1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dilemma: cheap 2006 or New?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TheNewGuy8, May 3, 2011.

1. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You would be passing up an AMAZING deal if you didn't take your dads car. That is extremely fortunate.

I got stuck with a 2006 Prius that has 230,000 miles on it...and I paid a little over $9k for it.. I'm also already into parts/repairs for the car over $2k now. I could've gotten a better deal.

Don't pass this up. You could always custom paint it too ;)

2. MelissaAnne

MelissaAnne New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait, I have a better idea...

Buy your dads Prius for me, and buy a new car for yourself...

That way, we're both happy!! I LOVEEE that idea. :)

and yes, I am totally selfish. lol

:bolt:

3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Buy dad's 2006 Prius, but if that's not available, buy a certified used Prius. Good luck with your decision.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on your good fortune! If money *really* doesn't matter, test drive both thoroughly and do what makes you happy. (Having been age 27 once I will observe that new cars are nice, and that money can matter more than you may now think. You may well find something better to do with the $12K difference.)

5. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drum Roll Please....

Wooooo! I won the coin toss :) :) :)

The more I sat with this decision the more I was convinced that I absolutely wanted to buy my dad's car. Not only is it the financially-wise decision but I'll be able to have fun with a prius that will be new to me and when I get tired of it I'll trade up.

Not to mention that I was getting very concerned about how I would manage getting a new car if it came to that - they're selling out everywhere and being sold way over MSRP.

This worked out perfectly. Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts, I greatly appreciate it.

And, for the moment, I retire from the Gen3 forum and will move myself over to the Gen2 forums :) I'll pop by every now and then to say Hi.

Thanks again

1 person likes this.
  6. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great choice, in a year gas prices will probably be down and Prius production up, and if you want a new one then, it should cost less than today.