1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference in mileage and battery charge with different driver

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Tamyu, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously it comes down to driver style, of course, but there are a few things I am curious about.

My husband gets significantly lower mileage than I do (17kpl, 40mpg), driving the same route, same time of day, same settings, etc. But at the same time, he always has a high amount of regen and his battery stays above half.
    I get around 22kpl/50mpg, but seem to have little regen and my battery is always 2 bars. If the engine charges it up to 3, it is down to 2 in no time.

The biggest differences I can see between our driving is that I tend to brake early and slowly (or just sort of let the engine brake do the work if I`m not sure I need to stop)... And then accelerate quite quickly (but still slower than the rest of the cars) from a stop.
    My husband brakes late and firmly, but accelerates much more slowly from a stop.

I can see where a difference in mpg would come from as he tends to be pressing the gas much longer even when there is red ahead, but I don`t know why there is such a big difference in the battery charge. Is it bad for the battery charge to always be so low? The engine will come on to keep it from dropping to one bar, but it rarely goes over 2 for me. It will jump up to near a full charge for him in no time.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suspect much of your driving is at or below 45 mph (73 kph)? Whether that is true or not, I'm pretty sure you spend more time with the HSI higher in the EV-ECO (left half) area of the power bar (using assist from the pack). Some portion of your mpg comes from electricity that he generated. The system does not account for generation or use of electricity, only fuel flow. You are, no offense, cheating:).

Regen is bad for FE compared to just gliding (keeping slight pressure on throttle to remove regen), because it means you used gas to get up to speed, then inefficiently converted a portion back to the pack. Both of you could perhaps improve here, but it sounds more significant in his driving.

Read Hobbits The Tao of HSI here: HSI

Try to pulse & glide rather than use assist.

His higher regen is bad, but so is your use of assist. Although the two are somewhat symbiotic, they may shorten the life of the NiMH pack, though I doubt it would show up for years.

1 person likes this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Regen in not good for mileage. Regenerated energy is better than tossing away the energy, but not as good as avoiding braking in the first place. Your husband's more aggressive driving style runs the engine harder, and causes more regeneration. Both of these will cause a higher SOC for the battery, while producing lower mileage.

Tom

4. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the driving is stop and go, pretty much all below 50kph. I would believe I were cheating with the mpg if he had driven more than 100km in total out of the 600 so far, and if I reset the meter when I got in after he drove it - not after delivering him to the train station then coming home (back down to the 2 bars I usually am in...) He drove the first 100km or so, and then is off on a business trip so I have had the car alone for the rest. :D
    The first time I tried resetting it immediately after sending him off, I managed to get about 3 mpg higher. :) So maybe I should cheat to get him to stop setting the panic brake thing off by braking so late.

I would say that the display tends to stay on the left while I am driving normally, and filling to the right (not going into power) while normally accelerating. I have figured out gliding without regen, and am using it a bit when feasible - but 9 times out of 10, if the light is red ahead it will be red for a long time so there is little hope of gliding to and through it. I don`t use any of the driving modes, so no setting of ECO or EV. In fact, I don`t think I`ve ever tried the EV setting as my battery is always too low to use it. :D

We`ve had the car for 1 week, and only 600km on it now, so I am pretty happy. :D

Pulse and glide is much easier when it is not city driving with lights on every other block... Which is what we drive. Inevitably, even if we do not get caught at one light we have to stop completely at the next. I have no idea how to try and keep mpg high in that sort of situation other than slow accel and low speed to begin with.
    On a 100km open road try, it was easy to get and maintain 30kpl (display, so probably lower in reality) at 75~100kph using pulse and gliding...

To be very honest, I am very happy with mpg at this point. Just really curious about whether the battery charge being sustained higher would be better, and whether I should try harder to charge it instead of reduce charge by gliding.

Thank you very much. :)

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to be clear, gliding as I use the term means the HSI bar disappears (no regen, no assist). So, I do not reduce charge when gliding except for small electrical overhead and headlights when used.

Congested urban streets can be tough. To improve, you'll need to accelerate to a lower top speed and glide, basically not making significant use of the brakes. It matters less how hard you accelerate than at what speed you stop accelerating.

I am not saying you can or should make such changes; only you can judge safe driving in your circumstances. Two bars tells me you are using significant assist and minimal ICE time. Nothing really wrong with living at two bars in my mind. But if hubby runs it up to 7 or 8 and you draw it down (over and over) that would be inefficient. Also, regen is sub-optimal for fuel economy compared to using the ICE as needed and then gliding.

Your early results are impressive! Keep looking for improvement.

6. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, this took a little bit of time to figure out. And it seems quite hard to keep it without regen and assist without being dangerous and watching the meter. So I just try. :) What I meant by "reduce charge" was more "reduce charging/regen" - sorry!

I see. Right now my husband commutes by public transportation and bicycle, so he only drives on weekends. Mostly it is me who drives as public transportation with a small child doesn`t work out so well - especially for my commute which is quite far and after dark.

Thank you! So far I am really just getting used to the car. In our previous car (non-hybrid) my driving technique was getting very good mpg. It seems okay in the Prius, but it was all with ICE so there are a lot of new things to learn with the hybrid system!
    For this first tank of gas I am mostly just looking to become familiar with the system and to understand why some things are the way they are (like me always having 2 bars, and my husband having full charge but low mpg). I suppose I am a little bit lucky when it comes to getting high mpg because of location and normal driving speeds for everyone. Even on the expressways, 100kph is about average speed so it is easy to stay in an optimal range and still flow perfectly with traffic. In fact, slow lane is sometimes flowing at closer to 80kph.

I imagine as I learn more about things I will have more questions. Thank you again for your explanation. :)

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ECO mode will help here by reducing the sensitivity of the throttle response at low throttle. That is its main purpose, the other being to reduce climate control drain when stopped.

Safety first. Good luck!

8. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tamyu,

Two things:

One, you may need more experience in different driving conditions to see whether you or your husband gets better milage overall.

Two, everyone's been talking about your braking styles, but I wonder about accelleration--since you say you accellerate more quickly than he does. Hobbit's piece The Tao of HSI talks about this too.
    Maybe that's it. I especially say this because I blame my failure to get huge milage numbers (is that l/100km for you?) partly on the fact that I accellerate quickly too.

Maybe I will try to do some experiments accellerating slowly and quickly over the same course to find out.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See if you can disguise the pulse & glide between the lights. Pulse then glide to the next red light. Yes I know you said you still have to come to a complete stop but at least you can get one pulse/glide run in between rather than running in EV or cruising with the ICE on at a steady speed in between the lights.

10. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I will try with ECO mode next time I am driving and see if that makes it any easier to glide without being aware of the meter.

I don`t know exactly how long it takes me to accelerate, but usually I start out a bit more slowly than the rest of the cars, then push a bit to bring the speed up to around 35~40km/h (20~25mph?) and try to glide mostly after that if there is traffic ahead or a light. So usually other cars will go more quickly than I do from a stop, but I am at pace with them (but they are several car lengths ahead of me) by the time I need to slow down again. All the cars will get caught at the same light, so I end up stopped next to and behind the exact same cars as at the previous light, and will start the process again. :D
    My husband will accelerate more slowly and evenly - but usually keep accelerating until just a bit before he needs to stop... Then brake fairly hard to come to a quick stop. He will start out a lot slower than the other cars, but catch up with (or be ahead of) them before needing to slow down... Just to stop with the same cars and repeat.

In my previous car, accelerating quickly then releasing the gas and rolling with occasional very light pressing to retain speed usually gave the best overall mpg (I am happy calling it mpg here as it is what everyone uses, but for us it is kpl :) ). So it is a habit to quickly get to speed and then try to retain it with as little gas as possible. I am guessing that because of the electric motor use in the Prius it isn`t quite the same... I am guessing that I use the ICE a bit to quickly come up to speed, but keep using the assist to retain the speed which is what is keeping my battery low. It appeared from the display that I was using the ICE only on acceleration from a stop, and the rest was coming from the electric motor unless the battery dropped too low and the ICE came on to help charge it.

When accelerating (not from a stop, but for example after slowing to be able to not stop at a light), is it better to try and make use of the ICE instead of the motor? I know that keeping the meter in the left half is using the assist as this was mentioned before, but I am not sure if this is something I should be avoiding.

I am trying to do this, but it is very hard to be sure I am not using the EV and really gliding without doing something unsafe like watching the meter. I am going to try with it in ECO mode as suggested by ksstathead to see if it makes it any easier to do gliding. :)

Thank you everyone for your great advice. I was able to get at or just below rated mpg/kpl for our previous car (15kpl rating in Japan - was getting 14~15 in summer, 11~12 in winter) so am hoping I will be able to get up to rating in the Prius (35kpl rating in Japan) too. Currently at about 22~25, so a long way to go... But still double what the old car was getting, in a larger car, so no complaints. :D Just room for improvement.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Stopping at every other light is a drag.
    No way to time the lights better ?

One other thought: two bars on the energy screen may be encouraging the car to run the ICE inefficiently to recharge the battery. I am not sure because my G2 Prius may be programmed a bit differently. Try gliding less in the beginning, until the battery is at 3 or 4 bars.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think a bit of EV matters in this case as Ken pointed out (I asked since it is more difficult to glide in the Gen 3 if it matters if I'm EV-ing slightly. He said it was ok since the power drain is miniscule).

ECO will make it easier as the accelerator is less sensitive.

wow.. it's rated at 3.7L/100km (city) in Canada. That's 27km/L. I'll be happy if I ever get that over an entire tank (my record is 3.9L/100km or 60mpg or 25.6km/L)

13. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don`t think so because it is not one straight road... So when I turn, it is another set of lights with another timing. I may be able to get better mpg by staying on the same road longest, but the time difference is huge (double the time taken to reach my destination) compared to taking back roads with many turns.
    Also, even without lights and just stop signs - you will get a ticket if you run through the stop sign without coming to a full stop. (My husband`s only tickets...) I have a perfect driving record so want to keep it that way with no risks, so always come to a stop at every intersection that is not a green light for me. The same goes for rail crossings. Here the law is full stop before crossing, and there are tons of rail crossings in the area. (very complex passenger rail system)
    I will always put the safety of a full stop before getting better fuel economy, and it did not cause many problems with the mpg of my previous car. :)

I am thinking this too, but it seems that not gliding would be inefficient also? Going downhill or with long stretches of road I can get the battery higher, but in normal city driving it stays around 2 bars. I don`t see the ICE running much to charge it, but it does come on when I accelerate from a stop and charge some then.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, we're required to come to a full stop if it's an uncontrolled railway crossing (i.e. no gate/red lights). If it's gated, then you're ok (if you trust the gates and lights :))

The ICE won't charge a full battery if you're stopped. It'll only charge from 2 bars to 3 bars. It'll let the battery charge itself as you drive (either by the engine or braking).

Btw, any difference in climate control setting btwn you and your husband?

15. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will definitely try and see if there is any difference later today. :)

Yes, but I think there is a very big difference in the speed people are driving. :) For here, the assumption is that even on the expressway people will not exceed around 100km... And most do not. (Sometimes there are crazy cars flying and dodging around people at 130+, but it`s not normal.)

The normal speed limit for regular roads is 45kph, and for large roads 60kph. Even with people speeding, it is still like 55kph~80kph. I am guessing that is much slower than the normal speeds in Canada and the US?
    I very much doubt I could get anything high if I drove around at the normal speeds for roads there.

Here I cannot think of any without gates and lights... But it is a rule to only use the gate and lights as guidance, and to always come to a stop and check with your own eyes. This is good advice here because a lot of the time there are buildings blocking the view of the track, so if the lights failed for some reason there could be a train right there and you not know it (until it came crashing into your car).

No difference. Settings are the same, and we will both turn on defrost if it is necessary.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well Canada is quite large so it really varies from city to city. A dense city will have 50km/h speed limits on regular surface roads. Bridges are 60km/h. Boulevards are 60km/h (the lanes are wider on those roads). Expressways are 80-90km/h within city limits and 100km/h where there's less exits and buildings are farther apart.

Other cities that are more spread out will have mostly 60km/h roads with 50km/h within downtown areas and other narrower streets. 80-100km/h limits on expressways within and around (ring roads) the city. 110km/h for those leaving/entering the city. (Most will do 120-140km/h although 140km/h will definitely get you a ticket in most places).

Small towns that are located along the highway have 50km/h speed limits (so yes you have to go from 100 or 110km/h down to 50km/h as you pass a small town then speed up again. The speed limits are gradual so it's not like you're going straight from 100+ to 50km/h).

I think I covered most of Canada lol.
    Well Japan is much more built-up than Canada. Lights and Gates are mostly in cities. Towns and smaller may have a light at most. Otherwise, there's only a white stop line.

I think our rail isn't as complex as Japan. Our major line runs west-east and in most places, is only one track IIRC. Also, all the railway crossings I've encountered are open with little to no obstruction (like trees or buildings) so you can definitely see a train coming even before the lights go in some cases.

Ahh ok. That rules another possible factor out.

17. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer to think in KPL and not l/100
    Too bad no option available on the screen.
    Can it be reprogrammed?

18. Tamyu

Tamyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it listed at l/100 in other countries? In Japan it is kpl... It seems strange that it would be kpl here but not in other countries using metric.

A little update on trying things. This evening, I tried to pay special attention to gliding. I used the ECO mode at first, but it seemed to make me use even more battery assist when not gliding as it was harder to push it up into ICE, so I did change back to normal after a bit.

On the 60km round trip (20 minute stop at one end, so I think the engine was still warm on the return) I was able to get 26kpl by the display. :D

19. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tamyu unfortunately in Israel (and i think in Europe) it is l/100 and not kpl.
    Wish it was like Japan!

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to like km/L too but I got used to L/100km fairly quickly (esp. since 0.0L/100km means EV rather than infinity km/L or mpg)

Yup, it's L/100km in Canada and mpg in the US.

Hmm... what are your pulse & glide speeds? We use 60-40km/h (if the limit is 50km/h).

When you're pulsing, make sure you fill the ECO area of the HSI (so full bar but stopping before the PWR area). If you only use the Hybrid ECO area (the darker green area) in ECO Mode, you're using the battery only. The engine will come on once you past the middle line and into the lighter green area in ECO mode.