1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

difference between 3M clear bra and clearshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by syncmaster, Aug 20, 2006.

1. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am wondering is anyone has used both 3M clear bra and the clearshield clear bra.

the price on ebay is $24.95 for clearshield and $169.99 for 3M clear bra.

here is the link:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?c...+bra&category0=

I have installed the 3M and it is pretty good stuff but I could save alot of money if the clearshield is just as good.

Thanks for your input

PS. for you wiseguys out there, I know the difference is $145.04

2. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syncmaster @ Aug 20 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]306411[/snapback]</div>

Syncmaster, did you do the install yourself? If so was it difficult? Are their directions available somewhere for the "do it yourselfer" or is it too dificult for the average non-professional installer? Thanks

3. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kn6vv @ Aug 20 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]306424[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I installed one set of the 3M clear bra on my car and again on my sons car.
    The first one was very difficult but that is the only way to learn how to do it.
    the second one was easier. If I ever do another one it will be a piece of cake.

you have to do it in a clean garage you can't have any dust or leaves blowing around
    it will ruin the job. And you must leave yourself about 5 hours the first time.
    It helps if your not rushed.

here is a link in prius mod forum that I wrote helpful hints:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11603&hl=clear+bra

here is a link with pictures of my second install:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18585&hl=clear+bra

4. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syncmaster @ Aug 20 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]306431[/snapback]</div>
    Syncmaster - Thanks for the info as I was able to find lots of valuble information about the 3M film. Your photos look good too!

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

As I recall the ClearShield product is a very thin plastic that was not intended to protect automotive paint. I think you will find few sellers of the cheapo product -- all on eBay. I'd say go with the one you know -- 3M. You've installed it before so you know exactly what you're doing. Don't skimp on the material. (If memory serves me, the cheap material was something like 2 mils or so. Very thin.)

6. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Aug 21 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]306565[/snapback]</div>

I was hoping to hear from someone using the clearshield.
    if you read the clearshield web site it IS intended to protect auto paint.
    http://www.clearshield.com//index.cfm/fuse...on/Product.Home

It also has a 5 year warranty, and if you look up locate a dealer.... there are plenty of them.
    I doubt that professionals would be using it if it didn't work well.
    maybe the fact that it is thinner makes it easier to install.

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I looked at their website, and it says Clearshield is 8mm thick, the same as the 3M product.

I DO remember an earlier discussion about a clear bra product offered on eBay, but I don't remember the brand. People here said not to buy it because it's 3 mm thick. So that discussion wasn't about the Clearshield product.

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

You're right. This auction is not the thin stuff I was thinking of. The seller has feedback that's a bit lower than I would hope. But then he's selling a product that most people have no clue how to install, so his feedback is bound to suffer. Boy it sure is cheap!

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try it out and let us know ;)

10. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 21 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]306675[/snapback]</div>
    I' not a DIY person, but I will at least call a local installer to get a price. The closets 3M bra installer to me is over 70 miles away; and Clearshield has an installer about 25-30 miles away. I've had my white 2006 since April and I really WANT a clear bra!