1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Digital Rear View Mirror Available in Japan (Not for Prime)

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, May 17, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point about the lens size. It is mounted on the rear window instead of on the tailgate like the Bolt so it needs to see through the glass (and at angle).

Either way, it's a dealer-installed accessory and not factory installed so that explains the design. Hopefully Toyota builds it into the mid-life update Prius. It would be nice to have (esp. since they think we fill the hatch up to the window glass by the size of the listed trunk capacity haha)

Insighter likes this.
  2. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So you think that they're blocking that area off intentionally so that car owners don't put a sticker or something else in that area that would block the camera's view? That's as good as anything I've come up with, but it does come at the price of blocking out nearly the entire view out of the back window. Still, I can see them going out of their way to avoid potential liability.

I'm attaching a photo (a still frame from video) that shows the video shot by my dash cam's (Blackvue 750s) rear camera (I need to move it to one side to get the defogger line out of the middle of the shot). The whole camera is about the size of your little finger, and the lens is no bigger than a dime. I'm guessing the camera that comes with that mirror might have much better quality, but this rear dash cam of mine is 1080p, I believe.

Attached Files: