1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dim headlights | Are new housings the answer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by David from Michigan, Feb 13, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, there's something else to consider.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. David from Michigan

David from Michigan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all Looking for advice before I invest in new housings.

2011 Prius. Lives outdoors in Michigan.

Problem: My low beam headlights are extremely dim, to the point where I can't drive safely at night.
    Question: Is it wise, at this point, to buy a new headlight housing and see if that fixes the problem?

Tried so far:
    • check voltage - as closely as we can check it, it's fine
    • ask others if it's just me - not just my eyes. They're scared to drive with me, too.
    • try repositioning bulbs - fine
    • LED headlights (Hikari) - only 1% better
    • extra bright halogen bulbs - only 2% better
    • ask hybrid and Toyota mechanics what the problem is - they say nothing's wrong with the electrical system and that the headlights are fine
    • de-clouding headlights - haven't tried because they're nearly perfectly clear

Other details:
    • One headlight housing was replaced by dealership ~2 years ago due to some recall
    • Both headlight housings occasionally have a few square inches of condensation inside
    • High-beams work just fine
    • The low beams have been this dim for the past several years. No change in their brightness.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    so you used lumen power for measurements?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Night vision gets worse as you age. Could go to some high quality leds designed for reflector headlight housings. Most of the time the lens are clouded to some degree, especially if original.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What’s the condition of the clear headlight housings? Clear, hazed over? Pictures?

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Any chance that your windshield is clouding over......or that you put on some kind of tint ?

Are you in the habit of running your dash lights on full bright, even at night ?
    Just that can cause enough glare on your eyes to make the outside look darker.
    Especially with aging eyes.
    Any chance of cataracts ? Failing night vision is sometimes an early symptom.

6. David from Michigan

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, should have clarified, 1-2% is really just a guess. I didn't measure it with a meter. The difference between the different bulb types, if any was really just in front of the car and as it got further out, the same problem persisted - too dim to see.

Thanks, I tried the basic Hikari h11 LED's as well as ultra-bright halogens. Do you mean an even brighter LED?

And yes, the clouded lens is what I was wondering about - perhaps worth replacing just the lens rather than the whole headlight housing?

I'll post a picture soon, but the headlight housings are surprisingly very clear except when a bit of condensation appears on the inside. Condensation usually disappears by the next day.

No tint or clouding on the windshield. And I thought in the pats that it was maybe my vision, but others with good eyesight also have the same problem (and are sometimes a bit freaked out to drive in the car with the limited visibility!)

#6 David from Michigan, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. tacopyro

tacopyro Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my new to me 2012 had bad internal Low Beam reflectors and i had to change both L & R assemblies.

To recount, The PO had White LEDs in the Low Beam and white ultinons in the park light. there seems to be a pattern around these lights that makes me believe that it causes some of the oxidation. car also lives outside with no cover.
    even after i took off the outside lens oxidation, it was hard to see at night. i had re aimed them to spec and it was still hard to see.

Finally took the headlights off the car and was able to see that the reflectors inside looked oxidized and the bulb mounts partially melted and burned from the LEDs. The plastic of and surrounding the bulb mount was brittle from the LED heat. it also let some moisture in which contributed to the reflectors deteriorating.

i then bought a set of used headlights, even tho it was yellowed with age on the outside, the inside was pristine.
    i did 3M Restore and then 3M Clear Coat and it brought it back to 95%. installed standard Halogen H9s and they are now excellent. hoping they would last a few years...

Hope that helps.

8. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my very dim 2010 H11 (Low beam) headlights with Auhder H11 Mini led lights. Rated at a 300% improvement over the
    old ones and I would agree with that. Just unscrew the old ones and plug these in, nothing else to do. The light is quite white and
    really improves visibility, the lights have a good cut-off across the top to prevent blinding ongoing traffic. Mine has run for a year now without any problems.

David from Michigan likes this.
  9. David from Michigan

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Yeah that's the route I'm leaning towards - combing through Ebay for replacements! Thanks for the info. Will post here when it's resolved!

10. David from Michigan

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that. Since the LED's I tried really didn't improve things, I'm pretty convinced it's actually the reflectors. Glad it worked well for you.