1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference between GVIF and AV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MagnusAG99, Jul 24, 2018.

1. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am just wondering if any of u guys know the difference between GVIF and normal AV (with AV I just mean a normal video input cable, I’ll just call it AV in this post) in the Toyota head units? My Prius got the parking assistant so the rear camera and the parking assistant goes thru the gvif instead of any normal AV, and I am just wondering What the difference is between them? I know that AV just got two wires, while the gvif got three, why is that? Is Toyota using gvif instead of ah because of the third wire in the gvif so the head unit can send information back to the parking assistant ECU? (With “information” I mean touch, because with the parking assistant in the prius u have to confirm the parking spot and such.) but yea... if I got a gvif to AV adapter, what potentially would not work with the parking assistant? What is the point with using gvif instead of normal AV?
    Thanks for answers, I really don’t understand what the point of using gvif is.

I have found some gvif relay boxes so I can add a 360 camera while keeping the parking assistant. But they cost like 270 dollars, I don’t wanna waste 270 dollars if I don’t have to if I can just buy an adapter that changes gvif to AV.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    GVIF is a digital encoding: GVIF

AV is analog waveforms. So yes, a converter between the two has to be nontrivial.

I think in your car the backup camera is still analog, but connects to the input on the parking ECU instead of the headunit. The ECU is converting it to digital and doing some image processing on it, at least to add the reference lines. Then just sends the whole resulting signal, still digital, over to the headunit.

-Chap

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  3. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yup, thats exactly what it does, camera goes into the parking ECU, and the ECU adds the lines and the parking assistant.
    From what i can see, this will work GVIF car video interface for Lexus, Toyota, Land Rover, Cadillac, Jaguar to add a second video source, or well... it says "up to three", which would be great, cause then i could get a 360 camera and blind spot cameras on the front bumper.
    It seems like with that kit i have in the link there, connects to the end of the gvif the parking ECU sends out, and allows me to connect more video sources as a normal video source, but it converts it to gvif so the head unit can "read it".
    kinda funny how car solutions said it was impossible to add a second video source in the gvif then they sell a box that does exactly that themselves.. they pretty much said that their own product didnt exist lol.
    if i have understood what it does right?

#3 MagnusAG99, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018