MPG has suffered thanks to government requirement changes to design. VW has always been a big seller and developer of TDI, thanks mostly to their european base.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When was it that you worked with diesels? Friend had a 1980 diesel Rabbit, and diesel did stink in the '80s and '90s. I had to use some ULSD to keep the heating system from going off. Spilled some of course. No stink.

As you said diesel mechanics are rarer. That means they can charge more. If the local mechanics in your town are unable to work on a hybrid, then the dealer can charge(even) more. With diesels selling at lower rates than hybrids, there is no incentive for the typical shop to bother with them. With increasing makes and numbers, there is an incentive, and diesel tech rates will lower. This is simple supply and demand.

Gasoline car mpg plummets in stop and go traffic. While idling the diesel will consume less fuel than a similar displacement gasoline engine.The hybrid v. diesel story sells print, and people like picking a team and becoming devoted to it, but the big picture is really hybrids and diesel v. gasoline.

The fuel cost is higher per volume, but that isn't the real issue. The real one is that people don't think or bother giving a closer look. When compared using EPA numbers, gasoline and diesel variants of the same model cost around the same per mile in fuel.

Most diesels aren't as clean as hybrids. They can be cleaner, and the ones sold now during their rising popularity are much cleaner than the fleets of ones cruising European highways right now. Being as clean as the typical gas car is seen as a bad thing, but what is the magnitude more of typical gas cars on the road compared to both hybrids and diesels. Isn't it better for something to get an equally clean diesel than a gasser, and use less petroleum in fuel?

Hybrids do not work for everyone. It is better for all with more options for them.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The big picture is fuel efficiency and conservation. Diesel belongs in trains and trucks, not personal vehicles.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Its is. But where is the hybrid pick up that could do the work of the straight gasser?

If we want to improve fuel efficiency, we are going to have to allow choice. Even if the choices aren't ideal. Hybrid market share as grown because of more choices. Yet hybrids are still not going to work for everyone. A diesel car is better than a gasoline one for those with more highway miles.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Government requirements was to force diesel to meet the same minimum standard as gas vehicles. Allowing greater smog-related pollution didn't make sense.

As for popularity in Europe, much of that is due to the price of gas being so much higher than diesel there.