1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difficulty removing tire valve caps

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eidling, Jan 23, 2014.

1. eidling

eidling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in the Northeast and we are having extremely cold weather. Yesterday my low air pressure icon came on. When I went to check the air pressure, I could not remove any of the caps.

My thought was to try some silicone spray or something like that, but, given the fact these things are connected to sensors, I thought I'd ask for advice here first.

thanks.

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try using some pliers to get a better grip/leverage?

Checking the air monthly regardless of whether or not the light is on should keep them from getting stuck.

The Electric Me likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd simply try some warm water first. Might not work, but most harmless approach first.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheap 10mm nutdriver for mine, after the dealership put on fancy Nitrogen-logo caps that I couldn't easily remove even in warm dry weather.

The standard caps probably need a smaller socket.

5. eidling

eidling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay - thanks to all who have responded so far. I was concerned about possibly damaging them (assuming they are plastic), but one or more of these ideas may work.

6. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had same problem as the OEM valve stem caps are kind of recessed below the surface area of the hubcaps on our 2012. I found some metal replacement caps at an auto or bicycle parts store that have valve stem core remover slots cut into their tops, which stick out an extra 1/8 inch or so, and I installed those. I have had no problems getting those off with bare fingers and could use a dime in the slot to help twist them off if necessary.