1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EUROPEAN AN USA PRIUS ENGINE?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by zsenom, Aug 11, 2016.

1. zsenom

zsenom New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there,i m new here,i m from belgium.

A month ago became a happy owner of a prius gen2;It has all the options they had in 2006.
    It was imported from USA,what is rarity in europe.
    There are some differences in lights(it has been modified to european norm),brakes(drum brakes behind)
    Does anyone know if there is any difference in the engine(software setup) due to USA pollution norm vs.Euronorm?

2. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, as far as I know there are no differences in the Prius engine, ECUs, transaxel, etc. worldwide. It meets the SULEV standard which meets European, US, Japan, etc. standards

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The US-spec Prius will have a rubber bladder inside the metal fuel tank. European models have a standard metal fuel tank. As a result, the US model will have a varied tank size depending on how flexible the bladder is (new vs. old). In addition, you have to be careful when refuelling, especially as you near the top. Do not top off the tank as a US-spec Gen 2 Prius is known to "vomit" or "regurgitate" the fuel back out the spout and spill on your shoes if you overfill.

The engine is the same as far as we know. If there are differences, it's not mentioned to the public. The US spec does not have an EV Drive Mode. I believe European-spec Gen 2s had an EV Drive button.

4. zsenom

zsenom New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for Your answers,

i didnt know that there is a bladder in US priuses-that explains...its pretty tricky to fuel it-but i m already use to it;)
    the EV button -i dont really miss it,if i have to go couple of kms i take the bike.
    I m driving it for 4months and about 5000miles and it has some minor shorcomings,but for a car from 2006 its a nice piece of engineering.

About a month ago i received the road tax bill which says my car is an Euro0 norm car with a CO2 emission of 213g/km,is means i have to pay 4times more than for an EU prius,and cannot enter numerous cityes in europe beacuse i ve got a "dirty" car
    I called the dealer who said its a mistake and he will fix it.inbetween the dealership is out of business and i have a car which on paper is as dirty as a dodge ram.
    I contacted toyota belgium and they said there is nothing they can do because the USA priuses having a different engine???or software setup and they cannot guaratee that the car fullfills the european EURO4 emission norm.
    Is there any official car spec bulletin where all the emissions of an USA prius can be found?
    I checked the USA emissin norms,but they are a bit too difficult for me.
    EURO norm is based on CO2 emissions.
    Its a strange story,i never tought i m gonna end up with this kinda burocratie.but its tipical in belgium...
    I would like to know of there is any difference in the engine setups,performance,emission of gen2 priuses worldwide.
    any help welcome

5. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct. In mine (bought in Germany eight years ago) there is this button.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This might help: http://delphi.com/docs/default-source/catalogs/delphi-worldwide-emissions-standards-pc-ldv-15-16.pdf

The Prius is SULEV certified in the US so you can see the SULEV emissions numbers there. However it looks like the test cycles are different than Europe, so this might not be accepted. Is there a way to have your car emissions tested to certify it appropriately?

7. zsenom

zsenom New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for Your answer,the delphi tabs are really useful,but the difference in testing metods are different.
    To let the car individually tested cost more than a new prius...
    at the moment I m asking toyota belgium to prove me that not all Priuses having the same engines.wondering what it gives...

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To play devil's advocate just because the car has the same engine does not mean it has the same emissions. Car's today can be made to run lean or rich via software. The Prius actually does this purposefully. When you first start the car, until the engine is in phase 4 of the warmup cycle, it actually runs hotter and richer than most vehicles to get it up to temperature fast. Then it produces lower emissions after the warmup. This is why you get relatively poor fuel economy during the first few minutes of turning the car on.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. zsenom

zsenom New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I understand Your point,if i had know i m gonna get this trouble I wouldnt buy the imported prius,i assumed that the prius is a prius,and i think I m right.I m getting a 46-49mpg,it means around 5l/100km,wich is the same as european models,having the same parts in the car,and as i know the US prius is around 160g CO2/mile=104g CO2/km european equivalent.
    Until now nobody proved me that there is a different or a same software setup,the only person told me there is a difference was a clerk at Toyota import belgium.