1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Different types of battery modules

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by abubin, Sep 2, 2020.

1. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are currently few generation of battery types used for hybrid cars. I will refer more specifically to Prius Gen3 battery type as it is what I inquire.

hybrid-battery.jpeg

Currently in Malaysia, workshops doing battery replacement are selling 3 types of batteries.
    1) original type same with Prius Gen3 - this is type NP2.
    2) gen 2.5 which is said to be better quality used for Lexus
    3) new cylindrical type which is not to be mistaken with the gen1 type cylindrical. This new cylindrival type are also used for some Lexus and are introduced in 2018.

Can I know what are the state of hybrid batteries being sold in US or Europe? Are they still using original type?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dealers only supply original equipment.

'newpriusbatteries.com' supplies new cylindrical replacements with good success after a year or so in business.
    i believe there is a company here that installs new cylindrical batteries of a different manufacture. bumblebee maybe? i forget

3. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    newpriusbatteries.com seems like the kind of battery I am asking about. Anyone used them? Any good? New batteries are better than going with refurbished batteries.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, they have sold a ton of them for a year or so. most have reported no problems so far. there are a couple threads here by @2k1Toaster , he is the owner/developer