1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference between the Toyota ipod input and the DICE one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jjason82, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jjason82

jjason82 Newbie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I didn't buy the stock Toyota ipod connector when I purchased my Prius because it seemed a lot more expensive than what I could buy separately. I have the package 5 Prius with the AUX input in the armrest. Is the DICE one the same as the Toyota one? Are there differences? I notice on some they talk about drilling a hole in the CD case below the cd player and wiring it into the back of the player itself. That's not what I want. I want to just plug it into the AUX plug like the stock Toyota one is supposed to.

2. jjason82

jjason82 Newbie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Also, somebody told me that the DICE one is able to be controlled through the touch screen and the one sold through Toyota isn't. Is that true?

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't seen the Toyota one (it wouldn't work for my 2007, anyway, I'm told), but I can't see the value of it if all you do is plug it into the AUX jack and have no control over it through the MFD or the steering wheel controls. In that case you're no better off than am I. I plug in my iPod (and iPhone) direct to the AUX. At least I can control the volume through the car's MFD and steering wheel. The male-to-male connector cost only a couple of bucks!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you mean iPod connection cause you already have the auxiliary input jack in the centre console like you said.

It doesn't require drilling (that's only if you want to have the wire stay in the in-dash compartment). Most of us wired it to the lower glovebox.

It is a simple plug-n-play but will require smaller hands to reach around to the back. Instructions are in the Knowledge Base section.

The iPod connection allows steering wheel controls (as well as radio controls) so you don't need to touch the iPod. It also recharges and automatically connects/disconnects to/from the iPod when you start/stop the car. It will display the title, artist and album on the screen. It will show up as CD2.

It will also play regular MP3 players.

How is it different? It's cheaper and includes an AUX input jack (for 04 and 05 owners or owners of 06+ Prius without JBL audio)