1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difficulties setting up Techstream

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by f*ckyourprius, Jul 19, 2022.

1. f*ckyourprius

f*ckyourprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently bought a mini vci and techstream software cd off of amazon because I didn't want something pirated or with malware, but after installing it, it keeps asking me for my dealer code and name, which I don't have. Has anyone else had this problem

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just leave that part blank, or make something up and keep the software from accessing the internet. Also if need be, mhhauto.com is a forum that has someone with a key generator. The forum costs like $25 to join, but if you want to use Toyota techstream...

3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you buy Techstream off Ebay or Amazon, it is pirated, nor will buying from Amazon protect you from malware. May be a text file or .nfo file on the cd with instructions for activating the software.

If you are worried about pirated Techstream then attached pdf on how to buy legit Techstream from Toyota for $1595

Attached Files:

#3 alftoy, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That "Techstream Lite" bundle flyer gets reposted around here every now and then, and leaves more people getting acute sticker shock from thinking legit Techstream costs $1595.

Legit Techstream has a combination of two costs: (1) what you pay for the dongle (one time), and (2) what you pay for the subscription activating the software.

You can activate the software for two-day periods for $65 whenever needed, or for a full year for $1295.

The Techstream Lite bundle is a $1295 yearly subscription plus a $500 dongle, bundled and marked down to $1595.

There's probably no need to think about a yearly subscription unless you'll be running a shop. And there are other dongles that work pretty well, for less money than the $500 one that Toyota officially endorses. (It's just that if you're using some other dongle and run into a problem, Toyota might not care much.)

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And who wouldn't want to pay $1595 for software access to Toyota, the #1 funder of US politicians who sought to support the violent overthrow of the government to keep Trump in power forever? https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2021/06/28/toyota-election-insurrection-republicans-congress-donationss/5370309001/

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Lol, guys, just making a point, a $50 copy of Techstream from Amazon is not pirated? (n)

7. f*ckyourprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I didn't know how much techstream was supposed to cost, I was hoping it was more accesible like normal code scanners.

8. f*ckyourprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn, I'll see if I can try to return it then, that really sucks.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are other "legit" options. At the top of this forum is a stickied app review thread. Short form is the Autel AP200 device and app has codes, data, (freeze frame + INF codes) for all ecu's on a Gen2, as well as a couple of service functions.

ThinkDiag has all that plus bidirectional controls, special tests and functions- practically everything that Techstream can do.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh for goodness sakes you leave that part blank I have the real CF19 toughbook with this software installed on it from the dealer I no longer have an active dealer login so you leave that blank now when you're scanning your car you're not online connected to Toyota to get the latest updates of that day or what have you so you're not getting the latest updates for your car or wherever they stand in firmware numbers at this point That's the only thing about that and most folks don't care run the software use it nobody cares Toyota sure probably doesn't

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lots of people get tech stream working, but there’s nothing simple about it

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: